Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League -> Ice League - Winter 2009/2010 Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Ice League - Winter 2009/2010 Reply with quote

Ice League will kick off this upcoming weekend at Rockcliffe Park on a rarely used 9-hole layout that will feature a combination of baskets and natural objects. I'll bring 4 baskets with me, which is fine given the layout. If anyone can bring 1 or 2 more, that would be a great addition too.

Some holes will have alternate tee-pads for the 2nd round.

We'll have the regular layout for the 1st 9 holes, and then the somewhat longer 2nd round of 9 holes.

As in previous years, proceeds from the Ice League will go to the charity of our Ice Bowl, the Ottawa Food Bank.

We'll kick it off at 11:30 this Saturday at Rockcliffe Park. Disc Central will be near the large pavillion in the park, which has a parking lot just beneath it.

Maplink/Photo:

Parking Lot looking up to Disc Central.

By 11:30, the Ice Putt will be set up on my Innova basket, just above the parking lot, near the Rockcliffe Pavillion. For those of you who haven't played this format, it's a progressively difficult set of putting stations all looking at a single basket. Players get 1 pt for sinking the easy #1 station, and a higher number of points, commensurate with the station # (1 through 9). Players enter for $2 a round, or up to 3 rounds a week for $5. The weekly winner is awarded half the Ice Putt entry and 20 Ice Bucks.

Ice Bucks are to be awarded at the end of the season at the Ice Bowl's auction based on your series-long winnings. With Ice Bucks, you get to bid on auction items that are at the Ice Auction - this is at a comfortable warm pub after the main tournament in the series - THE ICE BOWL.

Ask anyone who has been at our past Ice Bowls - the table at the Ice Auction is tightly packed with prizes that I raise throughout the season and that players themselves donate. Prize donations are kindly accepted, and you'll be compensated with even more Ice Bucks for your donations - so bring those Christmas presents that you never should have been given, and you'll find something you like better at the Ice Auction!

This year will mark our 9th annual Ice Bowl, and this year we'll be playing at more places than ever:

- Kanata Disc Golf Course
- Flat Mountain
- The Shire
- Rockcliffe Park
- Vincent Massey Park
- Green's Creek
- Stacie's Alcove (when does hunting season end?)
- Hillsdale Park
- Kyle's Rockcliffe Parkway layout
- and maybe more!

I thought I'd start with Rockcliffe Park because the parking lot won't be open for much longer, and once the gates are closed it gets that much harder to set up the course and for players to walk in from outside the park.

The Ice Bowl itself will be held on Saturday, Feb. 13th, which is on our traditional weekend, one week after the Super Bowl. Ice League events will be held every Saturday (although we can talk about a date for the one closest to Xmas - which some might want on Sun. the 27th instead of on Boxing Day... details to be firmed up later).

As last year, we'll only count your Top-8 results in the series + bonus points for those who can attend the holiday time events around Christmas and New Year's.

Double participation points will be awarded to those who play on the 1st real snow day and at the Ice Bowl itself. For the "1st Snow Day - if it only sprinkles - that's not snow. It's got to be something significant, either falling that day, or already on the ground from a very recent snowfall.

The Ice League itself will start at noon, placing balanced teams of players from two groups based on experience and ability. We use a "Best Disc" format in this league, which allows newer players to learn from more experienced players, who are keen to help develop players in our area. To further mix it up, previous team winners at Ice League this season will not be able to play as partners again throughout the season, wherever possible.

Cost: $6 for the first two weeks, after which it will remain at $6 for those who have pre-paid for the Ice Bowl, or $8 for those who have not yet pre-paid. Registration to the Ice Bowl is $35 for non-members of the ODGC or $30 for dues-paid 2010 ODGC members.

Half of the weekly league fees goes to the weekly payout ($3). $2 from your entry fee goes to the charity. The final $1 goes to an Ace Pot, which rolls over from week to week if not won. If nobody gets an ace all throughout Ice League season, the Ace Pot will be donated to the charity. The additional $2 entry fee charged after the first two Ice Leagues for those who haven't pre-paid for the Ice Bowl goes straight to the charity as well.

If you have any questions - please post them in here.

I hope to see a good crowd at our first event this weekend. I'll be there at 11:00 to setup the course. If anyone would like to help out, please let me know.

~Don~

Last edited by Don Lane on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcliffe Park aka Greens Creek?
Or is this a different course?
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andros wrote:
Rockcliffe Park aka Greens Creek?
Or is this a different course?

No - Rockcliffe Park proper. Green's Creek will be played another week, as it's parking lot is open all year long. A link to a map for Disc Central is now posted above.

Ben knows the layout. I'll post it in here as well once I find the image I made 3 years ago for the course.

Last edited by Don Lane on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben had good things to say about this one.
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - 395' from the Pavillion to a concealed target behind a grove of trees
2 - 215' uphill to a target on the Upper Deck plateau
3 - 380' from an elevated teepad across the field to a target on a rolling slope
4 - 360' from the green area back towards the Upper Deck to a large target
5 - 340' anhyzer down a wide grassy road back to a natural target on the edge - SPOTTERS REQUIRED
6 - 280' agressive hyzer ace potential with OB road on the right
7 - 285' tight downhill tunnel shot, gently fading to one side
8 - 270' uphill tunnel shot up the same tight lane, gently fading the other way
9 - 325' wider tunnel shot on higher ground overlooking nasty treefilled slope, protected from and below the road level, favours lefties and flicksters.

These were the measured distances for the last time this layout was used. This year, we'll have some holes that tee up from a longer distance in Round 2. All holes are Par-3, for a total of Par-54.

Course Map:

Last edited by Don Lane on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play here on my lunch hour. Awesome terrain for frolf.

According to some beery tales of yesteryear I once heard, this location was where the very first plaid jacket was played. Back before baskets.

Will Ferrell

Last edited by Chuck Shick on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Rydell
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBrotherPenton wrote:
Ben had good things to say about this one.

Indeed. The layout makes excellent use of the terrain especially considering there is very little of it. There are quite a few holes that reward an accurate golfer who has an arsenal of throws instead of those with a powerful arm who can go over everything. The rough is difficult to play but not unfair and the OB on 6 makes a simple touch shot into a harrowing ordeal.
julz
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful about this location... it might have a curse about it. I was married there!

laughing

Looks like a fun layout, though.
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

julz wrote:
Be careful about this location... it might have a curse about it. I was married there!

laughing laughing laughing
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a wedding there a few years back. The reception featured a latenight do-it-yourself poutine cart. Ah the memories...

Will Ferrell
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Shick wrote:
latenight do-it-yourself poutine cart.

Really?!? That takes some imagination. I'd probably end up eating just the curds.
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBrotherPenton wrote:
Chuck Shick wrote:
latenight do-it-yourself poutine cart.

Really?!? That takes some imagination. I'd probably end up eating just the curds.

Me too. But I would chase it with a glass of gravy.
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the issue with me, I don't like gravy, therefore, I've never had a poutine. What a derail?

Ben likes this layout.
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

Will all the events only be on Saturdays with the exception being around x-mas?

Thanks,

John
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Pytel wrote:
Don,

Will all the events only be on Saturdays with the exception being around x-mas?

Thanks,

John

The one closest to New Year's Day would also be subject to a Sat/Sun shift. I'll talk to the people who show up on the first few weeks to see what they'd prefer for those two dates.

Aside from those two weeks, which are only for bonus points only, the rest would be on Saturdays.
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Don.

Maybe some alternating Saturdays and Sundays would be something to consider in the future.

Saturdays are always jam packed for me. Wife works every 3rd one. Kids organized activities are more on Saturdays than Sundays. That sort of thing.
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice League - Winter 2009/2010 Reply with quote

Don Lane wrote:
I hope to see a good crowd at our first event this weekend. I'll be there at 11:00 to setup the course. If anyone would like to help out, please let me know.

~Don~

I'll be there with my DGA portable at 11 to give you some help.
Never been to this park so I'm excited.

Last edited by andros on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike McCormick
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Don for volunteering to run the Ice League/ Ice Bowl again this year.
Mr. Fister
Driver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CFB Rockcliffe is closed for good and it is a $250 fine for walking, biking, or thowing.

Great choice of courses. Looking forward to it.
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ice League - Winter 2009/2010 Reply with quote

andros wrote:
Don Lane wrote:

~Don~

I'll be there with my DGA portable at 11 to give you some help.
Never been to this park so I'm excited.

Thanks!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: