Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Marking Lies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redline
Spin Doctor

Location: My canoe has run out of pancakes and the skidoo needs more woodchips.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Marking Lies Reply with quote

Here is an FYI that will keep you out of trouble in a tournament, and is a clarification on why Brett's shot needed to be marked:

803.02 Marking the Lie
A. After each throw, the thrown disc must be left where it came to rest until the lie is established by the placing of a marker. This can be done by placing a mini marker disc on the playing surface between the hole and the disc, directly in line with the hole, touching the thrown disc. A player may instead choose, without touching or repositioning the thrown disc, to use the thrown disc as the marker. ...

Because Brett picked up his disc and didn't mark it, he's committed a marking violation. The penalty is summarized in

803.02 Marking the Lie
G. A player shall receive a warning for the first violation of a marking rule if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. One penalty throw shall be assessed for each subsequent violation of any marking rule during the round if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

While there was no doubt that Brett would make that shot (any player over the age of five could, the drive was that good), while playing in a competitive tournament, failing to mark a disc could cost you strokes. The only saving grace is that PDGA rules allow for one instance of forgiveness per round.

Cheers!
-P

BenW
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Marking Lies Reply with quote

Wow. They're that strict about marking drop in putts?
peachgrinder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Marking Lies Reply with quote

During the Super 9, you could see the Pro's marking each and every drop in... though they are more strict about the rules, it was being followed to a 't'.

PEACH

Terapin Flyer
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Marking Lies Reply with quote

Usually when I got a tap in, ill just take any disc from my bag, stand behind the disc and put it in without marking. Then I only have to bend over 1x. and in JC, you dont want to bend over alot.

redline
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Marking Lies Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Terapin Flyer:
Usually when I got a tap in, ill just take any disc from my bag, stand behind the disc and put it in without marking. Then I only have to bend over 1x. and in JC, you dont want to bend over alot.

This is what competitive players do with tap-ins. If you're close enough, you grab another disc so that you don't have to bend over to place a marker, then bend over to pick up the marker once the shot is finished.

You may wonder, "why would you care about picking up a marker disc", but if you consider that the two rounds on Saturday saw (almost) everyone make 45 markable shots that went in the basket, those are 45 deep knee bends or 45 times you have to "touch your toes". Marking the disc every time turns that into 90, once to pick up the disc, once to pick up the marker (23 holes first round, 22 holes on the second). That's alot of exercise IMO.

redline
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Marking Lies Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by peachgrinder:
During the Super 9, you could see the Pro's marking each and every drop in... though they are more strict about the rules, it was being followed to a 't'.

PEACH

Shots were marked on every round, not just the Super 9. The TD even told everyone that you had to mark your disc. "Flipping" it does not count as marking as mentioned at the start of the tournament. When we play league night format, play isn't as strict, but a sanctioned tournament is a different story. As an aside, I like the rules. They keep the playing field level, and prevent people from taking the little "liberties" that subtract from the difficulty of the game.

peachgrinder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Marking Lies Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by redline:
Shots were marked on every round, not just the Super 9. The TD even told everyone that you had to mark your disc.

Yes, I was aware and was marking my shots, as were the people in my groups. But, most people did not have the opportunity to watch the pros or other groups from the gallery during their rounds, so it was the easiest way for people to be made aware of the fact that it is a requirement (and was stated as such by TD BBP).

I would think that the more PDGA events people from Ottawa play, the less this will be an issue.

PEACH

Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Marking Lies Reply with quote

Soemthing to consider:

You can either mark it, or just leave it where it lies.

One philosophy is to only mark the disc if it is in an awkward lie (i.e. up against a tree).

It saves you from having to keep track of a mini all weekend, having to bend over some 200 extra times and it promotes faster play. Furthermore, when running up to a mark on a fiarway drive, a big disc is an easier target to step behind than a little one.

Lastly, people tend not to mark their disc in recreational games so it means you have two different routines. if you get into the habit of not flipping your disc then your routine doesn't change during tournaments.

flipping/marking gets you 7 inches closer to the basket. It's a lot of extra time and physical and mental energy for so little gain.

my 2 cents

Will Ferrell

Terapin Flyer
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Marking Lies Reply with quote

Thats true,
If its in the fairway and im 300Ft away, I wont mark it.
When im in the trees, I will see if I want to flip it or not, cause sometimes moving fwd 7 Inches, makes the next shot harder then if you left it.
Kitty Hawk
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Marking Lies Reply with quote

I marked my drive on 18a simply because I needed to use the same driver for my second drive... and my third.

Every extra inch matters... or so I'm told.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: