Ottawa Disc Golf Club

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Team Play League -> [11] Thursday, July 19, 2007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: [11] Thursday, July 19, 2007 Reply with quote

Thursday players:

I will be away this Thursday, as well as next Thursday (July 26).
Don Lane is unable to guest host, so I am putting out this notice to see if anyone would be willing to run the Thursday night sessions.

What it involves is:
1) selecting a format
2) signing in players, collecting fees, paying winners
3) providing a full record of the results on this website.

Anyone able to help?

thanks.
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I can be there after all.

I'll take care of things.

Rather than set a format, I'll leave it open to the floor. Propose a format, and if it gets the most votes, we'll go with that.

Format proposals close on Thursday at 4:00. If we don't get a majority vote, we'll go with "Wolf" which I'll explain if necessary...
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks a lot Don.
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't speak out all at once... Cool
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not hearing any suggestions, we'll go with a version of "Wolf."

Many different versions of Wolf are out there to be played. This is the one we’ll introduce to our own players at tonight’s League Night.

Wolf Skins

Seeded groups of players will be formed from those in attendance at League Night in order to have as fair pools of players as possible. Ideally, you will play with players closest in level to your own.

A playing order is randomly determined amongst each group, and that order is maintained in a cycle throughout the round. Every player will have an equal number of chances to be “The Wolf.” The format works best with 4 to 5 players per group.

3 players – each gets to be the wolf 7 times each (21 holes)
4 players – each gets to be the wolf 5 times each (20 holes)
5 players – each gets to be the wolf 4 time each (20 holes)

The first player in the rotation tees off first, and is the Wolf. This always decides what tee placement will be used on any given hole. After their shot is made, two options are possible: that player can stand on their own against the pack (“The Lone Wolf”), or they can declare that they would like a partner, and then wait for the next player to shoot. This decision must be made immediately following the shot of the first player.

If the player chooses to be the “Lone Wolf” they play against the entire wolf pack, who all play “best disc.” If the Lone Wolf shoots better than the members of the wolf pack, they earn the skin(s) for that hole. Furthermore, for taking the risk of going alone, they earn twice the normal number of skins for that hole. If a member of the wolf pack wins the hole, all members of the pack earn the same number of points that the hole was worth.

If the first shooter opts to see the throw of a second player, they have the option, immediately after that throw to either choose that player as a partner, or to wait for a subsequent player to throw. If the first shooter passes on that player, they will again have the option of seeing the throw of the next player. In a five person pool, if the first shooter passes on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th player, they will gain the 5th player as a partner, regardless of how well or poorly that player throws. The Wolf and his/her partner earn identical points for any skins they earn as a team.

Upon conclusion of that hole, the 2nd player, as determined in your playing order, moves up and shoots, and determines if they want to play alone or with a partner. The previous 1st player becomes the 5th player in the shooting rotation.

Just like normal “skins” games, if a hole is tied between the two teams, it is a “push” and the next hole is worth one more skin than the previous hole.

Players play “best disc” from the best throw of their teammate(s) on every hole.

Sign-in from 6:15 pm, tee-off 6:30 pm.
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fears of thunder, lightning, and rain kept the players safe and at home tonight. The blustery wind didn't help things much either.

However, I showed up in case anyone else did.

At least I was able to show the basics of the sport to a reporter from 24 Heures who came to learn more about the game and the club.

We'll push this format to next week.
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on ya Don!
Spread the word.
surge
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work as usual Don!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Team Play League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: