Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Bags on Hills Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you allowed to leave your bag on a golf green? Maybe this is all that is needed.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Are you allowed to leave your bag on a golf green? Maybe this is all that is needed.

really, I was at fault and if I had just stayed behind the thrower it would have been fine. That said, you could be behind the thrower on #3 cf green and have the disc come back at you.

Sounds like, if you put your bag down and no one says anything then you should just leave it there regardless
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

really, I was at fault and if I had just stayed behind the thrower it would have been fine. That said, you could be behind the thrower on #3 cf green and have the disc come back at you.

Sounds like, if you put your bag down and no one says anything then you should just leave it there regardless

I hope you didn't think I was laying blame. I'm just trying to think about how this would be resolved on the white ball course. The toughest thing to deal with is the proximity of DG holes to one and another. A lot more of a chance to have an errant disc land on another fairway than a white ball course.

A rule to keep our shite together. I know I leave my bag around the course all the time.
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I think the pdga has got bigger problems with the game then smoking, beer and smoking. Cant believe that ruling.

This is a 2 stroke penalty if you do this right? This should be a cardinal sin, not....well what does the (usually) laid back group think?
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pdga needs to add bags to the rules under equipment, and state thet are to be treated as if it were a person re: rules.
C-Kyle
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

I believe it is against the rules for a ball golf bag to ever be on the green. Also, if a player in ball golf hits another players bag there is no penalty but if he hits his own then there is a penalty. And just to be perfectly clear....I would never have ruled that shane interfered with the flight path by moving it. Just wanted to point out some ambiguity in the rules
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what do you know

Cgkdisc wrote:
RC has been contacted regarding this issue covering several of these scenarios that seem unclear.

Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...but what if what I'm saying during your back swing is funny?"

Will Ferrell
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughing laughing
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

You aren't even allowed to walk on the green while carrying a bag. Any course super will tear you a new one for doing it.
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Kyle wrote:
... And just to be perfectly clear....I would never have ruled that shane interfered with the flight path by moving it. Just wanted to point out some ambiguity in the rules
Fawk, you don't need to look to far to find them. It's always been my gripe. The "rules authorities" of the dg world do nothing for the rules with wishy-washy half thought out stances on what are really important rules clarifications, or by pointing at a rules ambiguity and just saying, "well, the group needs to decide."
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After taking a soccer ref course, about 1/2 way through the course, I realised the PDGA rules of DG are not set up well. They should also have a video(if they dont), about how to use the rules.
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:
After taking a soccer ref course, about 1/2 way through the course, I realised the PDGA rules of DG are not set up well. ...

Aaahhhhh.
You've now read at least one sports rules set, and having taken a sanctioned course, you've been exposed to a "case book" (i.e. the video) that details proper interpretation of those rules.

You now understand it is actually possible to define the rules. You know how they can be made clear and concise, and to cover virtually all foreseeable circumstances that might arise during the course of a game / round / match.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber, would you have left your bag in the same spot in a tournament? Would anyone just leave their bag around during a tournament? Maybe this is why there isn't a specific rule about this.

In a casual round, I would hope that Thumber would move his bag, because it's funny to move it out of the way. And really, in a casual round, would Lissy really try to stroke Thumber for moving or not moving the bag?
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Thumber, would you have left your bag in the same spot in a tournament? Would anyone just leave their bag around during a tournament? Maybe this is why there isn't a specific rule about this.

In a casual round, I would hope that Thumber would move his bag, because it's funny to move it out of the way. And really, in a casual round, would Lissy really try to stroke Thumber for moving or not moving the bag?

It was actually an OMPL match, so somewhat official

I didn't just leave the bag anywhere. I was standing right beside it. I would never just leave my bag and walk away from it if there was a chance it would be hit. Really, I assumed Mark was going to make the putt. It was within range.

I had a split second to decide what to do and all i could think was "Get the bag and let it roll"

my only mistake was being downhill of someone putting. Minor courtesy violation at best.

Interesting discussion though.
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents:

It's sometimes hard to properly interpret the rules because our casual golf habits create an infinite number of scenarios.

The spirit of the rule is that in competitive play your gear should not be on my playing surface any more than you should be in my line of sight. Any deviation from this idea is casual golf.

If Atos was putting on a pro card, there would be nobody or anything in his line of vision/field of play. If something like this scenario did happen, it would likely be because the card had a good groove and some casual golf elements had been allowed by the group ( if everyone agrees it can sometimes be helpful).

That said, picking up th bag would be a no brainer because it would be understood that this allowance for casual play had backfired. Hence the penalty.

To suggest that a putter can survey his playing field and accept new foreign obstacles on the playing field doesn't hold water. If it were the case, a group of buddies could line their bags up against an ob line...

Will Ferrell
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Shick wrote:
...If it were the case, a group of buddies could line their bags up against an ob line...

Right in the nose. Hard.
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Chuck Shick wrote:
...If it were the case, a group of buddies could line their bags up against an ob line...

Right in the nose. Hard.

Triple up the line for CS,

The fact is leaving the bag creates an advantage others dont get once your on the next hole. Its manipulating the course on purpose,
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:

The fact is leaving the bag creates an advantage others dont get once your on the next hole. Its manipulating the course on purpose,

thumbsup
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Rolly wrote:

thumbsup

I would certainly call someone out if i thought they were deliberately placing their bag in order to aid themselves or another competitor. That is flat out cheating and should earn a person a DQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: