Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League -> Ice League - 2010/2011 - POLL & DISCUSSION Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should we do with the SYN card?
Banish it
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Make a new card that will replace the SYN card
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Keep the SYN card
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 17

Author Message
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion


Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Posts: 8371
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Ice League - 2010/2011 - POLL & DISCUSSION Reply with quote

As some of you may know Don Lane has honorably passed the torch to
myself to run Ottawa's Ice League and Ice Bowl Tournament.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Don for all the hard work he has done in running
Ottawa's off season events. Since I started this wonderful sport in 2006 I have been playing
every winter and credit my fast improvement to attending Ice league events.

By going to a lot of Ice League's I have gained the first hand experience in what works,
what doesn't work and what need improvements.

For the most part I will be continuing forward with Don's methods of how IL is run and will make
tweaks here and there as I see fit. For those of you who have played IL year after year or just one event
please give your input on what you would like to happen, parks you would like to play in, etc...

So to start things off I am going to run a Poll on whether or not to keep the SYN card.
This was a heated subject at last years IL events and I am here to get your ideas and vote on them.

For all the new folks that are asking what is Ice League/Ice Bowl/Syn cards etc.. please refer to the
2009/2010 Ice league thread that will explain a great deal on the subject.

Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Thumber
LNF Champion


Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 8273

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work taking it over Andros. Nice work Don on all you have put into it over the years.

The syn card should be replaced by something more fun and less punishing of a good shot.

1 - Force opponents to use their worst shot (not my favorite)

2 - Allow your team to play from any shot they want to, including the oppositions. This is my preference. It allows you to tag along for the birdie twice per round (assuming each team member has one). Or it could be restricted to one use per team per round.

3 - Come on into the shule - force the other team to play from wherever you are playing from (like the reverse of above)

looking forward to some icy excitment
_________________
meh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 10042
Location: First tee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I think I was at least 50% responsible for the SYN card.)

SYN cards came in just a bit after the Mulligans to add somethinge else to the mix during our doubles outings. Mulligans and SYN cards are big $$$ raisers for the Ottawa Food Bank. You got something of value, without costing the League anything.

In the early seasons we would play crazy layouts on JCP that were anything but serious. We'd be teeing off from behind a pine tree, trying to make it over the parking lot and into the grove. Mullies were great to help even out some of the bad luck, SYN would even out the better-than-good luck. It was doubles. It was in 3 feet of snow. It was with ribbons.

Recently though, it seems that players are taking the act of being SYN'd as a personal attack. The game aspect of it has been taken away. An analogy could be the game of Monopoly. Just because a person is making you pay the rent on Boardwalk, doesn't mean they hate you, it just means they are playing to win. They aren't cheating. They're playing the game.

It'll be interesting to see the final votes on this and it would also be interesting to see the reduction in participation because SYN cards are still in play. But I don't think a reduction of participation will happen if they are eliminated.

I gotta say, there was nothing better than making that 30 footer AGAIN. $5 well spent.
_________________
Boyle says BOOM!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Fister
Driver


Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 485
Location: Heritage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Andros. Lookin forward to it.

I have lots of ideas but really it has been run so well in the past that there should not be too much needed to change. If you would like to add another course I have a new one designed out on the east end here. Also, I have 2 portables and many hanging tonals that I can bring out anytime I come out. But I will be swamped with baby stuff for the next few weeks/months. I play this new course every weekend while the girls sleep. 1 - 3pm Sat & Sun, feel free to join anytime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
deuce
Big-Arm


Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 902

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golfers are used to battling the course, and not worrying about the other golfers (well, mostly). However, with SYN cards, now other golfers have the ability to affect your round. This is so fundamentally different from "normal" golf, that I can see why people get really annoyed (or even personally offended) when a SYN card is used against them.

I like #2 and #3 that Shane proposed. #2 could be the "The Piggyback", and #3 could be "Share the Shnarb".
_________________
"You don't grind - you don't shine!"
-Reggie Evans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thumber
LNF Champion


Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 8273

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:


An analogy could be the game of Monopoly. Just because a person is making you pay the rent on Boardwalk, doesn't mean they hate you, it just means they are playing to win. They aren't cheating. They're playing the game.



Monopoly is a stupid game as well.

Just sayin.

Briggsy named #2 option the BTC - Birdie Train Card!

I love it. Tag along on the Birdie Train.
_________________
meh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rolly
King of Commentary


Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9820
Location: South East Division

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking of a card where during the next shot only 1 player on the other team may shoot. They choose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion


Joined: 09 Nov 2005
Posts: 6929
Location: Dog River

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:


An analogy could be the game of Monopoly. Just because a person is making you pay the rent on Boardwalk, doesn't mean they hate you, it just means they are playing to win. They aren't cheating. They're playing the game.



Monopoly is a stupid game as well.



Just because you never win the Beauty contest, doesn't mean it's a stupid game Shane.
_________________
If you can't win the event in regulation, try, try, try again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Thumber
LNF Champion


Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 8273

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxie wrote:
Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:


An analogy could be the game of Monopoly. Just because a person is making you pay the rent on Boardwalk, doesn't mean they hate you, it just means they are playing to win. They aren't cheating. They're playing the game.



Monopoly is a stupid game as well.



Just because you never win the Beauty contest, doesn't mean it's a stupid game Shane.


has nothing to do with that. Monopoly just makes people hate one another. There is almost no strategy or tactics. Whoever is the biggest douche wins....guess you win alot huh?
_________________
meh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steve Rydell
Big-Arm


Joined: 12 Nov 2003
Posts: 770
Location: Here

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never win the beauty contest in Monopoly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion


Joined: 09 Nov 2005
Posts: 6929
Location: Dog River

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Rydell wrote:
You can never win the beauty contest in Monopoly.


That's why he hates it.
_________________
If you can't win the event in regulation, try, try, try again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Holly D
Overflow Overlord


Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 4302
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the idea of a Won't You Be My Neighbour card. (Either bringing a team into the schnarb with you, or tagging along for the birdie). It's quirky, and it seems less hateful.
_________________
1020 rated lunch preparationist
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mike McCormick
Guru of Gab


Joined: 25 Nov 2000
Posts: 1641

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with the Come on into the shule card is it has the same effect as a SYN card. If someone on the other team parks an unbelievable drive, you could play the shule card and bring them back to where you are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thumber
LNF Champion


Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 8273

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike McCormick wrote:
The only problem with the Come on into the shule card is it has the same effect as a SYN card. If someone on the other team parks an unbelievable drive, you could play the shule card and bring them back to where you are.


That's why I like the Birdie Train card....doesn't punish the other team's score but can help improve your score....could be used very tactically, unlike say, any situation in Monopoly.
_________________
meh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 10042
Location: First tee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of Monopoly, use Risk (or Axis and Allies) as the analogy. You take out an opponents army because that helps you win. Still not personal, just the game.
_________________
Boyle says BOOM!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mike McCormick
Guru of Gab


Joined: 25 Nov 2000
Posts: 1641

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A problem with the Birdie Train card is you are getting something for free, you did not do anything to deserve it (well not exactly free, you paid $$ for it). With the SYN card, you rethrow and play the disc where it lands. With a Mulligan, you rethrow and play the disc where it lands. Both cases are your throws. At the end of the round, if you say you made -6, you know you had to work for the -6. With a Birdie Train card, a few stokes saved could be the result of the other team's effort.

For the record, when I have played, I have no issues with the SYN cards, it is all for fun and charity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thumber
LNF Champion


Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 8273

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Instead of Monopoly, use Risk (or Axis and Allies) as the analogy. You take out an opponents army because that helps you win. Still not personal, just the game.


i get the idea but it still is punishing good shots. What we are proposing now is a way to capitalize on your opponents success.
_________________
meh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 10042
Location: First tee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Instead of Monopoly, use Risk (or Axis and Allies) as the analogy. You take out an opponents army because that helps you win. Still not personal, just the game.


i get the idea but it still is punishing good shots. What we are proposing now is a way to capitalize on your opponents success.


I'm not arguing anything here. I know what the SYN can do. I'm just stating facts: it's a part of a game; players started taking it personally when a SYN card was used on them.
_________________
Boyle says BOOM!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thumber
LNF Champion


Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 8273

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Instead of Monopoly, use Risk (or Axis and Allies) as the analogy. You take out an opponents army because that helps you win. Still not personal, just the game.


i get the idea but it still is punishing good shots. What we are proposing now is a way to capitalize on your opponents success.


I'm not arguing anything here. I know what the SYN can do. I'm just stating facts: it's a part of a game; players started taking it personally when a SYN card was used on them.


Don't you argue with me!!! mad This "I'm not arguing" argument will not stand.
_________________
meh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion


Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Posts: 8371
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Instead of Monopoly, use Risk (or Axis and Allies) as the analogy. You take out an opponents army because that helps you win. Still not personal, just the game.


i get the idea but it still is punishing good shots. What we are proposing now is a way to capitalize on your opponents success.


I'm not arguing anything here. I know what the SYN can do. I'm just stating facts: it's a part of a game; players started taking it personally when a SYN card was used on them.


Don't you argue with me!!! mad This "I'm not arguing" argument will not stand.


Switch to decaf dude. smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
RSS Feed for Latest Posts