Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Shirts?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Shirts? Reply with quote

Yup, it was stupid hot. Yup, people played shirtless. Yup, I kept my shirt on (for the benefit of all). Is there a rule/regulation about PDGA tournaments that require a shirt to be worn? Should there be for tournaments of this stature in the future?

Brother

------------------
I used to rock and roll every night and party every day...then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky to find half an hour each week in which to get funky...

colin
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Shirts? Reply with quote

pdga rules say you need to were a shirt and shoes.
colin
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Shirts? Reply with quote

there's actually a vote on this topic in the next PDGA election. Here's what they say the current rules are:

'The following dress code for all competitors will be enforced at all PDGA National Tour and Major Events. The PDGA also recommends that this dress code be enforced at SuperTour and lower tier events, but this decision lies solely with the Tournament Director:

• All players must wear a shirt covering their upper chest area. A well-tailored shirt with a fold-down, mock turtle, v-neck, crew neck, Henley, or zippered collar, and with sleeves covering the part of the arm from the shoulder to the elbow (commonly known as the upper arm), shall be considered acceptable. Women are also allowed to wear sleeveless collared shirts as designated above.
  • No tee shirts will be allowed, except for competitors in the Junior and Amateur divisions during preliminary rounds only. Juniors and Amateurs shall not wear tee shirts during semifinal or final rounds. Crew neck or V-neck shirts made of high-performance or high-tech materials, such as Dry-Fit, Cool-Max, and others will be allowed.
  • Shirts that hang down lower than the bottom hemline on the player's shorts shall be tucked in.
  • No ripped shirts, shorts, pants will be allowed on the course. This includes unhemmed, torn or cut 'vents' at the shirt collar.
  • No offensive, profane, or obscene slogans or logos shall be allowed on any clothing. Junior players may not wear slogans or logos referring to alcohol or tobacco.
  • Shoes or other foot coverings must be worn. Players will not be allowed to play in bare feet. Sandals or slides are allowed.
  • This dress code will be in effect from start to finish at each event, including all tournament rounds. Players who do not make the final cut, but wish to remain on site through the duration of the tournament, will be considered spectators and will not be required to conform to the Tour's dress code.'
    Kitty Hawk
    Big-Arm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Shirts? Reply with quote

So the upper chest and the area 'known as the upper arm' have to be covered...but not the stomach or 'lower torso.' Long shirts have to be tucked in but they don't say anything about short shirts. So feel free to bare your midriff boys and girls.
    silver surfer
    Putter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Shirts? Reply with quote

that's pretty hard core man. there definitely were a couple of those rules broken over the weekend. shirtless is a little too much for a tournament IMO, but sleeveless? it was hot out! ah well, i guess that's what the vote's for.
    Kitty Hawk
    Big-Arm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Shirts? Reply with quote

Obviously our TD used his discretion and opted not to enforce the dress code.
    Terapin Flyer
    Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Shirts? Reply with quote

Christ, this sounds like the dress code for the boarding school. What next no hair below the collar.
    """""""""""""
    Women are also allowed to wear sleeveless collared shirts as designated above.
    """""""""""""

I guess we with a penis cant wear those eh? Once again discrimination against the male.

"""""""""""""
    Crew neck or V-neck shirts made of high-performance or high-tech materials, such as Dry-Fit, Cool-Max, and others will be allowed.
    """""""""""""
    CoolMax--made by Dupont. Someone in the PDGA have Dupont shares?? I could not force anyone to by anything Dupont, they are one of the most offending polluters in North America, and are not at all honest about teflon poisoning from cookware and clothing (which is worse)
    Whats wrong with a nice natural cotton shirt

""""""""""""""
    No ripped shirts, shorts, pants will be allowed on the course. This includes unhemmed, torn or cut 'vents' at the shirt collar.
    """"""""""""""
    Cheese. Looks like ill have to buy some new shorts. I find it funny, I have to look nice and respectable, but I can still suck back cigarettes during my round.

"""""""""""""
    Junior players may not wear slogans or logos referring to alcohol or tobacco
    """""""""""""
    But if im in a group with a junior I can still smoke cigs....great thinking

Does the PDGA not have anything better to do? If they are what seems to be concerned with image, then why dont they ban tobbaco use during a round?
    If you play in some cities or states, it would be breaking the rules to smoke during play, because of public smoking bans.

BigBrotherPenton
    King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Shirts? Reply with quote

Dress codes are for NT and A-Tier events. We're haveing fun. Dress to be comfortable I say.
    redline
    Spin Doctor

Location: My canoe has run out of pancakes and the skidoo needs more woodchips.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Shirts? Reply with quote

All of this is an attempt by the PDGA to legitimize the sport. I feel that they're going about it the wrong way, though. The rule about tucking in one's shirt actually exceeds what most whiteball courses insist on as a dress code.

If you consider the angle that the PDGA is approaching this from, you'll understand why this applies to NT and Major events. The PDGA has been trying to attract a NT sponsor since they started the NT. It hasn't happened yet, and one of the things that the PDGA feels has subtracted from the image of disc golf as a professional and legitimate sport is the penchant of its players to (quite literally) dress like bums. Imagine being a Ford Motor Company representative who has been invited to attend a NT event. As you watch the golfers tee and play, you notice that not one of them looks like they could ever buy one of your cars. And these are the guys in the sport that are making money! There is no way you'll fork over $10k for tournament sponsorship, or $100k for tour sponsorship.

Now, before I get flamed for being some sort of bourgeois elitist , I'll offer the following caveat:
    Disc golf is not about the clothes that you wear or the style that you express. It is a hike through a park (or in the case of a course like CF, a hike through the wilderness) where a player should make every effort to dress for the environment that they are in. IMO, disc golf as a sport is an aesthetically and environmentally perfect game. The sad fact is that the general population is completely ignorant of that fact, and all that they see are people throwing frisbees. In a world of corporate advertising, image is everything, and until the image of the game that the players put forward changes, the legitimacy of the sport is not likely to.

McVert
    Putter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Come to Mont Avalanche Reply with quote

We have the ladies wear bikinis and school girl outfits, ye haw!
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: