Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League -> Ice League - 2010/2011 - POLL & DISCUSSION Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should we do with the SYN card?
Banish it
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Make a new card that will replace the SYN card
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Keep the SYN card
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 17

Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andros wrote:
Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Instead of Monopoly, use Risk (or Axis and Allies) as the analogy. You take out an opponents army because that helps you win. Still not personal, just the game.

i get the idea but it still is punishing good shots. What we are proposing now is a way to capitalize on your opponents success.

I'm not arguing anything here. I know what the SYN can do. I'm just stating facts: it's a part of a game; players started taking it personally when a SYN card was used on them.

Don't you argue with me!!! mad This "I'm not arguing" argument will not stand.

Switch to decaf dude. smile

ya....ok
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people get so upset about getting SYN'd? Probably because they didn't buy a SYN card for them to dish out on someone. I look at it this way. Oh you SYN'd me you mofo, well watch this I will do it again and you can eat that fricking card. If not then well played..... mofo.
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Ice League is a game that isn't entirely disc golf, like Survivor is a game show that isn't entirely survival camping. It's still fun and charged, and worth playing as a result.

I always prefer a chance to turn the tables when faced with a challenge, and that is why I voted to do away with the SYN: there is no retribution if you make that second shot.

The big issue I have is where people say it's "just a game". It's just a game when there is nothing for the winner but the ability to say "I won", and that means doing away with payouts. SYN could take someone out of pay dirt, which is more than just taking them out of the game; it's taking money out their wallets. The only person with their hand in my wallet should be me.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decaf sucks.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burjwahzeh wrote:
Yeah, Ice League is a game that isn't entirely disc golf, like Survivor is a game show that isn't entirely survival camping. It's still fun and charged, and worth playing as a result.

I always prefer a chance to turn the tables when faced with a challenge, and that is why I voted to do away with the SYN: there is no retribution if you make that second shot.

The big issue I have is where people say it's "just a game". It's just a game when there is nothing for the winner but the ability to say "I won", and that means doing away with payouts. SYN could take someone out of pay dirt, which is more than just taking them out of the game; it's taking money out their wallets. The only person with their hand in my wallet should be me.

I agree with this. That's the beauty of the Birdie Train card...doesn't affect the team in question....it is just an added advantage to your team based on the other team's success. Low scores are fun
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burjwahzeh wrote:

sarcastic eye roll

No one is "taking money out (of) their wallets". No one robbed you. You didn't win; you don't cash. The rules are out there in the open. The SYN card made your round of golf "truer". "Let's see you do that again."

Fine, you don't like the SYN card because for whatever reason you made a nice shot and you couldn't do it again. That sucks. I get that. But don't start this whining about it ruins the game or it's taking $$ from the true winners (who probably used a Mullie during the round). You don't like the SYN card, fine.

The "Birdie Train" does all this too. I had a better shot, now you're piggy backing on it. I'm getting "punished" because I played the hole better. What happens when you have two "Birdie Trains"? He takes my lie, misses his putt. I hit mine. He uses the "Birdie Train" to take a 2 for something he did absolutely nothing for. This is worse. This is taking money from my wallet. He's stealing my game!

Now I'm arguing/conversing/debating. Decaf still sucks and I'm getting another caf.

Good discussion Andros. thumbsup
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decaf does not suck, you addicts.
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be a quitter: stick with caf.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxie wrote:
Decaf does not suck, you addicts.

Addict.
OMR
ODGC Marketing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the SYN card for the simple reason that it instantly eliminates the endorphin rush of hitting that long putt...
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMR wrote:
I don't like the SYN card for the simple reason that it instantly eliminates the endorphin rush of hitting that long putt...

That's a good one. thumbsup
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but the rush of hitting your next putt is ten times as good. Or not.
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
No one is "taking money out (of) their wallets". No one robbed you. You didn't win; you don't cash. The rules are out there in the open. The SYN card made your round of golf "truer". "Let's see you do that again."

Fine, you don't like the SYN card because for whatever reason you made a nice shot and you couldn't do it again. That sucks. I get that. But don't start this whining about it ruins the game or it's taking $$ from the true winners (who probably used a Mullie during the round). You don't like the SYN card, fine. ...

I think you're misinterpreting something here, Jefrey. Nowhere did I mention that I feel it ruins the game. It IS the game (see first paragraph of my original post). However, it appears that you’ve interpreted something there that amounts to whining and the invocation ruin, neither of which I can find, but alas, I’m biassed, having written it only in the context of my own thoughts on the subject. I confuse myself on a regular basis, so I suppose I’m doomed to being my own enigma.

Alas, I digress, this thread is not about the circus in my head and nobody wants to bare witness to that. Allow me to attempt to restate my position.

Andros, you were under the impression that the SYN card might be controversial. There were allegations earlier in this thread that some figured it amounted to a personal attack. I’ve always felt Ice League was supposed to be about raising money for charity, and having fun while doing it. It is a game with a disc golf theme; mulligans and do-overs make it that way. There are thousands of other ways this could be done as well.

Perhaps, though, if you want it to be “just a game”, and have everyone treat it as “just a game”, you should look elsewhere first. Maybe, if you take cash payouts to weekly winners out of the game, you’ll find people will take it much less personally to be SYN’d. With money comes emotion, and everyone has a different threshold of where the money is worth the emotion. If you get rid of the money you may just find that you’ll get rid of the source of much of the controversy, and you won’t be left trying to find more complicated ways to fix peoples’ attitudes towards playing what should amount to playing “just a game”.

In the context of the poll question, I voted to revoke the SYN card. I feel that the question is flawed, though. I think you’ll find the cause of the consternation you’ve observed to lie elsewhere.

Just my $0.02, which is money, yes, but I’d hope it’s not enough to whine about. wink
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burjwahzeh wrote:
I think you're misinterpreting something here, Jefrey. Nowhere did I mention that I feel it ruins the game. It IS the game (see first paragraph of my original post). However, it appears that you’ve interpreted something there that amounts to whining and the invocation ruin, neither of which I can find, but alas, I’m biassed, having written it only in the context of my own thoughts on the subject. I confuse myself on a regular basis, so I suppose I’m doomed to being my own enigma.

I wrote:

Fine, you don't like the SYN card because for whatever reason you made a nice shot and you couldn't do it again. That sucks. I get that. But don't start this whining about it ruins the game or it's taking $$ from the true winners (who probably used a Mullie during the round). You don't like the SYN card, fine. ...

Sorry Burj, the "you" is not you, it's the yous out there that are whining about the SYN card ruining the game of disc golf (which was read while I was purusing the 20 or so pages of last year's Ice League. Nothing funner I guarantee sarcastic eye roll).

Quote:
Andros, you were under the impression that the SYN card might be controversial. There were allegations earlier in this thread that some figured it amounted to a personal attack. I’ve always felt Ice League was supposed to be about raising money for charity, and having fun while doing it. It is a game with a disc golf theme; mulligans and do-overs make it that way. There are thousands of other ways this could be done as well.

Perhaps, though, if you want it to be “just a game”, and have everyone treat it as “just a game”, you should look elsewhere first. Maybe, if you take cash payouts to weekly winners out of the game, you’ll find people will take it much less personally to be SYN’d. With money comes emotion, and everyone has a different threshold of where the money is worth the emotion. If you get rid of the money you may just find that you’ll get rid of the source of much of the controversy, and you won’t be left trying to find more complicated ways to fix peoples’ attitudes towards playing what should amount to playing “just a game”.

An idea: Paying out in IB might solve this. Lower the $$ to enter and don't payout in cash.

Last edited by Jefrey A. Brother on Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMR wrote:

I really like this one. I keep coming back to it in my head. It kinda takes the "YEAAAHHH" out of a round that you could build on to produce more "YEAAAHHH"s. It would take a pretty solid mental game to keep the love going after not hitting the apres-SYN throw.

More often than not, the SYN was used on a 30 footer though. I don't get a lot of "YEAAAHH" from hitting those.
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
An idea: Paying out in IB might solve this. Lower the $$ to enter and don't payout in cash.
That is exactly what I was leading to. If anyone gets their parts in a knot over a couple of ice bucks, they need counselling (right after they see a doctor to get that knot out).
Payout ice bucks using a meaningful schedule (like the Presidents Cup points, or TOSS payout table or something), and that SYN card shouldn't be as charged with negativity.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want players to know, I don't really have any attachment to the SYN card. I could live with or without it. They were a lot of fun for everyone else but the player who had to throw again.

We just might find that replacing it with another "advantage" or "disadvantage" card won't solve any of these problems that stem from being hit by one.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A different look at things here.

The SYN card and the Mullies were all instituted to raise $$ for the Food Bank. The problem arises with what do you replace them (it) with?

All this $$ keeps coming from the DG community, and that's good and all, but maybe there needs to be a new direction for which we raise $$$ that doesn't come from us, but instead from non-DGers. Then the SYN card can become part of the ODGC history, maybe to only come out for one IL a season.

Or you can take it to the next level and instead of having SYN cards, you can steal from the Ripz game and take the good ones from there and have a plethora of choices to enhance your game, or take down your opponent. One type of card available. First come first served? CTPs for first dibs?
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
A different look at things here.

... a return to using some of those Thursday formats that we enjoyed for so many years ...
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end, you take out the SYN card no one cares. You keep it in...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: