Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> Ever T'd off of a gravel T-pad? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I hears back from the guy and one of his executives is leaving and starting this companywww.treadall.com. From the looks of the website it is just getting up and running, but they deal with rubber mats of all kinds.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/used-tires-turned-into-rubber-mats-in-moose-creek-1.2435819

Quote:

Used tires turned into rubber mats in Moose Creek

New company in village near Casselman hopes to recycle 3.5 million tires each year

CBC News Posted: Nov 22, 2013 5:30 AM ET| Last Updated: Nov 22, 2013 8:36 AM ET

A tire recycling facility opens today in a small village east of Ottawa, turning tires into rubber floor mats that are popular with farmers.

André Laflèche, president of Moose Creek Tire Recycling, says his business wouldn't be possible without financial help from the Ontario Tire Stewardship. (Giacomo Panico/CBC)

The mats cost more to produce than they are typically sold for because tires are difficult to process for recycling. But the business is made possible with money from the Ontario Tire Stewardship.

The stewardship collects $5.69 from the sale of every new tire in Ontario and uses the money to help recycle tires.

"It means the whole difference," said André Laflèche, president of Moose Creek Tire Recycling. "Otherwise, we wouldn't have been able to build this, we wouldn't have created the 60 jobs, we would have stockpilled the tires all over the place, and our children would have to pay to dispose of it in the future."

The company's goal is to process 3.5 million tires each year.

"People that have them [the mats] in their barn will tell you that their cows are happier," Laflèche said. "They're more comfortable, they produce, they have a better life."

Moose Creek is about 70 kilometres east of Ottawa, near Casselman.

Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.canadianmanufacturing.com/general/tire-recycling-plant-in-eastern-ontario-gets-18m-overhaul-124904

Quote:
Tire recycling plant in eastern Ontario gets $18M overhaul

Moose Creek Tire Recycling plant makes rubber mats out of tires recycled in province

BY Canadian Manufacturing Daily Staff ON November 22, 2013 9:37am

MOOSE CREEK, Ont.—The $18-million expansion of an eastern Ontario manufacturing plant that makes products out of used tires has been completed, according to the company, creating 45 additional jobs in the region.

Moose Creek Tire Recycling (MCTR) said its expanded facility in Moose Creek, Ont., about 70 kilometres southeast of Ottawa, will now to able to produce more than 300,000 rubber mats each year out of used tires.

“This expansion is as significant to Ontarians as it is to MCTR because it allows us to manage waste responsibility within the province and boost local job growth, all while fulfilling the growing demand for innovative recycled tire products,” MCTR president Andre Lafleche said in a statement.

MCTR began processing Ontario’s used tires in 2004 and partnered with Animat, a Sherbrooke, Que.-based firm, to manufacture rubber mats made from recycled tires for use in the agriculture sector as floor liners for barns and stalls.

“Ontario’s agricultural community is increasingly realizing the livestock, environmental and long-term cost benefits of using eco-friendly recycled tire products for its operations, such as those offered by Animat,” Lafleche said. “This demand has had a significant impact on our decision to expand our production capabilities to better serve Ontarians.”

In Ontario, more than 12 million tires are sold each year, and every tire contains more than 90 per cent recyclable materials such as synthetic and natural rubber, oil, polyester and steel, according to MCTR.

Under the used tires program operated by Ontario Tire Stewardship (OTS), MCTR works with collectors, haulers, processors and product manufacturers to recycle used tires into fine crumb rubber.

Crumb rubber becomes a key ingredient when creating new recycled tire products, such as MCTR’s Animat rubber mats.

The mats can also be used at ice rinks to prevent damage to skate blades and cement floors, and as anti-fatigue mats.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.animat.ca/en/
lissyssil
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe these would be perfect. But expensive. I believe that the 36ish pads at Christie lake were in the neighborhood of twenty or more thousand...
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber pads require a lot of maintenance...and a broom on every pad.
lissyssil
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... 4x6 stall pads are 40 bucks a piece in North Gower...

Yes, I see the need for a broom, but lots of maintenance? Lay a gravel bed, put down the mat, done. Sure, we'd have to pick them up each fall, I guess, but what other maintenance?
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Rubber pads require a lot of maintenance...and a broom on every pad.

Gets very expensive if you have to buy Roxie-Brooms TM....that guy's a thief
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The base is the key to any good tee-pad.

If we are talking about CF, we would need to consider drainage as well. This would mean diminishing diameter aggregate (stones, gravel and then stone dust) which all needs to be moved up the mountain, laid, packed and then have a mat tacked down on top of it

If we are going to go to all that trouble, I would have to question laying rubber mats down on top.

If we wanted to go this direction the best approach would be to build one or two of them and see how the wear over a couple of years
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lissyssil wrote:
Interesting... 4x6 stall pads are 40 bucks a piece in North Gower...

Yes, I see the need for a broom, but lots of maintenance? Lay a gravel bed, put down the mat, done. Sure, we'd have to pick them up each fall, I guess, but what other maintenance?

They get ruts under them and then the rubber pads dip. Then the water pools there.

You then have to pull them up (and they're probably bolted down) and then re-level the gravel bed, then re-install.

They're also very slippery when wet. And with sand and dirt on them.

I've played on them at different Worlds. (I guess it appeases the traveling pros who play with skate shoes and cross trainers.) And by the end of the week there were already waves in the rubber.

One Worlds had ads on them. That was cool.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would work better at a park, where it's predominantly grass and less chance of sand and dirt getting on them. The brooms help a bit.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a funny thread to re-read.

Rubbers, shoes, wet wood. Has it all.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
They would work better at a park, where it's predominantly grass and less chance of sand and dirt getting on them. The brooms help a bit.

a properly prepared base should not have issues with holes developing because it has been designed to drain and leave the aggregate in place.....easier said than done though, especially if there is a mountain's worth of spring run off coming at them
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

a properly prepared base should not have issues with holes developing because it has been designed to drain and leave the aggregate in place.....easier said than done though, especially if there is a mountain's worth of spring run off coming at them

I'll believe when I see it. All the other rubber pads I've played on have the same issues...plus they're darn slippery.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

I'll believe when I see it. All the other rubber pads I've played on have the same issues...plus they're darn slippery.

Like I said, easier said than done.

I am not convinced rubber is a good choice for us.
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKid
Driver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turf tee pads would be much better. Ever see a golf range with rubber tee decks? Didn't think so.

I'm pro turf for tee pads! Rubber would be slippy.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKid wrote:
Turf tee pads would be much better. Ever see a golf range with rubber tee decks? Didn't think so.

Turf gets very beat up quickly. Plus it's harder to maintain

Concrete is really the best
TheKid
Driver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
TheKid wrote:

True. Didn't think about that..
kenmlittle
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
TheKid wrote:

I don't think this is necessarily true. I was talking to someone who runs a course with lots of turf surfaces, it sounded like tee pads were replaced every 3-4 years. While we do impact the same area over and over, it is nowhere near the impact placed on turf for football and rugby pitches (which also wear in the same spots.)

Human has some really interesting turf that I would like to see worn over the course of several years. It is designed for mid level traffic on decks and entryways. I think Jess has a sample floating around. The Boys Club always uses this stuff under their camping hammocks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: