Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League -> Ice League 2007 / 2008 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Ice League 2007 / 2008 Reply with quote

Stay tuned for the big announcement, and block off your Saturdays, as a full schedule of fall and winter events lie ahead of us. They'll all wrap up at our 7th annual Ice Bowl tournament, which caps off with our Ice Auction at The Honest Lawyer in the Market. The Ice Bowl will be held on Saturday, Feb. 9th, so please reserve the date on your calendar!

We'll be bringing Ice League out and about the National Capital Region, where we may be able to introduce you to courses you may have only heard of but never played at.

We expect that we'll have events lined up in:

- Jacques Cartier Park in Gatineau (with different layouts every time)
- Beaverbrook Park in Kanata (with a few new holes dropped in for post-season play)
- Stacie's Grotto (out in the Quebec countryside past Wakefield, but well worth the drive) [Car pooling options will be available]
- Gardenway Park (in a Julz-designed layout out in Orleans)
- The Shire - including the Hundred and Eleventieth Birthday party for Twirly Baggins
- Flat Mountain - where Old Man River's hospitality and 18-tonal-pole course eagerly await our arrival. [Car pooling options will be available]

Ice League will start this Saturday, Nov. 3rd at JCP, with the initial Ice Putt competition available for you at 11:30, and registration closing at noon. We should be underway by 12:15 each and every week. Week 2 will be in Orleans, which we have to play early before they box up the baskets for winter.

More info to follow...
surge
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played maybe 4 rounds since LNF, missed FFFM, and now I will miss the first ice league. Crying or Very sad I will be in Oshawa for figure skating sectionals with my daughter Very Happy she will kick some a$$ this year though!
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we've had in previous years, our Ice League series will lead up to our 7th Annual Ice Bowl, which is a charitable fund-raising tournament which benefits the Ottawa Food Bank.

During Ice League, which leads up to our 7th annual Ice Bowl, only your top-7 results will count on the ranking, so missing a few events every now and then won't hurt you too much by the end of the season.

Last year, through our efforts, we were able to raise over $2,300 and 1,000 lbs of food which went directly to the Ottawa Food Bank.

We also won the 'Great Canadian Ice Bowl Challenge' for the 3rd year running, which pits us against other Canadian-run Ice Bowls in a dozen cities from coast to coast. This competition compares $ raised, food donated, temperature, snow depth, and participation.

Calgary keeps raising more money than us, so we're aiming higher this year, and we'll make sponsorship forms available to anyone who registers for the Ice Bowl.

More on the Ice Bowl later... now it's time to let you know more about ICE LEAGUE.

Each week we'll announce a different location and/or layout on the ODGC Forum. This week we'll hold our Ice League event at Jacques Cartier Park in a best-disc doubles format using the Triple Crown layout on the north side of the park.

When: Saturdays.

Time: Noon, or 11:30 to warm up and play in our competitive Ice Putt event

Where: Different courses and different layouts, never the same one twice.

Cost: $6 for the first two weeks, then after it'll depend on your Ice Bowl Registration. After that the weekly league fee will be $8 or a discounted $6 for those who have registered and paid for the Ice Bowl.
From a $6 entry, half of it goes to the payout, $2 to the charity, and $1 to the ace pool. The extra $2 fee for a player who hasn't yet registered to the Ice Bowl goes directly to the charity.

Format: We'll play doubles best-disc style. Doubles teams will be pre-selected at random between two sets of players, the "advanced" and the "intermediates". If you win with one partner, say goodbye to them for the year, as you won't be paired together again.

For the points and the money you'll be ranked in teams against everyone, so the teammates get identical points regardless of whether they play "intermediate" or "advanced". This way, anyone can win by the end of the season. Bonus "Ice Bucks" are awarded to the top-7 finishers in both the Ice League and the Ice Putt rankings.

The goals of Ice League are to have fun in the freakin' cold, as well as stay in shape and in form for next summer, and to add to the value of our donation to the Ice Bowl's charity, the Ottawa Food Bank.

For our 7th annual Ice Bowl, your top-7 results will count this year on the Ice League ranking, which goes from now until early February.

Up to 3 Mulligans can be purchased each week during regular Ice League events, and the notorious SYN (Screw Your Neighbour) Cards are back with a vengeance at a reduced price:

Mulligan Cards - $2/each or 3/$5
SYN Cards - $3/each or 2/$5 (new lower price!)

Any one player can only SYN up to two other players per Ice League event. However, any one person can only be SYNned upon once per Ice League event. SYN Cards must be used during Ice League, as they aren't a part of the Ice Bowl. If you don't use all your weekly Mulligans or SYN cards, you can store them for use in a future Ice League Event. It's also worth noting that you have to see a player to be able to give them a SYN card, so keep an eye on those other cards on the course when your foursomes cross paths. wink (Right, Twirly!!!) wink

Weekly CTP winners will earn $20 Ice Bucks and a "Godfather Card." These cards can negate a SYN card that is tossed at you, and can also cancel the use of another player's Mulligan Card.

Ice Bucks that you've earned during the season will be given to you at the registration desk at our Ice Bowl. Ice Bucks are the only thing that can be used to purchase our awesome prizes at the Ice Auction. Last year, we had over 100 prizes that could be bid upon during the auction.

We also have a weekly Ice Putt event, which gets set up weekly at Hole #4 starting at 11:30. You can play up to 3 times weekly, either before or after Ice League for $2/round (or 3 rounds for $5). Weekly winners get half the pot and 10 Ice Bucks. There is a ranking for this as well, and the top-7 on it will get awarded more Ice Bucks at the end of the season.

We'll announce more things later, as this post is long enough.

The Ice Bowl cometh!

Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon we're gonna need a pocket rule book big grin Looking forward to the IL - always good times.
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of rules and Roxie, there's a new tongue-in-cheek rule this year.

ROXIE PUTTS LAST!!!

...so that his putting perfection doesn't scare people away from the Ice Putt competition. wink

As we mentioned last year, any Godfather Cards that you did not use last year will be honoured as such this year.

And yes, CANADIAN TIRE MONEY WILL BE ACCEPTED AT PAR. US funds won't. laughing
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orleans sucks balls, thats a waste of a saturday.
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you still owe me a GF card from last year... Cool
I think I won it on the last IL day, and never got it. Im sure you have records of it.

Last edited by Rolly on Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Steve Rydell
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one of the worst logo's I have ever seen. Do they do it on purpose? Whoever is in charge of this should be taken out back and put out of their misery. What's it going to be next year? Baby seals? Maybe they could show penguins doing a road trip to the north pole and have them golfing with polar bears.
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better yet, the should call back all the stupid little animals and put them all on one disc. Then we take that disc and blast it into outer space. It's cold up there.
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no control over the logo... only of our own formats, which make it fun and competitive all at the same time.

Hope to see a good turnout at JCP tomorrow. Even Zonker Rod should be dusting off his discs for this one.

See you at 11:30 - 12:00 near Hole #4 tomorrow!

~Splash~
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, it starts today??

Don did you figure out if I still have a GF card?
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly, I'll have a Godfather card for you.

Anyone else who has one from last year who has not used it already, bring it with you, and use it at any of our Ice League events.

One Godfather Card will be won today as a CTP, along with a big bag of Halloween Candy. Everyone will have 3 chances at it as we're playing the Triple Crown.

Ice Putt will get set up at 11:30. We hope to be choosing the teams shortly after 12 noon. We'll be playing a Best Disc format from random groups of players, divided in two groups based on experience.

Last edited by Splash on Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will also be accepting 2008 annual memberships, and 2008 club dues from annual, lifetime, and charter members, as a 2008 membership in the ODGC is required for the discounted price at the Ice Bowl.

Annual memberships cost $20. Annual Club dues are another $20, putting the total cost to $40 for the 2008 season.

Lifetime memberships are $120. Annual club dues are also due from these members, for a total of $20 for an existing Lifetime Member or $140 from a brand new Lifetime member.

The entry fee to the Ice Bowl remains the same as last year at $35 for non-members and $30 for members of the ODGC.

Ice League fees for this week and next week are $6. After that, the league fee remains the same only if you have pre-registered for the Ice Bowl. Otherwise, the Ice League fee will be $8.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

See you later on this morning!
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also have a limited selection of leftover stock from previous Ice Bowls.

Anything raised from the sale of the Ice Bowl discs goes straight to our charitable contribution. Andros got the first one of those discs a few weeks ago. cool

If your Ice Bowl disc has been working for you, 'ya might want to have a backup!

I might bring some club discs and some ODSA stamped Daredevil Beavers with me as well.

Oh yes, and I'll have the Swill Recovery Discs from LNF with me too. big grin
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note of clarification on SYN Cards and Mulligan Cards.

Mulligans can be purchased before Ice League starts, or where there is only a single grouping of players, during the round from the TD. However, you cannot purchase either type of card for immediate use during an "active" hole (i.e. after you have teed off and before you've holed out). Any card purchased can only be used on subsequent holes that have not yet commenced.

Up to 6 mulligans can be purchased or used at any one Ice League (except for the final Ice League event, called SYN City, which will be explained later on in the season). You can buy as many SYN cards as you like, but you can only use a maximum of 2 at any one Ice League event.

Anyone who has been SYNned once at an Ice League event cannot be synned again at that event.

Unused Mulligan Cards and SYN Cards can be used at subsequent Ice League events, up to the maximum allowed per week.

A team must decide to use a Mulligan card prior to the time that the next team throws their disc. The next team must give the other team reasonable time to make their decision about whether or not they will use a Mulligan card. Should they decide to use a Mulligan card, that team will throw BEFORE the subsequent team throws.

We also talked about using Mulligans and SYNs at Ice League. After giving it some more thought, lets just keep Mullys and SYNs to the Ice League. It will get messy if we introduce this random element in to the Ice Putt event.

If you have any other points or questions just post them in here, and I'll clarify things further.

~Splash~
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How'd the first Ice League go?
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the heck was everyone?
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have the results posted later today.
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Ice League this week?
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orleans
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: