Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League -> Ice Aution items Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Ice Aution items Reply with quote

We'll be posting two items a day for the next few week, and to kick that off, we'll post double the daily dosage here.

These discs will either be available in the Ice Auction or as prizes to division winners.

Let's kick it off with a local disc, featuring Ottawa's first professional player, Jeff Meldrum, at Camp Fortune.

SUPER COLOR SPECTRA - 2006 OD TOUR - CAMP FORTUNE

It was the player pack disc at this year's OD Tour event at Fortune, and if you're familiar with the course, you might recognize the terrain, or at least, Phattie's stylin' throw. It also features the Three Men in Hats riding the sky, including our own Twirly lookin' a bit like Ricky.

Spectra specs from Discraft

Next up is a tournament that many of us would have enjoyed going to, which was the first Monster Course tournament at Centennial Park this past season. The length of these holes was immense, and the big arms had a field day.

ESP SURGE - MONSTER COURSE - FRANKENSTEIN MODEL

It was instantly a legendary design when it was launched, and is sought out by collectors from both north and south. Many a player has probably felt the same as one of the two featured players when playing a challenging course like Camp Fortune in the heat.

Surge marcomm speak from the Discraft web site

The scan on this disc doesn't show it's true light yellowish-hue, but it would light up the sky looking more green when thrown, and with more clarity than any of the newer night-glo models. It should probably stay on your wall though, as they are more valuable brand new, as this one is. It's an original from 1979, weighs 154.5g, and goes for big bucks on E-bay and similar sites. Every true disc collector should have one.

Perhaps we can get Michael Sullivan, who donated this disc, to talk more about it in a future post.

1979 DGA MIDNIGHT FLYER #4 - Pristine Condition

This next disc ties our local club to one of the best female players in the world, as it is one of our Ottawa Disc Golf Club discs signed by the world's #2 ranked women's player, Carrie Berlogar.

169g CARRIE 'BURL' BERLOGAR SIGNED ODGC DX TEEBIRD

We met Burl while camping out at Kim Scott-Wood's place last summer, and she's a dynamo who loves playing on the Island course on Toronto Island. She'll be back with some of the world's best players for the National Tour in Toronto in early July

Teebird talk from Innova

Look for two more items daily for the foreseeable future.

This week's Ice League will be held at Jacques Cartier Park. More details on the format will be announced in another thread.

Ciao for now!

~Splash~
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You scanned these? Never thought of doing that. You need a digi camera dood. Nice discs!
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this doesn't get people to sign up for the
07' Ice Bowl nothing will! Razz
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxie wrote:
You scanned these? Never thought of doing that. You need a digi camera dood. Nice discs!

That's what I said.
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Aution items Reply with quote

Splash wrote:

Let's kick it off with a local disc, featuring Ottawa's first professional player, Jeff Meldrum, at Camp Fortune.

SUPER COLOR SPECTRA - 2006 OD TOUR - CAMP FORTUNE

This disc is worthless unless it gets signed. I want a "Spectra OD CF Meldrum Signed Disc".
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bring the discs for our cover model to sign to the next Ice League, unless he can suggest a quicker way for me to get them signed, as I don't think he'll be able to make it to IL for a few weeks...
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make it so whoever wins that disc at the ice auction gets it signed by him in person that night. Nothing better than having your idle sign in front of you sly wink
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disc featuring Meldrum is indeed very nice.

His signature on it isn't really essential, but for the diehard fans,
it could likely be obtained in exchange for offering to hold the
leash once, when he's faced with a tricky upshot.

More pressing in my mind however, is the depiction of the teal
and violet footwear accurate??
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of our Ice Auction discs are being sent via the Twirly Courier Company to Ottawa's First Pro, who might be seen by our frequently barefoot friend on the slopes tonight.

Meanwhile, we've got other Ice Auction prizes that you can bid on to post, so here we go with the daily dosage:

MISTER B MINIS - AVAILABLE INDIVIDUALLY AT THE ICE AUCTON

Here are three designs of mini discs made by our good friend Mister B, who was most recently in town at the Carp Ice League Event / Twirly's birthday party a few weeks ago.

Phat J/G, the 2005 Ontario Amateur Champion, gives more exposure to the Ottawa style, as we do more flicks and knee shots than western Ontario players tend to do.

The disc with the tree was from the 2006 Toronto Island Open, which was won by 2004 Canadian Champion Avery Jenkins, who is a class act with a HUGE arm.

The "On EDGE" mini was from the OD Tour event at the Etobicoke Disc Golf Enthusiasts home course at Centennial Park, near Toronto. If you plan to play this course, find a local to show you the layout, as it can be confusing at first glance.

The next disc was donated to the Ice Bowl by our highest rated locally-produced player, Stefan Dobrev, who is often known as either "Euro" or "ET" out on the course. It was one of the prize discs he won when he earned the Amateur title at this past season's New York State Amateur Championships. Both of our Pengellys were 2nd in their respective divisions at the same event. Cool

NEW YORK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS CHAMPION SIGNED SPECTRA

For specs on the Spectra, put on your specs and check it out above on my previous post. It's hard to put a new disc in my very-full tournament bag, but after trying out a Spectra for the first time after last year's Ice Bowl, it hasn't fallen out of favour yet. I like it for short to mid-range tunnel shots, and I find it easy to control.

Thanks for the disc donations Euro! We'll reward you with lots of bonus Ice Bucks on registration day at the Ice Bowl.
Hogger 2.0
Driver

Location: Innova Champ SL is my long distance service provider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splash wrote:
Stefan Dobrev, who is often known as either "Euro" or "ET" out on the course.

ET is the corrupted version of his real nick-name!

He IS and always WILL BE Euro Trash
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hogger, if anyone is going to hijack my thread, it's gonna be me! Cool

Check out this promo for the next DG movie

... and then when you're hot for the chains... sign up for the Ice Bowl!
Hogger 2.0
Driver

Location: Innova Champ SL is my long distance service provider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That scenes in that movie makes me want to play but that music makes me want to kill my family!
Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we met the girl with the ring in her lip in Tulsa. Can anyone help me out with this? She was hanging out with the Huk Lab crew, no?

Brother
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chick is SOOOOO HOT! Wicked looking movie.
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's her. I never forget a pretty disc golf face. Great trailer too!
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother Andre wrote:
I think we met the girl with the ring in her lip in Tulsa. Can anyone help me out with this? She was hanging out with the Huk Lab crew, no?

Brother

Her name is Kristi King, and she placed just behind She-Dawn at worlds, and ahead of the Pengelly Duo in mixed doubles.

Cool looking girl. big grin
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's additions to the Ice Auction prize gallery include a hard to find OD Tour disc featuring Toronto Island as a garden paradise (which it is), and an almost impossible to get Maceman disc.

The first one is from the OD Tour event on the fabled Toronto Island course during their inaugural 2005 season. Avengers are in the bags of many of the top touring pros, including the Island's own Kim Scott-Wood, who says of it's sister Avenger, in Elite-X-plastic, "This is my all around driver, I use it for 75% of my drives. It has great glide, is easily controllable, and flies further than any other driver I've ever thrown. I will throw it on my backhand drives that are moderately straight from 350 to 450 feet. If it's a shorter hyzer shot I will use this disc as well. It flies with a little hyzer but is less overstable than the Z Avenger."

2005 OD TOUR PARADISE ISLAND ELITE-Z AVENGER

Kim has the highest rating of any Canadian player in the PDGA last season, but with the pending return of the legendary Jeff Malton as a "rookie pro master" this year, he'll have his hands full keeping that title. Competition is a good thing!

Otherwise, Discraft refers to it as a good disc for beginners, and we all need to own some plastic to share with people who we are introducing the sport to.

Our second disc on display today is a one of the rare Maceman North Doubles Tour Challengers. By the time Mace hit Camp Fortune, these popular discs were almost all gone to the earlier 5 stops along the tour.

MACEMAN NORTH DOUBLES TOUR FULL COLOUR CHALLENGER

According to the Discraft web site, "The Challenger™ is an amazing overstable putter, and very popular with advanced players. It can get around trouble for those long hyzer putts and is overstable enough to take a good amount of snap on approaches."

Do it with style, with this SuperColor Challenger, only available at the Ottawa Ice Bowl's Ice Auction, which will be held at The Honest Lawyer after the conclusion of play at JCP.

This disc can also be seen in the Discraft SuperColor sample gallery, on the 4th page.

Last edited by Splash on Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day isn't over yet... I just had a busy day at the office.

Here are two more reasons (do you still need some?) to come on out to the Ottawa Ice Bowl...

LIMITED PRINT TEXAS - THE STATE OF DISC GOLF - STAR BEAST - CFR

This is a Candy Fund Raiser disc from The Big Show V, a Maceman run tourney down in Cedar Hill, Texas, about a year ago. The disc is an Innova Inncolor CFR Star Beast, numbered #51 of 55, and weighing in at a sweet 164g. I purchased it from Mace at the Capital Classic, and it's one of my donated discs to this year's Ice Auction.

If you're looking for more info on a Star Beast, you know what to do...

Our second item today in the Ice Auction preview is one of the original discs from the original duo (before they became the three men with hats) who founded the OD Tour. The disc is somewhat more purple-coloured than blue, but hey, that's how it scanned.

2005 ORIGINAL DISC AND ORIGINAL DUO ELITE-Z CRUSH

The Discraftspeak on this disc calls it an "overstable, maximum distance driver with a wide rim and flat top that delivers superior distance off the tee in almost all wind conditions. Used by many top pros as their main driver, the Crush™ is a very fast disc that finishes with excellent glide... Overstable for all but the biggest of arms, [the Elite-Z Crush] offers excellent glide for added distance."

Euro and Kiwi throw a lot of Crushes, so ask them about this type of disc.

Tomorrow should be fun in the snow. Ribbon-up your discs tonight, as it's far easier to get in done indoors that out in our beautiful snowy course.

Last edited by Splash on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a ton of interest in the Discraft full colour OD minis in last year's Ice Auction. They fly as sweet as they look too...

[WE INTERRUPT THIS POST TO BE HAPPY FOR THE PITTSBURGH PENGUINS... WHO JUST SCORED AGAINST THE LEAFS ON A PENALTY SHOT GOAL... NICE MOVE BY JARKKO RUUTU!]

... Kilgour... what a dumbass... goaltender interference penalty for the Maple Leaves... good!

Anyways, as I was saying before the Leaf bumbling got me off stride, these minis are larger and heavier than ones we are used to, and fly better as well.

2006 OD TOUR MINIS FROM DISCSTOCK AND CAMP FORTUNE

These minis feature local players as well, with Twirly making an appearance in the boat at Discstock (which sunk, but that's another story...) and Jeff Meldrum as cover model on the Fortune mini. Both will be signed by the boyz. Hope they enjoyed the snow-filled slopes today!

Speaking of signed discs, we have an ODGC Orc signed by the reigning Canadian champion, Avery Jenkins, who also won the

170g CANADIAN CHAMPION AVERY JENKINS SIGNED ODGC DX ORC

Not only is Avery the Canadian Champ, but he is also the 6th highest rated player on the planet, the #5 ranked player in the world, and the winner of the 2006 Player's Cup.

Did I mention that Avery also won the distance competition at Pro Worlds this year with a throw of over 575'?

Hell of a good guy too. I'm bidding on this one.

Last edited by Splash on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post two new Ice Auction items for Sunday, and then another couple for today.

First off the post, we have a rare disc from the Maceman, with the face of his jester logo on a sweet looking Star Valkyrie.

MACEMAN FACE OF THE JESTER STAR 175g VALKYRIE

Star Valkyries
are turnover distance drivers that have great glide. It's also Juliana Korver's driver of choice. This disc was donated to the Ice Auction by Splash.

The Valkyrie is a World Record holding distance driver. It is an easy to learn disc, and in lighter weights will give newer players extra distance. Lighter weights also give players extreme range when thrown downwind, while maximum weights can give excellent upwind distance. The Valkyrie’s high speed turn and flight characteristics make it great choice for long range turnover shots and rollers.

The 2005 US Masters Disc Golf Championships, which was held in La Mirada, California, produced a number of discs for their state supporters. This driver was won by Euro at the 2006 New York State Championships when he won their Am division. The disc was also donated and signed by our highest locally rated player, Stefan 'Euro' Dobrev.

2005 US MASTERS DISC GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS - NY STATE SUPPORTER DRIVER

Today's discs feature an anniversary special, and a disc signed by 4x World Masters Champion.

2005 CHILI COURSE 10th YEAR ANNIVERSARY DISC - CHILI COOKOUT

This disc was donated by Mike Medalia, who was the TD of this tournament. Mike has since moved back to the west coast, but he'll be missed in our area, and appreciated more in small town Washington State.

It's an Elite-X Full Colour Wasp tournament disc, and since Mike moved out last year, the disc hasn't yet had a 2nd annual event, despite the name matches in the town's name and the tournament theme. Just don't pronounce them the same... the locals get testy! wink The disc weighs in at least 177g, since it has one of those "177+" stickers on it.

Alls good... on to the next!

172g ODGC BRAD HAMMOCK WORLD CHAMPION SIGNED DX TEEBIRD

We were busy getting some of our discs signed for this Ice Auction! We were able to get four time Masters World Champion Brad Hammock, who was also staying with us at Kim's place on the Island, to sign this 172g Teebird for us. Teebirds are very reliable discs, and most of the touring players in Ottawa either use them, or have used them at one time or another.

Hammock ended up winning the tournament that we were at, which was one of 29 PDGA tournament wins he has had in the past two seasons, in either the Masters or the Open Division.

Innova describes the TeeBird as "one of our most accurate and reliable fairway drivers. It has a combination of straight flight, high glide and good speed that make it accurate and long flying both upwind and downwind. It is a popular choice for pros including [12]-time World Champion and Hall-of-Famer Ken Climo. It is [a] very versatile driver: excellent for pin-point accuracy, distance and sidearm."

If you received a Christmas present you didn't want, but think other people might appreciate, why not donate it to the Ice Auction! We'll give you Ice Bucks to compensate you for your donation, which you'll be able to use on stuff you really want!

It's a WIN-WIN with the Ice Auction... only at the Ottawa Ice Bowl.

Get a friend to register today!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: