Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League -> Kanata IL/IB Layout 2012 - Lemons and Lollipops Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Kanata IL/IB Layout 2012 - Lemons and Lollipops Reply with quote

You played it on Saturday. Liked it? Loved it? Great, except...? Favourite holes? Least favourite?

Lemons - what you didn't like

Lollis - what you did
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start.

Lollipops

- New #9;the par 4. I liked the optics of the snow bunkers from up on the turn of the fairway. Saw some great things - Don, Jess and Mr. Crane throwing right into the hills laughing - and Tyrant Dros hitting the side of the hill and skipping right over to have a simple putt for a 3!

I also like being on 6 and looking back towards the snow bunker green (read: white) and watching players putting/throwing over and around the hills. A simple thing, but it really defined what you were to do 300' up the fairway.

I have a feeling the tee may be moved for next weeks IB. Maybe.

- New #10. Much better than last year's offering, I thought. I saw flicks, annies, lefties hyzers, S-shots (no thumbers, but I was on a thumberless card...it's there too!). Deceptively far. I saw both woods on the fairway come into play. laughing It'll get you close to Tournie HQ too during your rounds, and it'll be nice to have the green of 9 so close to HQ as well as a fairway in 10 (it'll be a quick run to your car behind the arena as well).

- #3. The move of the pad up to the tree was cool. I think it opened up scoring for that hole. Still needed a decent shot to get your bird, but it wasn't a just a prayer for some. Nice winter golf addition.

- The new trees. Again, great work Mr. Kaufman. Those trees are awesome. I think we should start a Hit a Tree; Pay a Loonie fund. I can't wait for those to become HUGE and start making even more of a difference. Take a bow Andrew Kaufman (Andie are you goofing on Elvis, "Hey baby", are you having fun!).

Lemons

- #11. It's so stinking far. Though, most I listened to really enjoyed playing it, so I'm in the minority I think. Not sure what to do, except shorten it. I wonder how many birds (2) were scored on it on Saturday? I know The Tyrant scored a two.

- #2 and #5. They are what they are and I think they should remain the way they are, but man they're tough in the winter (just D really). And that "easy" thumber gap on #5 is closing up too. Maybe Mr. Kaufman can work some more magic for us with the City. I don't want them changed; that's the Kanata course--easy in the summer, a wee bit tougher in the winter.

One more Lollipop

- Kanata. It's a great course for winter golf. It really is.

Last edited by Jefrey A. Brother on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further your thoughts, here's the stat run-down from Saturday's IL.

deuce
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favourite Hole: #9

That second shot is great. Lots of options, and lots of room to get into trouble. Drive off the tee is a bit boring. Move that teepad to bring the trees on the left and the soccer posts into play and it's a winner!

Least Favourite Hole: #11

For 90+% of the golfers out there, this is going to be a very boring par 3, as it's just not reachable for most. Besides changing the hole altogether, I think shortening that hole a bit would be an improvement.

Lollipops:

#9 is a lot of fun. Nice to have a par 4 to deal with.

#10 was a pleasant surprise. When setting up the basket with Penton, I really thought it was going to be a boring hole. However, as already mentioned, it's longer that it looks and aggressive lines can easily find the woods.

Lemons:

#5 is long. It would take one hell of a drive to score a 2 there (no 2's on Saturday, with an average score of 3.4). The tee pad felt like it was in "no-man's land". Too far for most to consider going over the top, and no real line through the gap.

#11 - see above.

Last edited by deuce on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adrian1657
Driver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollipops:

#9 is a fun par 4 and love the snow fort.

#10 was a fun one as well. you can easily find your self in the woods. (went in there after a disc and came out with two. Jess did you get your disc off your car)

#3 moving the tee next to tee.

Lemons:

#5 is long. not my fav. hole in the summer and still not fun in the winter.

Over all it was the great layout.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you guys do to #5? Pull it back even further? Is it possible to go over the top?
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
What did you guys do to #5? Pull it back even further? Is it possible to go over the top?

I sent out Atos and Errol out to place the tees with the help of the map, they did the best they could.
I's day it was pretty close to 5 longs but its so much further in the winter with no run up.

Some tweaks are def. in order.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andros wrote:
Thumber wrote:

I sent out Atos and Errol out to place the tees with the help of the map, they did the best they could.
I's day it was pretty close to 5 longs but its so much further in the winter with no run up.

I'd say it was pretty darn close ("Close enough for Jazz" or "Close enough for the girls I go with"--take your pick) to the longs, but it was tough to get one over for whatever reason (air quality, snow pads).

Andros got one over the first round. Clipped and fell (probably didn't have the legs anyways) the second, and tried the far right side with a monster that got knocked down early.

There were no big thumber throwers out there on Saturday, too. But even that route is looking scary.

I know what I'd do this Saturday.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
andros wrote:
Thumber wrote:

I'd say it was pretty darn close ("Close enough for Jazz" or "Close enough for the girls I go with"--take your pick) to the longs, but it was tough to get one over for whatever reason (air quality, snow pads).

Andros got one over the first round. Clipped and fell (probably didn't have the legs anyways) the second, and tried the far right side with a monster that got knocked down early.

There were no big thumber throwers out there on Saturday, too. But even that route is looking scary.

I know what I'd do this Saturday.

5 longs is always a dicey thumber at best. That tree and brush line have just got so big

I have been going hyzer over the top as well.....but if dros isn't making it???.....he throws far

so what is the option? A lame putter run up to the gap, putter again to the green and get a 3? zzzzzzz
andros

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be better for hole 5 at the Ice Bowl?

Moving it to the short tees? Or finding somewhere in the middle?
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
5 longs is always a dicey thumber at best. That tree and brush line have just got so big

I have been going hyzer over the top as well.....but if dros isn't making it???.....he throws far

so what is the option? A lame putter run up to the gap, putter again to the green and get a 3? zzzzzzz

Andros made it. Once.

I wouldn't change the hole for the IB. Nor would I change the idea for all other days. It needs to be cleaned up and brought back to it's original idea; up the gut with a really nice shot. Going over top was supposed to be the cheating route for those who couldn't snake one down a pretty decent gap (*cough*penton*cough*).

It's going to be a course managment (hole managment) type of hole on Ice Bowl Saturday. YOU DON'T WANT A FOUR! Or if you're Twirly, a Mullie 7. laughing It is, what it is.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian1657 wrote:
Jess did you get your disc off your car)

I think she did, Adrian. thumbsup
andros

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Thumber wrote:
I have been going hyzer over the top as well.....but if dros isn't making it???.....he throws far z

Andros made it. Once.

And took a par, too far for a birdie bid.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andros wrote:
What would be better for hole 5 at the Ice Bowl?

Moving it to the short tees? Or finding somewhere in the middle?

Leave it. It's a real hole in the Summer. It's something we have to deal with in the winter. We'll get over it and have a love (hate) in about it at Jack Ass's.

Then we'll mount an email/PM movement to get Kaufman on the City to allow us to clean up our freakin hole!! big grin (picture a town hall meeting with Kaufman at the mic yelling at the councillors)

Last edited by Jefrey A. Brother on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
andros

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
- and Tyrant Dros hitting the side of the hill and skipping right over to have a simple putt for a 3!

Those snow bunkers are awesome! big grin
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andros wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Thumber wrote:
I have been going hyzer over the top as well.....but if dros isn't making it???.....he throws far z

Andros made it. Once.

And took a par, too far for a birdie bid.

Over the top NEVER guarantees you a bird...usually just takes the bogies out...usually...sometimes.

Back in the day...cue the old man talk...those freaky annie throwers in the Club would throw to the left of the tree, fly over the schnarbie thorns and sumacs and fade nicely to the green. It was an awesome throw. It's not there anymore.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were last year's IB numbers:

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Here's the "math" results after I punched in the numbers.

There were 25 players (I didn't include the Food Bank dude), so the Count is at 50 (25 x 2 rounds).

The 2s, 3s, etc are the amount of times that score happened on that hole.

Average is the Mean score for the hole.

StdDev is a number that shows how much variation or "dispersion" there is from the mean.

The Handicap is the ranking from hardest (1) to easiest (12) based on the standard deviation. Yes, there are opinions that state this is not the best way to rank the holes, but oh well. We can see the numbers.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 birdies! Jebus. Are we sure we played from the longs? I'm starting to think not.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
14 birdies! Jebus. Are we sure we played from the longs? I'm starting to think not.

Pretty sure it was from the longs. I do remember throwing hyzer bombs over the top
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked. Last year we played from the shorts. That would explain a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: