Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Match Play League -> OMPL Discussion II Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rolly
King of Commentary


Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9817
Location: South East Division

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: OMPL Discussion II Reply with quote

Does the field of players want to add the Mooney's Bay Temp course the the list of eligible courses a match can be played on?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thumber
LNF Champion


Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 8271

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: OMPL Discussion II Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:
Does the field of players want to add the Mooney's Bay Temp course the the list of eligible courses a match can be played on?


I think that would be appropriate.

I also think you should be able to play any course the 2 players agree upon. For example, I may want to play Rico at his Queensway course. Its an object course. Would this be ok. What about Radapaw Ridge?
_________________
meh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion


Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Posts: 8365
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: OMPL Discussion II Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
I also think you should be able to play any course the 2 players agree upon. For example, I may want to play Rico at his Queensway course. Its an object course. Would this be ok. What about Radapaw Ridge?


Not according to last year's rules;

Quote:
Disc Golf Course: Any course designated as a disc golf course having established pads and targets consisting of baskets or tonal poles. Object targets are not acceptable no matter how well marked.


RR and Queensway don't exactly have established teepads.
_________________
Hyzer enthusiast
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Thumber
LNF Champion


Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 8271

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: OMPL Discussion II Reply with quote

andros wrote:
Thumber wrote:
I also think you should be able to play any course the 2 players agree upon. For example, I may want to play Rico at his Queensway course. Its an object course. Would this be ok. What about Radapaw Ridge?


Not according to last year's rules;

Quote:
Disc Golf Course: Any course designated as a disc golf course having established pads and targets consisting of baskets or tonal poles. Object targets are not acceptable no matter how well marked.


RR and Queensway don't exactly have established teepads.


My point is though, as long as the 2 players play the same teepads it makes no difference. The result doesn't have to be replicated as for tournaments..As long as you and your opponent play the same pads and objects it is all equal and fair
_________________
meh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion


Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Posts: 8365
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: OMPL Discussion II Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
My point is though, as long as the 2 players play the same teepads it makes no difference. The result doesn't have to be replicated as for tournaments..As long as you and your opponent play the same pads and objects it is all equal and fair


True but let's say Stace and Gavin want to play a match at Queensway, they can't as the layout is not clear.
Only Disco and a handful of other know it.
_________________
Hyzer enthusiast
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Thumber
LNF Champion


Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 8271

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buta s long as they play the same teepads, what does it matter? Its a match and the results don't need to replicable.

You and I could play a very competitive match at the Arboretum, just making it up as we go.

This focus on established courses is strange as it has no effect on the outcome
_________________
meh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion


Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Posts: 8365
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Buta s long as they play the same teepads, what does it matter? Its a match and the results don't need to replicable.

laughing Buta
_________________
Hyzer enthusiast
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion


Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Posts: 8365
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
You and I could play a very competitive match at the Arboretum, just making it up as we go.

This focus on established courses is strange as it has no effect on the outcome


I totally understand what you're saying.

I think Rolly might need to rewrite the definition of an "established" dg course
to include a course like MB.

I still don't think object courses should be used for OMPL though
because you've got to draw the line somewhere.
_________________
Hyzer enthusiast
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Thumber
LNF Champion


Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 8271

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andros wrote:


I still don't think object courses should be used for OMPL though
because you've got to draw the line somewhere.


What is the rationale for this though?
_________________
meh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 10042
Location: First tee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
andros wrote:


I still don't think object courses should be used for OMPL though
because you've got to draw the line somewhere.


What is the rationale for this though?


It's the difference between disc golf and frolf. Object hitting is sometimes left to interpretation. There shouldn't be any grey areas when it comes to holing out.
_________________
Boyle says BOOM!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion


Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Posts: 8365
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
andros wrote:


I still don't think object courses should be used for OMPL though
because you've got to draw the line somewhere.


What is the rationale for this though?


You know when you hole out of a basket or hit a tonal.

But objects are tricky because everyone has different rules on
where to hit an object, it's wishy washy.
_________________
Hyzer enthusiast
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Thumber
LNF Champion


Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 8271

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andros wrote:
Thumber wrote:
andros wrote:


I still don't think object courses should be used for OMPL though
because you've got to draw the line somewhere.


What is the rationale for this though?


You know when you hole out of a basket or hit a tonal.

But objects are tricky because everyone has different rules on
where to hit an object, it's wishy washy.


Again though, if the 2 players are in agreement, what difference does it make?
_________________
meh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion


Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Posts: 8365
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Again though, if the 2 players are in agreement, what difference does it make?


Plain and simple; it's wrong.
_________________
Hyzer enthusiast
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 10042
Location: First tee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing for money needs some sort of uniformity.

Where on the tree? What part of the sign? Does in the garbage can count?

If players are to practice and prepare for their matches they should be able to practice the putt. If the target is going to change from hole to hole it's unfair. Yes, you could say it's unfair for both players but this shouldn't even be an option. Again, it's the difference between frolf and disc golf.
_________________
Boyle says BOOM!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disco rico
Falling Colours Champion


Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: ... L'Orignal Beach or Queensway Club House ...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think of the night rules at Queensway ...
_________________
Camp Fortune is in the ground !

Course is in TOP SHAPE !!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 4460
Location: Somewhere where my mind is not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disco rico wrote:
Just think of the night rules at Queensway ...

Like, lock your car?
_________________
Privacy is a means to democracy, not an end in itself. - unknown
Sabotage the system. Provoke more questions! - unknown
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Thumber
LNF Champion


Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 8271

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Playing for money needs some sort of uniformity.

Where on the tree? What part of the sign? Does in the garbage can count?

If players are to practice and prepare for their matches they should be able to practice the putt. If the target is going to change from hole to hole it's unfair. Yes, you could say it's unfair for both players but this shouldn't even be an option. Again, it's the difference between frolf and disc golf.


Its not unfair to both players, its equal. We have already established that there will be certain courses a player can demand be played. This allows for the use of baskets if one of the players so desires. But if neither care I don't get the argument.

I still haven't heard a rationale argument for this opinion.
_________________
meh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 10042
Location: First tee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:

Its not unfair to both players, its equal. We have already established that there will be certain courses a player can demand be played. This allows for the use of baskets if one of the players so desires. But if neither care I don't get the argument.

I still haven't heard a rationale argument for this opinion.


OMPL Rules wrote:
Guidelines for Competition:
Rules of Play:
The Rules of Disc Golf, as defined by the Professional Disc Golf Association, shall govern the rules of play except where these rules are specific to a format other than match play. OMPL rules and regulations shall supercede those of the PDGA.


PDGA Rules of Play wrote:
B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc observed by two or more players of the group or an official to have entered the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.

C. Object Targets: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must strike the marked target area on the object as specified by the director.


Unless Rolly, the director, marks your object course you cannot play within the PDGA Rules of Play.
_________________
Boyle says BOOM!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion


Joined: 09 Nov 2005
Posts: 6929
Location: Dog River

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________
If you can't win the event in regulation, try, try, try again.


Last edited by Roxie on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rolly
King of Commentary


Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9817
Location: South East Division

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxie wrote:


You read my mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Match Play League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
RSS Feed for Latest Posts