Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Delay of Game?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terapin Flyer
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Delay of Game? Reply with quote

Does a player need to shoot within 30 sec's of approaching the pad when teeing off on any given whole?
redline
Spin Doctor

Location: My canoe has run out of pancakes and the skidoo needs more woodchips.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Delay of Game? Reply with quote

quote:

801.03 EXCESSIVE TIME
A. A maximum of 30 seconds is allowed to each player to make a throw after:
(1) the previous player has thrown; and,
(2) the player has taken a reasonable time to arrive at the disc and mark the lie; and,
(3) the playing area is clear and free of distractions.

You've got 30 seconds, unless you have to wait for someone or something (passing bicycles, Jean-Guy, a pause in a pick-up baseball game, etc.).

Terapin Flyer
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Delay of Game? Reply with quote

Options one and two dont happen while teeing off.
redline
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Delay of Game? Reply with quote

Considering #2 (marking the lie and approaching the disc):

quote:
Lie: The spot on the playing surface upon which the player takes his or her stance in accordance with the rules.

and:

quote:
803.01 TEEING OFF
A. Play shall begin on each hole with the player throwing from within the teeing area.
8< SNIP! >8

These rules combined define how one could interpret how 2 does apply, as the lie as defined above is already marked in the case of a teepad (though by the letter of the rule, there is no disc to approach, only the teepad).

Considering #1: for the first hole:

quote:
804.02 Beginning Play
B. Staggered Starts (rounds where groups start one after another on a certain hole): The player shall start at the time announced by the director. Players may practice until their group prepares to tee off provided their practice does not distract players on the course. If a player is not present to throw when it is his or her turn, the scorekeeper shall allow 30 seconds. If the player has not thrown by then, a score of par plus four is to be entered for that hole. This procedure continues on any subsequent tee offs for which a player is absent. No holes shall be replayed. If a complete round is missed, or if a player does not finish a round, the player may, at the discretion of the director, be disqualified.

and then the order of play rule:

quote:

801.02 ORDER OF PLAY
A. Teeing order on the first teeing area is determined by the order in which the scorecards were filled out or by the order the players were listed or arranged on the scoreboard.

B. Teeing order on all subsequent tees is determined by the scores on the previous hole, with the lowest score throwing first, and so on. If the previous hole was a tie, the scores are to be counted back until the order is resolved.

These define who shoots first, and takes care of the "First Hole" loophole that you are thinking of. In the case of any subsequent hole, when the last person putts-out on the previous hole is when you now start taking your reasonable time to "arrive at the disc and mark the lie...", or simply walk to the pad.

Rolly, you've found one of those areas in the rules where due to poor word selection and by the letter of what is written, it is easy to find a loophole. That is why 803.00 General exists:

quote:
E. Rule of Fairness. If any point in dispute is not covered by the rules, the decision shall be made in accordance with fairness. Often a logical extension of the closest existing rule or the principles embodied in these rules will provide guidance for determining fairness.

Based on what exists elsewhere in the rules, 801.03 Excessive Time would apply to teeing off as well.

Just my $0.02. Of course, I think that the only local play to have the designation of "certified" official is BBP. You'll have to answer to him if you wanted to take longer.

Cheers!
-P

redline
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Delay of Game? Reply with quote

Hey, if you hadn't noticed, reading the rules can be fun. If anyone out there hasn't gone through them, give them a read. You'll gain a better understanding for some of those bizarre "rituals" that people seem to do. You may find what you thought was weird sytle is actually a rule (like falling putts and running up to the basket to remove your disc before someone else shoots).
Terapin Flyer
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Delay of Game? Reply with quote

I really got this one from the PDGA site,
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Delay of Game? Reply with quote

Yah, I've been reading that thread. Those guys should be freakin lawyers. If it was up to them, everything, and I mean everything that has to do with DG would be covered in the rules. They find a loop hole in everything.

G

Terapin Flyer
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Delay of Game? Reply with quote

No doubt, you going out tonight for DG?
DiscDiggler
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Delay of Game? Reply with quote

Rolly, when are you going to be in B-Town?

I lost my cell in St.Thomas so page me and I will call ya back 416-237-2881

(Bring my Spider, and some money as you are up for an ass kicking at WSP)

BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Delay of Game? Reply with quote

No, can't tonight. I have to build the baskets and tee signs for LNF.

G

Terapin Flyer
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Delay of Game? Reply with quote

Prob Sunday, i'll e-maill you. Around 1 @ breezy trees hopefully..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: