Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League -> Ice Bowl Rules - A Conversation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Ice Bowl Rules - A Conversation Reply with quote

Can we get a clarification on the use of Mulligans? When does the Mullie need to be declared? At the T-pad do they go right away or wait until the end of the regular rotation (and I know there will be some who don't care, and that's fine, but it would be best to have the rules out there, so that the players who don't care will look kind that they don't, not the players who want to follow the rules look like jack-a$$es)?

What about lost (read: buried in the snow) discs? Do non-ribboned discs get the same treatment/time limit as ribboned?
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ice Bowl Rules - A Conversation Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

What about lost (read: buried in the snow) discs? Do non-ribboned discs get the same treatment/time limit as ribboned?

In my opinion all discs get the same 3 minute search treatment. If you are wise enough to ribbon your disc it greatly increases the chances of finding that disc within 3 minutes. If you don't you take the risk of having to declare a lost disc. If the disc is non-ribboned I would say the 3 minute rule will be strictly enforced
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you mullie a lost disc?
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Can you mullie a lost disc?

I think you have to use the mully before you leave the marker, be that tee box or marker on the fairway. No walking up, looking then walking back to shoot. Decide before you leave.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:

I think you have to use the mully before you leave the marker, be that tee box or marker on the fairway. No walking up, looking then walking back to shoot. Decide before you leave.

Do you have until the end of the rotation at the Tee to declare? Do you go at the end?

If you pick up your mark, it's done. No Mullie for You.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Thumber wrote:

Do you have until the end of the rotation at the Tee to declare? Do you go at the end?

If you pick up your mark, it's done. No Mullie for You.

I have no problem with declaring it anytime before the end of the rotation. Soon as the group moves off the box, you're chance is gone. I like that you can sit and watch what else happens before making that decision. That's how we played all Ice League

You pick up your mark, you are done IMO.
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ice Bowl Rules - A Conversation Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Can we get a clarification on the use of Mulligans? When does the Mullie need to be declared? At the T-pad do they go right away or wait until the end of the regular rotation (and I know there will be some who don't care, and that's fine, but it would be best to have the rules out there, so that the players who don't care will look kind that they don't, not the players who want to follow the rules look like jack-a$$es)?

Past experience dictates that I'll be carrying a count down timer that will be used whenever looking for a disc without a ribbon (my own included should it come to that).

Mulligans are do-overs. On the pad, for speed of play, I like the back-of-the-bus approach: people on your card will be ready to throw before you get back to you bag, select a new disc, and throw. You've already been a wind sock, you don't need to do it twice, and I don't like waiting for your second shot. Not my decision, though. I'm not the TD.

Everywhere else, they should be thrown before the next player advances towards their disc. This is the simple stuff.

Finally, the big bone of contention: Mulligans on lost discs and OBs.
Here's where the "do over" slows things down, and here's how I'd like to read the PDGA rules in conjunction with a mulligan:
You have 30 seconds to take your shot from the time that you mark your lie.
If you mark your lie (by throwing a first shot), then use a mulligan, you never actually made the throw, BUT you did mark the lie. That makes everything up to the time spent taking the second throw (the mulligan shot) just a pre-shot routine. If your pre-shot routine involves walking 250ft ahead into the woods, looking around for three minutes, and then walking back, I'm going to call you on a time violation every time you do it. The first one is a warning. After that, you would get a stroke. Nice mulligan.

In essence, you would be able to use one mulligan a round for a lost disc, or to go and check out a shot that you thought may have gone out of bounds, but you weren't sure about it (hey, you go OB and say "I'll take the mulligan" right away, you aren't committing that grievous time violation). I don't like the idea of being able to buy yourself a super slow, consequence-free round of golf.

Just my $0.02.
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With playing a few extra holes this year vs. last year where we shot 22 holes, time will become a factor.

The conditions at the course right now are such that I don't expect a lot of discs to get lost in the snow, but when they get shanked in to the woods, that's another situation all together.

We encourage all players to ribbon their discs. It saves time locating them, and it saves you from having to purchase new discs.

The typical rule for searching for discs is 3 minutes per disc from the time you arrive on location and start looking for the disc. I'd ask that all players try to help their card-mates even without their asking.

Let's make this rule for this year and see how things roll out:

If you've ribboned your disc, you get 3 full minutes, clocked, from when you start looking and someone on your card starts the timer. If you have not ribboned the disc, you get 1 minute (clocked) to find it. It is NOT discourteous to start the timer. It's the rules, and they are there for everyone for fairness and smooth playing of the round.

Mulligans in singles play should not adversely affect the flow of the game. If you don't like your shot, declare it within about 10 seconds, and before the next player throws. Mulligans in doubles play should allow you to see your teammmate's throw before you decide if one of you should use a mully. However, the Ice Bowl is a singles event.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't understand why you don't get 3 minutes regardless of if the disc is ribboned or not. If I lose the disc because it has no ribbon I take a stroke penalty...why do we need more penalty by reducing the time?
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's risk/reward. If you play without ribbons, you'll likely throw longer, but you also risk slowing down the entire tournament looking for such lost discs on several holes.

Use of ribbons balances the field for search time, regardless of the division, and should increase the overall speed of play.

The 10-second rule also prevents people from declaring a mully after walking 300' and seeing that they have a crappy lie.

People can always take provisionals if they think their disc won't be able to be found.
clausr
MOD Champion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
I just don't understand why you don't get 3 minutes regardless of if the disc is ribboned or not. If I lose the disc because it has no ribbon I take a stroke penalty...why do we need more penalty by reducing the time?

Because if you play without a ribbon in conditions like last year (1.5ft snow), your card is going to be looking for your drive on every hole. If I was on that card I would tire of this pretty quickly. Therefor we penalize people without ribbons.

I don't think it will be an issue this year, there is no snow.
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another solution:

Will Ferrell
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splash wrote:
People can always take provisionals if they think their disc won't be able to be found.

What about a provisional mullie?
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this.
Thumber wrote:

And I completely agree with this one too.
clausr wrote:

Because if you play without a ribbon in conditions like last year (1.5ft snow), your card is going to be looking for your drive on every hole. If I was on that card I would tire of this pretty quickly. Therefor we penalize people without ribbons.

This was my card last year. We looked for one player's disc EVERY hole. Not the same conditions this year, but man that was frustrating.

But ribboned or not, a disc in the woods is lost and should get the 3 minutes.

What happens when a ribbon comes off? 2 minutes for a bad tape job. laughing
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
...What happens when a ribbon comes off? 2 minutes for a bad tape job. laughing
Just drop your gloves. That's good for 5 minutes.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burjwahzeh wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

I like where this is headed. As long as I stay off of Thumber's card I might do OK - it took 3 people at the fire to take him down!
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
burjwahzeh wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

I like where this is headed. As long as I stay off of Thumber's card I might do OK - it took 3 people at the fire to take him down!

LOL....and I was a long way from sober at that point
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: