Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Do know your rules?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Do know your rules? Reply with quote

How long do you have to find a "lost disc" before it's considered officially lost? And when you do start timing?

Does everyone in the group have to help?

BBP

Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Do know your rules? Reply with quote

3 minutes from when you arrive at the point it was last seen.

yes, upon request for the full three minutes.

gimme my coke...

Will Ferrell

Clint
Trodden Teepad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Do know your rules? Reply with quote

You are right but where is the players' lie? Also, upon declaration of a lost disc, all players in the group must assist in locating sadi lost disc.
colin
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Do know your rules? Reply with quote

the lie is from the point in which the disc went out of bounds (in the air).
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Do know your rules? Reply with quote

Yes, if the disc wen OB before it was lost then the point of exit is where you play from. But one can lose a disc in bounds. Tall grass is often the culprit...

The lie is determined by the group. The drop is from where the disc was last seen.

Will Ferrell

BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Do know your rules? Reply with quote

Player J is playing in a Tournament and is not having the best of luck. He's on the bottom card and trying to be entered in to the Guiness for hitting the most trees and OBs possible.

Player J picked up his disc after he threw from his lie. It was covered in thick chunky mud. He flicked it a couple of times, up and down, to get rid of the mud. On the 4th time flicking it down towards the ground the disc slipped out of his hand and flew behind him about 10 feet.
No one was there, and he was thankful, because it could have hurt someone, and maybe only one person saw this.

Now, not only is Player J thoughful of others, he also plays by the rules. What should Player J do?

Shaggy
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Do know your rules? Reply with quote

Pack it in and drive back to Ottawa. Failing that take a stroke and play it where the flick landed.

Nuthin beats Roc
redline
Spin Doctor

Location: My canoe has run out of pancakes and the skidoo needs more woodchips.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Do know your rules? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by BigBrotherPenton:
... He flicked it a couple of times, up and down, to get rid of the mud. On the 4th time flicking it down towards the ground the disc slipped out of his hand and flew behind him about 10 feet.
No one was there, and he was thankful, because it could have hurt someone, and maybe only one person saw this.

Allow me to offer this interpretation:

If player J had already thrown and was picking up his original disc which he/she left in place to use as the marker disc, then:

Player J has inadvertently thrown a practice throw. Sadly, the disc went more than 2m away from the hole, and must be considered a practice throw as such.

If Player J plays by the spirit of the rules, Player J will credit him/herself with a stroke for a practice throw and will be able to take the next shot from the new lie.

If Player J plays by the letter of the rules, Player J's infraction was not witnessed by two players, so he/she could technically pretend that nothing happened, and STILL be playing within the rules (though, the practice throw rule states witnessed by ANY two players, and as such he/she would have to blatantly lie about the throw, and this makes Player J a dishonest person, and not a good disc golfer).

Now, the nice ending where everyone lives happily ever after and making one other assumption that isn't clear from the original case description: Player J marked his / her disc, stepped back to clean it off before rethrowing it, and lost control of it.

Seeing this event happen, player K (the witness), quickly notes that Player J does not have a foot within 30cm of the marker disc, and shouts "Foot Foul!"
Player J looks down and sees that this is indeed the case and substantiates the call. Because player J hasn't been called for a stance violation yet in the round, this serves as a warning, and Player J can take his next shot from the original lie without penalty. Player J smiles and thanks Player K, and Player J offers to buy Player K a beverage after the round in thanks of his/her quick thinking, intimate knowledge of the rules, and compassion for a poor soul that was already having a bad game.

Cheers!
-P

Say, how were the breezy treez?

BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Do know your rules? Reply with quote

This is what happened....I took my shot, picked up my disc and was wiping it off, and I flicked the disc up and down to get this big hunka mud of my disc and off it went....one guy I'm sure saw it, but didn't say anything....I told them what happened and another guy in the group said to forget about it....but I didn't and added a stroke to the hole.

Practice Throw: During a round, the projection of a disc of a distance greater than two meters, or of any distance toward a target, intentional or not, which does not change the player's lie, either because it did not occur from the teeing area or the lie, or because the player had already thrown competitively from the teeing area or the lie. Throws that are re-thrown in accordance with the rules are not practice throws. Provisional throws made pursuant to 803.00 C(3) are not practice throws. A player shall receive a penalty for practice throws in accordance with sections 803.00 B or 804.02 A (2).

So I took my next shot from under the basket were my real second shot on the hole landed...therefore taking a circle 4.

Sucked.

Brampton Breeze Treeze was wet, and at times real freakin' Breezey. Thought I was doing well on Saturday until I heard how the top card was doing. I shot a +2 and number 1 AM1 shot -10.

Took a 6 on the same hole 3 times, the other time was a 5 (tight as ______) . Then I also took a double circle 7. It was humbling, though I didn't think I had that bad of a game, the strokes added up.

I think Meldrum finished the best of Ottawa in AM1, and I'm not sure of the Best in AM2 between Rolly and Little Brother Penton. We took our wetness and drove home.

BBP

BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Do know your rules? Reply with quote

I don't think I'd call it on someone else, but I guess we all should. I didn't want that guy in our group that saw it to sit there thinking whether or not he should or not and maybe put some bad vibes to the group. But rules are rules.

I appreciate the guy in the group who said to forget about it, but we were playing all the people in the division, not just each other.

In the end that shot didn't ruin the game, it was the ones that intentionally threw that killed me. Freakin woody course. I mean WOOOOODDDYYY. The hole I took 3 6s and a 5 was down the alley of a man made forest. One knick and you were out of there. Some people though were amazing down that alley. Straight as an arrow, and hard. A great hole really, just it can make you pay.

BBP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: