Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Other Events -> 2011 ODSA Provincial Disc Golf Series Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
John Pytel wrote:
1) The final should move around. Dave is going to hate me for saying that. TIML is a great event. It just seems to me we should be able to move the ODSA final around though. Consistent weekend. ODSA chooses the course or has a bidding process for the event.

Good idea. Though, would this take the CC off the Gold calendar?

Not sure. Hope not to change things. I suppose the best would be TIML is always Gold but the final is roving. You'd obviously have to re-sort out the dates. TIML is awesome but it just got huge with mando attendance. I think the final is almost a guarantee now. Make people who want to host it pony up. Could be a nice impetus for well planned course improvements at certain locations? We host it and we'll do this to this course....

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
John Pytel wrote:
2) Gold series need to be 2 day events. Makes perfect sense. Does this mean there'll be a build up of 2 day events now so events can try and become gold? Maybe all the PDGA events are already 2 day events. I think a good blend of both works well. Maybe that is gold versus silver but I'm sure many silver events would like to be gold.

I'm pretty sure Christie Lake was a one dayer, and then just became two.

PDGA events can be one day, two day, three day...

I just keep thinking silver are events that "aspire" to be gold as sort of written. Hopefully a road map to becoming Gold becomes more clear.
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peachgrinder wrote:
Plaid doesn't appear to be on the schedule anymore.

Plaid looks like it's back on. Oct. 8th.
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how did the Ottawa crowd fare at Christie Lake?

Let's hear those stories!
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ottawa needs a wooded course.

Last I heard Holly was leading her division (Meldrum and I left within 5 minutes of dropping off our card).

I think I finished second last, and Meldrum 3rd last. A lot of lessons learned.

This is what I wrote for Ben:

Quote:
I can sum it like this: instead of warming up with some throws on Sunday morning, I warmed up the vap and was 30 feet from my starting tee when the start up horn went off...I was second on the card and Joel was first, and he was about 50 m behind me).

It was good.

Course was a wooded course that had a "professional" designer (meaning he got paid). The designer walked the property once, then came out again with flags and put in an initial layout (which pretty much came up with the flow) and then 3 days later, without the designer's go ahead, the Conservation Authorities installed the course based on the flags. So it's a little rough and some holes need some working on.

The shorts were fun. Most of them I walked up and understood what I had to do, it was just a matter of figuring out if I could do that. I had a Ben score of 9 on the first round (all inside 20). I shot a -1.

The longs are whole different story. They were freakin tough. 10 of the holes you could see the "throw". 4 of them you could see the throw if you could just dodge those trees in the "fairway". 3 were poke and hopes (and hope a lot). And hole 18 was just ridiculous and there was no way intuition could help you when you first walked up to the tee (the prefered "route was to throw up the fairway, 50 feet past the shorts, 200 feet short of the turn in the fairway, turn 90 degrees and fire a thumber over the summacs to the green under a pine tree). I shot a 4, 5, and a 7 on #18.

Kim Scott-Wood shot on average 8 strokes better than me each round. For Saturday, that was all putting. Sunday I was going for broke and attempting the "intended" throw instead of the Play-my-own-game throw. I figured I better learn something from this experience.

The trees were everywhere, and they would bounce you into some of the nastiest rough ever. Many times I watched players turn backwards and try to throw behind them to a safer spot. There were two holes where I tried to reach a neighbouring fairway off the tee, to try a different attack back to the green. Both times shaved 2 strokes off the previous round.

The Conservation Area went looking for disc golf, and got it put in. They freakin love it. The disc golf sign is bigger and more easy to see than the actual park sign.

The park is HUGE and has beaches, canoeing, trails and stocked fish ponds. There were fishermen there all day Saturday and Sunday. I left a Firebird in the one of the trout ponds. This course will be wicked awesome in a couple of years.

It was a wooded course, and my strengths are not in the woods. I think I finished second last just ahead of Joel and one stroke behind Meldrum. I made all of my 23 come backs if that tells you anything about my weekend.

Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meldrum shot a 14 over in the second round, and a 1 over on the third. Both from the same tees. I shot a 61, 60 and a 65 (I think).
andros

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow sounds like a challenging course.

Too bad you guys didn't do as well as you hoped.

Was the weather over there as nice as it was in O town?
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christie Lake is a great course.
It's fairly short, but nearly every hole is heavily wooded and has an unforgiving "fairway".

The wind on Sunday made for some interesting circus shots.

The first round was a tough one for the ladies. I think our scores ranged from 69 to 79. The afternoon was much better, and leaving the day I was two strokes behind the lead. (Leona and newish player Darlene were tied for first).

I played really consistently for the third round. Shot a 63, taking the lead by 2 strokes.

Sadly, for the 4th round I made a couple of bad decisions which resulted in a bit of tree and thorn abuse. Also, I made the mistake of giving Leona a straddle putt tip. Damn!

In the end, I came in second by two strokes. Not bad for a shorbus gal, I think.

Course and my play aside, I was pretty shocked at how unfamiliar the other ladies seemed to be with the rules. I made two calls of players moving objects out of their lie, and both times I was over ruled by the rest of the card. (Part of this is my fault, I should have been carrying a copy of the rules in my bag). I let a lot of foot faults go (touching the marker), but had to call and then explain one to a player.

I admit, I wasn't perfect either. I could have been called for a practice throw (I got hit by a disc and threw my own disc on the ground), but all in all it was stressful to be the "anal" one and made me grateful that you folk are so meticulous about The Rules.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Holly!!!

Yes, it is very frustrating when you have to be the "heavy" on the rules.

People playing in tournaments should know the rules
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the weather was fantastic on Saturday and pretty chitty on Sunday.
andros

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics from dusty are already up;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dusty5150/sets/72157626505824957/
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHA, I do look like an Oompa Loompa!
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great wooded holes. It's better than Brampton but similar in the good ways.

It was challenging but I think our high scores (mine anyway) had more to do with the fact that we were playing the course blind while trying to shake off the rust.

Many of the holes have an abruptly steep learning curve.

Will Ferrell
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- Oct. 2 or 3……Plaid Jacket - Ashton ON
sarcastic eye roll
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Other Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: