Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> ODGC Tournaments and Events -> Mud Slide Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Mud Slide Discussion Reply with quote

For discussion
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Kyle wrote:
Now my big question is where does my remaining $30 go because this does seem steep to have nothing included?? Is there a cash payout or something???

andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Tyrant is born.... Twisted Evil
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Kyle wrote:
Thumber wrote:
axelfudge wrote:
Sounds like a great time! Little cost prohibitive for me and I will certainly regret missing my chance to play the Alcove for the first time with style!

Have a great first tourney!

If Stace and I can find a way to make this tourny cheaper, is it going to attract more people?

Just the way I see it is if you have 20 people, at $25 a head, that's $500 for prizes, which is 3 main prizes and 5 card prizes. So, each prize will have a value of just over $60. I don't see any reason for prizes to be worth more than $30 and that would be for the main prizes. Not trying to stir the pot but this is the only tournament I can play in April and the only thing holding me back is cost.

Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andros wrote:
C-Kyle wrote:
Not trying to stir the pot but this is the only tournament I can play in April and the only thing holding me back is cost.

If you can't go to a tournament because the cost is too high don't go after the TD go after your boss for a raise.

You're barking up the wrong tree dude.

Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lissyssil wrote:
If you ask me, which you haven't, $35.00 for a tournament is pretty cheap. Hell, the Tournoi de Glace at Ignace Bourget was $25.00.

Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Kyle wrote:
I have no issues affording it...the issue is completely where the money is going. It makes sense that the money goes to the land owners and stace's parents and as well I assumed something went to the club. It just seems that it's a lot of money towards prizes. The way I look at it is it is a bare bones tourney, the same as Falling colours, but the price point is $10 higher. I am not looking for an arguement, I just like to know if my money is being squandered.

Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Kyle wrote:
No lunch and no players pack seems to be the definition of a bare bones tourney. I am intrigued now by the prizes as it seems like they should be worth it. Is it booze? big grin

Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:
andros wrote:
go after your boss for a raise.

The best way to increase the value of your labour is developing skills....
If nothing changes the Boss wont help.

Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to point out a few things for people questioning the costs.

First - This is my event, not an ODGC club event. The costs are what Stace and I set them at.

Second - DG isn't free. The City of Ottawa and CF offset a huge amount of our cost to play by allowing us to play for free. That doesn't mean DG is free.

Third - I am not making a cent on this tournament. If you think the costs are too high then I respect your decision. But creating a negative energy around the event because you think its too expensive is very unhelpful and not supportive at all.

Last edited by Thumber on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
surge
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andros wrote:

Karma for 400 Alex. big grin
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surge wrote:
andros wrote:

laughing laughing laughing

Point.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
surge wrote:
andros wrote:

laughing laughing laughing

Point.

Apparently you have to be
ottawa_adam
Deliverer of Democracy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this event is not an official ODGC event, then why is it listed under the OGDC events section? I honestly feel misled about this, as I thought it was an official club thing. Shouldn't it be listed under the other events, like the OD tour is?
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
I'd like to point out a few things for people questioning the costs.

First - This is my event, not an ODGC club event. The costs are what Stace and I set them at.

thumbsup

Thumber wrote:
Second - DG isn't free. The City of Ottawa and CF offset a huge amount of our cost to play be allowing us to play for free. That doesn't mean DG is free.

"The City of Ottawa and CF" plus all the private and temporary courses... The revenue the club gets outside of memberships is primarily sanctioning (fee's per event). These rounds happen thanks to event organizers and the locations hosting those events.

Thumber wrote:

Third - I am not making a cent on this tournament. If you think the costs are too high then I respect your decision. But creating a negative energy around the event because you think its too expensive is very unhelpful and not supportive at all.

I don't see it as a big negative though. People are sharing thoughts and opinions. That feedback, whether you like it or not, should be appreciated.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ottawa_adam wrote:
If this event is not an official ODGC event, then why is it listed under the OGDC events section? I honestly feel misled about this, as I thought it was an official club thing. Shouldn't it be listed under the other events, like the OD tour is?

What is the issue Adam? You don't like the price, fair enough. Now you feel mis-led.....how so. What would it change were it listed somewhere else?

The only reason its listed as an ODGC event is it is included in the PC Race. That does not mean though that events need to be super cheap and bare bones.
ottawa_adam
Deliverer of Democracy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane, forgive the questions as I'm still a NEW member to this club and haven't been part of the club for a full year yet.

That said, I'm having trouble trying to wrap my brain around how a non-affiliated club tournament is part of the president's cup.

You don't need to get all defensive, my questions are genuine, as announcements and events aren't always what they appear to be around here.

If this tournament had no bearing on the club's activities (ie President's Cup), then I would have absolutely no problem with the price. I feel the high price will exclude some people who want to reach for the cup but cannot afford to now.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been attacked over price for the last day and a half so I'm sure you will extend me some understanding in terms of my frustration.

The PC race is multiple events. This allows players to pick and choose their events and associated costs and still compete. You do not need to participate in every event.

This conversation has almost nothing to do with the Mud Slide and has everything to do with what is a club event.

I recommend sending a pm to the exec for more info.

I'm just the TD of one event and would like to keep the conversation on target please.
ottawa_adam
Deliverer of Democracy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shane, I'll direct my club questions to the exec and let you get on with organizing your tourney. Even though I won't be there, I'm sure it'll be a blast!
C-Kyle
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize questions were attacks....I was thinking when people bring up your financial situation with no understanding of what your finances are then that was a perfect example of an attack. All I ever wanted to know was where my money would be going and what was in it for me. The reason I kept asking was because of unclear answers. They were eventually answered well enough and now it seems that others were unclear. Seems as though all is straight now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> ODGC Tournaments and Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: