Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Other Events -> 2011 ODSA Provincial Disc Golf Series Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: 2011 ODSA Provincial Disc Golf Series Reply with quote

Details found here;

http://www.ondisc.org/resource/resmgr/disc_golf/odsa_2011_disc_golf_series_d.pdf

Schedule found here;

http://www.ondisc.org/resource/resmgr/disc_golf/odsa_2011_disc_golf_series_s.pdf

The Capital Classic is in the Gold series and the Plaid Jacket is in the Silver.
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool for sure. Most of what I see I like. There's lot's that this will allow people to learn from.

It'll be interesting to see the impact on out of town attendance for the CC.

Best 3 of 5 qualifiers required for the final? It'll be interesting to see how many people not located in the Toronto (central Ontario) area that qualify. 2 in Toronto, 1 St. THomas, 1 Ottawa, 1 South river.

Also looks a little dry between July 10 and Sept. 17th on the Silver series but I'd note that 2 gold qualifiers and the final run in between.

I'd also note that while it talks about events "aspiring" to be gold level that you'd have to realistically be on the schedule more than likely before TIML final on September 10th. 3 of the current 9 silver are run after the TIML. Hopefully as the sport grows we'll see more gold level events but I appreciate they had to get a hold on the water down effect all the events running these days were having.

I find it odd that the "event" has to put in the added cash. Really? I get the need but if I ran a sucessfull independent event and was approached to participate in the series I'd be asking. Where's YOUR cash. Unless I'm missing something for what "ODSA Sponsorship" entails.

Knowing the players behind the series changes I trust their instincts and think it's going to be great. Nothing is ever perfect in the large geographical province of Ontario.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Pytel wrote:

I find it odd that the "event" has to put in the added cash. Really? I get the need but if I ran a sucessfull independent event and was approached to participate in the series I'd be asking. Where's YOUR cash. Unless I'm missing something for what "ODSA Sponsorship" entails.

I may not understand this entirely. Could someone explain why we are putting an extra $500 of club money into an event that mostly only sees ottawa players?
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
John Pytel wrote:

I may not understand this entirely. Could someone explain why we are putting an extra $500 of club money into an event that mostly only sees ottawa players?

I think to be clear the burden rests on the event TD and not the club necessarily.

I think that's why Rob was discussing generous things he was going to do personally to try and get that money together.

I think the intent is that "Gold Status" will draw outside players and the added cash is intended to off set their travel costs with winnings.

I think Rob was hoping that we'd make the "minimums" on our own (Ottawa players) then the travellers would be gravy.

Good exposure for the CC and Fortune in general.

My take was on IF you were already running something successful why would you join this series. Maybe my answer is simple. Cause if you ran something successful you'd have the added cash already and it would be moot.
andros

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:

Fire off an email to the TD positive Rob.
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Pytel wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how many people not located in the Toronto (central Ontario) area that qualify. 2 in Toronto, 1 St. THomas, 1 Ottawa, 1 South river.

Thats been a critique of mine since this started. The tour is set up for those in the GTA. I know of a better way to run the series that would not be so excluding of the rest of Ontario, but I dont think anything will ever change.
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:
John Pytel wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how many people not located in the Toronto (central Ontario) area that qualify. 2 in Toronto, 1 St. THomas, 1 Ottawa, 1 South river.

Thats been a critique of mine since this started. The tour is set up for those in the GTA. I know of a better way to run the series that would not be so excluding of the rest of Ontario, but I dont think anything will ever change.

Did you know that Twirly, Briggsy, and Deaner are on the board and worked on this? All good listeners.

I think there is a big difference between best 2 of 5 qualifiers and 3 of 5 for people outside the GTA/Central Ontario. BIG difference. The farthest they have to go is South River. O-Town (East) and St. Thomas (West)have to roll into Toronot/Central Ontario twice and then a third time for the final.

Nothings perfect with such a big province.

I think the ODSA winner should have a show down with the Presidents Cup winner for the real winner. big grin
andros

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Pytel wrote:
I think the ODSA winner should have a show down with the Presidents Cup winner for the real winner. big grin

I think they should have their travel gas bill paid for. smile

Last edited by andros on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who've already penciled in the ODSA dates that were there yesterday, some have changed.
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
For those who've already penciled in the ODSA dates that were there yesterday, some have changed.

Is there a link to the new dates? I went back and the ones I thought would change did not.

I think Solstice is on a Sunday now and should show the 19th.

I'm not sure if the Plaid is the 1st or 2nd of October.

Maybe a gold date changed but I didn't pick up on it.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only aware of the Gold Series dates and the Breezy Trees moved from April 16/17 to April 30/May1.
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
John Pytel wrote:

It ain't club money. There will be fundraisers as in the early days of this tourney to add the cash.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxie wrote:
Thumber wrote:
John Pytel wrote:

It ain't club money. There will be fundraisers as in the early days of this tourney to add the cash.

OK fair enough....who is the target group for fund raising. If its ODGC members, then its defacto club money in a sense. Not trying to start an argument here. Just want to understand rationale and method
axelfudge
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, any ODGC players participating in the ODSA series? I don't know much about it and would like some feedback on these tourney's?

Thanks in advance.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axelfudge wrote:
I'm curious, any ODGC players participating in the ODSA series? I don't know much about it and would like some feedback on these tourney's?

Thanks in advance.

I'm thinking about it (the Gold Series), and I've played a "version" of most of the tournies that are offered. But I have zero experience with the ODSA series they run (except for the CC being part of it).
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
axelfudge wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I'm thinking about it (the Gold Series), and I've played a "version" of most of the tournies that are offered. But I have zero experience with the ODSA series they run (except for the CC being part of it).

I've never played in the ODSA series (obviously. I mean, I haven't really played in ANY series), but I was already planning to play in a few of the events. The tournaments themselves shouldn't change much, aside from, hopefully, increased participation.

I CAN tell you that the TIML is an excellent tournament on an excellent course. Well worth the trip to T.O.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOLD SERIES
- Apr. 30-May 1st.…..Breezy Treez - White Spruce Park - Brampton ON

WSP is a wooded course. Some holes lend themselves to a "home course advantage" as the "best" line is sometimes over the top or through a hidden gap. I haven't played WSP in about 5 years, so it's probably gotten better, as most wooded courses do over time.

Its signature hole is #9, a STRAIGHT shot up the gut in a man made pine forest. Sick.

This tournie has been run by several people over the years and I usually have a fun time.

- May 28-29…………Black Fly Fling – Algonquin Disc Golf Course - South River ON

I haven't played ADGC in about 6 years and a lot has changed from what I've gathered. Never played this tournie.

- June 25-26…………Capital Classic - Camp Fortune - Chelsea QC

Nothing needed to be said.

- July 23-24………….DGI Invitational - Bronte Creek Prov. Park - Burlington ON

I've started the massages for this one. This course is one course that I don't mind at all paying $$ for (and you need to pay $$ to enter the park). This course is awesome. It's got everything. It is so fun to play. The club or course guys are dedicated to making this course high calibre. Dustin has run this tournie in the past (I was at the first one) and he's a high calibre guy (plus he drives a cool Jeep big grin).

- Aug. 20-21…………Flatts Classic XXVII - St. Thomas, ON

I love VA Barrie. It might be that it's a lefty course and my flicks are used on about 14 of the holes, but the fact that this is ONLY a disc golf venue might also roll into it. Hole #9 (?) is considered one of the "Best DG Holes" in the world. You'll have no problem with it after playing Fortune.

It's so pretty at VA Barrie, and playing the St. Thomas boys is always fun. They take their DG seriously (until they're out of it then they take their beverages seriously). Some good golfers down there. I'll be going to this one.

- Sept. 10-11…………Toronto Island Maple Leaf - Ward’s Island - Toronto ON

Run by a solid guy. Played on a solid course. And you could try to manage the "perfect" Island weekend: fly in on Porter on Saturday morning; play 2 rounds; sleep somewhere on the island; play two more rounds and get on Porter for the flight home.

- Apr. 16………EVC 7 – Centennial Park - Etobicoke ON

This is a really fun tournie, run by two old boys from TO, Bilous and Toddie-B. You get to play the valley, which is sometimes a tough thing to do in the summer. They add a bunch of holes. Great times.

- June 11………Alexander Graham Bell - Mohawk Park - Brantford ON

Never played course or tournie.

- June 12………Waterworks Championships - Open & Amateur - St. Thomas, ON

Another wooded course. Haven't played it in 10 years, and they've done a lot of work on it.

- June 18………Summer Solstice II - Little Lake Park - Midland ON

Never played.

- July 2………...Canadian Open - Ward’s Island - Toronto ON

The Island. Nuf said.

- July 9-10……..1st Canadian Masters - Waterworks - St. Thomas ON

Whow! Waterworks again.

- Sept.17-18……Dreamaker - Southhampton ON

Never played.

- Oct. 1..………. Plaid Jacket, Ottawa, ON

I've played this... big grin

- Oct.15……….. Octhrowberfest - Chicopee Disc Golf Course - Kitchener ON

Haven't played, though I've heard great things about the things they are doing here.

Last edited by Jefrey A. Brother on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
lissyssil
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
- June 25-26…………Capital Classic - Camp Fortune - Chelsea QC

Nothing needed to be said.
Dude! Talk it up! This tournament should be one of the highlights of Eastern Canada disc golf. I played nearly 25 different courses last year, including such punishing highlights as Maple Hill, and Camp Fortune still shines in my top 3 courses for variety of shots, terrain challenges, and views. Not to mention that the CC was a very well run event, and the participants, without deviation, were all fantastic!

Quote:
- Oct.15……….. Octhrowberfest - Chicopee Disc Golf Course - Kitchener ON

Haven't played, though I've heard great things about the things they are doing here.
HollyD and I played Octhrowberfest last year. Great one-day tournament on a nicely laid out course, save for a couple of repetitive holes. The designers have done a good job of bringing both the mountain (Chicopee Ski) and the lake at the bottom into play. It's a long drive for a one day tournament, but if the player's pack is anything like last year's, it'll be worth it just for that. (How's that wine tour, Cyle?) Chicopee is still nascent in the Disc Golf scene in Southern Ontario, but it's going to evolve into a great course very soon. Highlights include the nearly 900 foot downhill hole ?18?, and the treacherous first hole with the lake to the left swallowing up any over-hyzered throws.[/b]

Last edited by lissyssil on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's changed again. Wow. That'll teach yah to be organized.
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
And it's changed again. Wow. That'll teach yah to be organized.

Was Christie Lake always a 2 day event?

I'm curious to the format of 1,2,4 rounds on Saturday and 3rd round on Sunday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Other Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: