Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

I'm pleased to announce a brand new tournament to Ottawa, which already has OCUA, The World's Biggest Ultimate League.

It's a world-wide tournament known as WORLD'S BIGGEST which will be held on Sunday, May 4th, 2003.

Our edition of this tournament will feature the BEST PLAYER PACKS ever seen at an Ottawa tournament, with the value of the packs in excess of the entry fees.

Many thanks to tournament sponsors CD Exchange (The Ultimate Disc Golf Store), Daredevil Discs, Disc Golf Stuff, and Circular Productions.

There will be three divisions, "Open", "Intermediate", and "Novice", each with their own distinct Player Pack, as outlined on the tournament web site: http://www.geocities.com/ottawadiscgolf/wb03.html

The tournament will be held on the north end of the course, using the popular «Triple Crown» format for the top two divisions, and a Red-Blue-Red teeoff format for the Novices.

A special prize will be awarded to whoever brings the most new people to the tournament, so if you havn't played at a recognized tournament at Jacques Cartier Park in the past three years, please let us know who encouraged you to come to the tournament.

Other prizes, including 'How to Play' videos, golf discs, ball caps, shirts, etc... will be awarded for various best drives and CTP (closest to pins) in the three divisions.

32 player packs have been ordered from the central organizers, and will go to the first players to register and pay, either in advance or at the tournament. A re-order will be done if necessary for later entries.

Entry forms are available on the tournament web site, in either PDF or Microsoft Word formats. Enter soon to get the best stuff!

It'll be sweeeeeet! See you there!

~Don~
TD, Ottawa World's Biggest 2003

BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

LOOKS FANTASTIC DON!!!!!!

BBP

Terapin Flyer
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Thx to the sponsors and of course the man DON (and whom ever else)who put this together
It's gonna be suite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is it a PDGA event??

[This message has been edited by Terapin Flyer (edited April 09, 2003).]

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I'm rather excited about it myself.

The World's Biggest won't be a PDGA event, but there will be a local PDGA tournament at our course this season.

Information on our PDGA "C" tournament, the National Capital Classic, will soon be released.

Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

Dapper Don!

You rock, my man! I'll be there with bells on (I'll save the kilt for Plaid Jacket)!

Andrew

------------------
Master of funk and...EVIL!

Flatball
Disc Jockey

Location: "My disc went in the basket thing. What do I do now?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

Oh boy golf. Guess I'll dig out the boots and gas up the Pinto. Protect yourselves, Montreal's comin!

------------------
Ray "Flatball" Farquhar
Montreal

FlamingoK
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

Looks like a barrel of monkeys!

Don, is the Novice division for Ultrastars? Or is the tourney for DG Discs only?

Thanks,
K

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

The Novice Division will ideally be using golf discs [see below for clarification]. Everyone who signs up in this division gets a golf disc of their choice (a putter, mid-range, or driver) in their player pack, along with the other phat pack merch.

Other discs will be available for sale, or you could always borrow some from other players, just to check out if you like them or not. I'll bring some spares of my own to loan out as well.

[Edit: just for the sake of editing]

[This message has been edited by Don Lane (edited April 11, 2003).]

HILLBERT
Mid-Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

Is it frowned upon to use Ultrastar? I would like to play but not interested in playing with golf disks.......
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

Thanks for asking the question.

While I'd prefer people to use golf discs, the tournament is not a PDGA event, so I've got no problem with people using ultimate discs in the Novice Division.

I received the first official entries this evening. There's not a lot of room for this tournament format, so I have to cap it at 54 people, although 45 would be nicer, so send your registration forms in quickly to avoid disappointment.

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

I also moved back the close of registration to 12:00 noon to accomodate those going out late to that stag party, and other late events on Saturday evening.

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

Just as a reminder, the person who brings the most "new people" to this tournament gets a special trophy-disc, so when you sign up, please let me know who else you've convinced to come.

If you havn't participated in more than a single tournament at our course in the past three full seasons, then you're considered to be "new".

So far we have over 20 registered, so there's room to grow, and still get some of those sweet early Player Packs. Those who register too late will have to wait for theirs.

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

The merchandise is in, and it looks sweeeeet!

It was like Christmas in April. The Champion edition Beasts in that new semi-transparent hard plastic look especially nice. Those of you who were at the OCUA Captain's Meeting may have seen some of the merch at the Ultimate Disc Golf Store desk or the Daredevil Discs section. The merch is also on display in the back end of CD Exchange in the ByWard Market, which is where you'll find the Ultimate Disc Golf Store.

The t-shirts and towels have a full colour print of the World's Biggest logo on them and are made from 100% cotton.

We have 23 entries so far, so I hope that "the usuals" will send in their forms by mail or e-mail soon:

OPEN DIVISION:
Steve Seabrook
Mike McCormick
Geoff Penton
Ryan Penton
Paul Holland
Steve Penny
Rob Wormald

INTERMEDIATE DIVISION:
Nick Aghajanian
Andrew Leach
Paul Bourgeois
Ray Farquhar
Rod Nicholls
Christine Beals

NOVICE DIVISION:
Luke McCormick
Robyne Leslie
Ben Svetkoff
Mike Hill
Kindha Gorman
Chris Burgoin
Ken Perreault

Pending: Chris Penton, John Mann, Ryan Benson

Dog Face Boy
Putter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

Having perused the early bird entries I declare Brother Andre and Ray to be sandbaggers large. That is all.
DFB
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

Even Little Brother Penton has entered into the Open division and he hasn't played this season, and only five times last season....

BBP

Middle Master P
Tonal Pole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

This is Chris Penton... I am booked to work on sunday of the tourney.. but still trying to get it off... (my excuse: I have an exam the next day... which I do... but i'm ready for it) and I'm ready to whoop all y'all so I hope I have the chance... cross your fingers...

And if Little Brother Penton is in the open... and I'm not there... you better watch out... he'll get ya!!!
belie' d'at!!!

Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dog Face Boy:
Having perused the early bird entries I declare Brother Andre and Ray to be sandbaggers large. That is all.
DFB

...in my best Mayor "Diamond" Joe Quimby voice:

Never let it be said thatI will not fold in the face of public, er, ah, pressure. Put me in the Open division where I will, er, have my ass handed to me like so many er, ah, Mulligan cards at Ice Bowl...

Andrew

------------------

Flatball
Disc Jockey

Location: "My disc went in the basket thing. What do I do now?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

OK,OK.. Hear ye all (especially DFB):

DESPITE the fact that my first drive at the tourney will be my first throw since last year's Plaid...

DESPITE the fact that I live in Mtl and play 5 times a year...

DESPITE the fact that I qualify for the geezer division...

DESPITE the fact that I have a physique rarely seen outside the asparagus family...

... you can't call me sandbagger! I choose utter humiliation (and a better player pack) first.

Please put me in the open division.

Ray

[This message has been edited by flatball (edited April 27, 2003).]

Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

Geez Ray,

You and I should get jobs at the Gap we fold so easily...

Andrew

------------------

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: New tournament - WORLD'S BIGGEST Reply with quote

We're now up to 25 entries, with more expected soon.

OPEN DIVISION:
Steve Seabrook
Mike McCormick
Geoff Penton
Andrew Leach
Ray Farquhar
Ryan Penton
Paul Holland
Steve Penny
Rob Wormald
Mike Harley

INTERMEDIATE DIVISION:
Nick Aghajanian
Paul Bourgeois
Rod Nicholls
Christine Beals

NOVICE DIVISION:
Luke McCormick
Robyne Leslie
Ben Svetkoff
Mike Hill
Kindha Gorman
Chris Burgoin
Ken Perreault
Chris Labrecque

Pending: Chris Penton, John Mann, Ryan Benson

Keep those forms & e-mails coming in.

Please cc any new e-mails to me at the following address, as my home e-mail address is about to change: ottawadiscgolf@yahoo.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: