Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> ODGC Tournaments and Events -> The Plaid - The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many hole layout for the Plaid Jacket next year?
18 Holes (36 holes in total)
45%
 45%  [ 10 ]
12 Holes (36 holes in total)
54%
 54%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 22

Rob (Twirly)
TOSS Season Champion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: The Plaid - The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Reply with quote

Please let the Plaid know what you liked and did not like about the Plaid this year.

Our goal is to make the Plaid better again next year. big grin

Last edited by Rob (Twirly) on Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about this last night. Both options give you 36 holes, but you only have 1 break and 1 re-sort of the cards. I think this would give us time for the Super 3 or 6 or 9, whatever it may be.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the tourny would only get better if it was an 18 hole layout. Rounds would take longer but the shuffle would be halved.

Carts - Carts are awesome. I would recommend we design a better system for carts management next year. easiest way is to just include the price of a cart in the tourny fees. I recognize some people think carts inappropriate (I play for the exercise crowd) but i loved it. I could carry even more crap, I got to drive around, I got to drive in reverse when too close to the greens, etc. I was a big fan and thought they were absolutely great.

Timing - I wonder if the timing of the Plaid could be when the Falling Colours occurred this year. It would be warmer, days longer and then CF would be cut for Falling Colours.

The food was fantastic. Great lunch and chili

Beer Cart Girl - AWESOME!!

Layout - I thought the course a little short, until I played the longs, then I didn't think it was short anymore. The layout was interesting and each hole unique. More use of the ponds is encouraged. i would like more holes where you have to fly the pond or go way around.

Weather couldn't have been nicer.

Super 6 - I am still undecided if this tradition should continue. Those playing in it love it. Some watching love it, others just want to get the ring of fire done and go home. Something to discuss for sure.

Day - Would prefer this on a Saturday for sure. Felling pretty tired today

All in all, a totally awesome day and tournament.

Great job Twirly!!
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 rounds is awesome. It's all about the extra shuffle. I'm for the 36 holes because you spend more time with you competitors, and less on cross-division cards. You're also likely to golf with a greater number of people. The experience I share with those on my cards during the regular rounds is what's important to me.

Yesterday I played golf with 10 different people. That made my day. It would be impossible to do in two rounds.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Good

3 rounds = 12 card mates and 3 cart mates
Carts - for all of the Top Ten reasons and score keeping
White Ball Course - wouldn't believe it until I tried it. Will they let us back?
The layout - it felt like it was what we always wanted JCP to be (JCP grown up?)
Water holes - so scary
Wind - so scary
Water and wind - Firebird
Indoor washrooms
Snack bar
Bar
Players from Montreal, Toronto, North Bay...
Don Lane - there isn't a better "score keeper/manager/reporter"
Cara-Lee
Players cleaning up the course after their final round
Saturday evening install - I wish LNF could do this
Cash sponsors - Thanks Andy! Thanks Vanilla Soft!
Chili
Cart paths IB
Creeks casual
Ring of Fire
Leader board mounted to a cart
Alex - our beer cart girl

The Bad

Uncertainty of the Super 6/3
Short day (sunshine wise)
Frost (limited warm up but what can you do)
Some players having to pay $70 for their cart

Ugly

121 strokes were added because of circles
Blue 6 - 8 circles
Yellow 6 - 16 circles
Blue 7 - 17 circles; 5 doubles; 1 trip
Yellow 7 - 15 circles; 2 doubles; 1 trip
Blue/Yellow 9 - 34 circles; 2 doubles; 1 trip
Blue 12 - 1 circle
Yellow 3 - 1 circle
Yellow 5 - 1 circle
axelfudge
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Good

Great tournament! The Plaid is still tops in Ottawa
3 rounds of 12 really helped in getting to know the course. Playing number 5, 6, 7 three times was a major bonus (best holes on the course!)
All the amenities that were available
Getting to launch a disc for the owner of the course was cool.
Volunteers
The best people around to spend a day with

The Bad

The carts. I didn`t think they were neccessary (certainly recognize I will be in the minority on this one. I believe they slowed down play A LOT! I had more then one time I got to the next hole before the carts arrived. Number 5 is a good example where the cart path was far from the basket. I had more then one occasion where someone decided to change discs only to have to run back to their cart and then, well you get the point.
If the carts can get fixed into the 50$ price so each card gets two carts great but 4 carts on a card was ridiculous.
Would prefer to see the Plaid played at the traditional time of year(more light) (Give Falling Colours back its date aswell)
5 per card was not good.

The ugly

Not much ugly at all although I`m wondering if the Super 3 6 9 format is neccessary. Ties need to be broken but what was the point... Geoff slaughterered the competition.
The ring of fire needs to be reigned in. It`s too chaotic when it should be a lot of fun.
I had 10 minutes to eat lunch... not good. No vegetarian sandwiches as far as I could see.
I`m an adaptable person changing things on the fly gets confusing at times.
Some not respecting the property. Lots of carts just driving wherever they felt. (not singling you out for the cart shutting down Atos =) No designated routes.

Great times Rob, well done!

Last edited by axelfudge on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mike McCormick
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: falling colours vs plaid jactet dates Reply with quote

The reason Falling Colours and The Plaid Jacket swtched dates was due to the ball golf course rental. If the Plaid Jacket was held Sept 18th, the course rental I believe was around $2,200. By switching dates to Oct 3rd, the course rental I believe was around $750. Rob or someone better in the know may want to confirm these numbers.
Rob (Twirly)
TOSS Season Champion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference was $1000 plus HST. Which makes it almost $20 per person more for 20 mins more light.
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Good
The rounds. Three rounds of twelve was good for playing with the maximum number of people, letting you know where you were in the standings, and minimized mid-round breaks.
Real, indoor bathrooms.
Talking to ball golfers about this crazy frisbee thing.
Carla kicking so much ass.
Players from all over.
Organizers, sponsors, and helpers.
The course layout. I didn't get to walk the course before the rounds started, so I really (really) appreciated being able to see the baskets from the beginning of each (except for one) hole.

The Bad
Alright, I'll be the one to say it: I did not like the carts. I think they slowed down play (walkers usually got to the tees/next shot first) and they were noisy (I'm looking at you, during-shot creepers). Worst of all, I think the use of them made us, as a whole, look like a bunch of yahoos. I saw carts going all over the place, including the fairways, sppeding through the woods, ridiculous skidding stops... I mean, if part of the point of going to a ball course is to promote the sport, these kinds of antics do not cast us in a positive light.

Admittedly, the carts were great for taking in the baskets (thanks top card!) and hauling around the rest of the stuff. Maybe the shenanigans could be minimized with a more defined route or different way of allocating the carts.

The Award ceremony itself was good, but it would have been nice to have more people there. (Especially the winners).

The Ugly
I have to hate on the food. Not because it was bad, but because I had no idea what was in most of it. That's not a big deal to most of you, I know, but I came really close to needing a trip to the hospital. (Thanks for trying that sammie, Atos).

To end on a positive note, I do want to say I had a great time. I am definitely looking forward to the Plaid for next year!
Mike McCormick
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
The Bad

Is this something other players who gave a credit card need to worry about? Why the extra $$.

Last edited by Mike McCormick on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike McCormick wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
The Bad

Is this something other players who gave a credit card need to worry about? Why the extra $$.

I'm not quite sure, but the Human was charged $70+ as were some others.
lissyssil
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suckage. But interesting. I paid cash, $37.50. Wonder what happened there.
st-ACE
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it was 37.50$ a person, if you told the people at the front desk that there was going to be 2 peopel in the cart, they charged twice.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reciept was for 37.50....that was a bit of a cluster Fark
beny_boy
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the cart save my day because I played the day before and couldn't have walked all day!!!!
Plus so much more fun!!!!
loved the layout!!! good from the blue amazing from the yellow.

the only bad point was the sunday!!

for us comming back in montreal sunday evening after a weekend of disc golf was intense and even today i'm still recovering from my weekend.

oh and gotta say I loved that beer girl !!! she's like john pytel going around with beer but more cute lol
Mike McCormick
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Good

- the course, well done and thanks to all who made this a possibility.

- 3 x 12 format = variety of cards. If the reshuffle between round 1 and 2 is a time issue, maybe we can look at cards totalling their scores at the last hole they are on then calling/texting the totals to Cara-Lee. Take the reported scores at face value and confirm later.

- The carts, a once a year treat. As for the issue of people having to walk back to their carts for another disc, eventually it will click with them to take a) their bag with them or b) 2 or 3 discs to cover the expected shot.

- The ceasar/beer cart.

- The 40 oz of Gin in the Ring of Fire (second time I have won it). If you cannot win your division, practice your 25-30' putts.

- The food bank donation idea. Always good to give to those less fortunate.

The Bad

- Not really a complaint but the salads ran out and then after the last card came in (late), they put 3 new full bowls of salad out (including a 3 bean salad which was not even there when I went thru).

- Carts all over the course. Maybe on the map we can put the 'requested' route they want the golf carts to follow. If the map gets too messy, maybe drop the super 6 lines.

The Ugly

My vote is for OMR.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCormick wrote:

If you cannot win your division, practice your 25-30' putts.

laughing laughing laughing
st-ACE
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike McCormick wrote:

The Ugly

My vote is for OMR.

lol

ah bromance
briggs
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="beny_boy"]For me the cart save my day because I played the day before and couldn't have walked all day!!!!
Plus so much more fun!!!!
loved the layout!!! good from the blue amazing from the yellow.

the only bad point was the sunday!!

for us comming back in montreal sunday evening after a weekend of disc golf was intense and even today i'm still recovering from my weekend.

oh and gotta say I loved that beer girl !!! she's like john pytel going around with beer but more cute lol[/quote]

1. John Pytel is cuter.

2. Sunday was a great choice. I'm sure many people had other things in their lives on a saturday(families, etc.) that may have stopped them from playing that day.

Last edited by briggs on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
vinylfactory
Driver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Good -

Carts. How many chances do you get to ride on a cart, Ricky? No matter how fast one can walk, the cart moves quicker. It's the operators who were too stunned to drive the shortest possible distance. I dropped something on the tee of hole three, but I didn't realize this until I was on hole five. I zipped over and was back before it was my shot.

Beer Cart Girl. Golf Courses are the last places on earth where not only is it okay to drink and drive, but positively encouraged!

Golf Course. So nice to see grass cut that short. Too bad there weren't enough opportunities for rollers.

The Map. How does this kid keep cranking out the magic?

Penton. Wow, what a beast. Awesome win. Great inspiration.

Twirly. Incredible work on the tournament. Again. I wish you worked that hard on the OD Tour!

Kara-Lee. She gave up her Sunday to do nothing but help. At least Twirly got to play. Kara-Lee worked on assignments while we played, and worked while we ate and drank. Thank you Kara for being such a wonderful person!

The Help. With the baskets, the sponsors, the organization...what a community!

The Bad -

The Plaid. This is my bad as I did not realize this is not a championship event, but rather a holistic celebration of the entire disc golf community in Ottawa. The title of the event is superficially misleading, as one thinks immediately of Augusta. However, the proletarian nature of a Plaid design modulates this preconception with sardonic humour. This is an event celebrating the great middle class of golfers, and as such is necessary in burgeoning disc golf communities. Again, this point reflects on my own mental intransigence, rather than on the event itself.

The Course. I trust that with a proper reconnaissance this land can be better employed. Some of the holes were awesome and perfect--ah, number 7!; some were good, with some tweaking needed; some of the holes were mediocre; and some were just plain unnecessary--I'm looking at you hole #11! The first thought engendered upon learning that this was to be held on a golf course was "Awesome, at last a real challenge!" The first thought after the first round was whether my redeemed points would have been better cashed in for a free ticket to Toronto. The course was not awful, but it was not unremittingly incredible either. More usage of the sweet short grass would have been nice. It IS a golf course after all! A solid C+/B- on the design. Next year with some changes this could be an elite-level course.

The First round. On this layout, with 8 of the twelve holes from the shorts playing under 300' (and most a VERY easy >300'), there was NO REASON for the top division to play the Blues. Like going to a nudie show and watching the shoes only...yah sure you see ankles, but you're missing all the fun!

The Ugly -

The Hype. The pre-event chatter about this course led me to believe this was an adequate replacement to the Winthrop Gold course--ah Rock Hill!. However, this was, as Big Brutha already pointed out, a grown-up version of JCP, and not a championship course...like the boy inside the man...kinda cute, but too much baby fat to say he's at all sexy.

Take this post in stride, with a lick of salt, and a dash of bitters. Great work and such an improvement over previous Plaids. WAY WAY WAY better than contesting for it at JCP, but still so much more work to go before you can sit back and breathe deeply with pride. Not bad work for a rushrush last minute thing, but now you have a year to make changes, tweak out parts, and completely revise other areas. If you stay at a 12-hole layout, I would suggest:

1--completely eliminating: holes 8, 10, and 11.
2--completely overhauling: hole 4.
3--tweaking: holes 5 and 12.

No need to change #3 and #7, but slight adjustments to #5 and #6 will make these play better as well, although they are pretty close to perfect as they are.

I say all this because Turly invited it: "Please let the Plaid know what you liked and did not like about the Plaid this year.

Our goal is to make the Plaid better again next year. big grin"

Make it better, for ALL involved. And remember, spare the rod, spoil the child. Go Old Testament on our asses next year and make it mean something! being evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> ODGC Tournaments and Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: