Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Last year's Match Play Series was a smash hit, so we're dusting it off and bringing it back for another season. Match Play is a golf format where two players compete against each other, attempting to win holes. Low score on a hole wins the hole, ties are a wash. The objective then, is to force your opponent to run out of holes so that it is not possible to catch up. (ie; if you're 3 holes ahead with 2 to play, you've won...) This format makes for a different disc golf dynamic; feedback from last year's players was really positive...

I've invited everyone who participated in the inaugural 2001 Match Play Series to sign up again for the 2002 Match Play Series which I am proposing to coordinate. That is, the 16 returning players will have one week preferred status to decide to sign up before I open up all spots to the general disc golfing public.The format will be expanded to 24 players, so that I'll start a waiting list immediately for new players, with the first 8 to sign up being guaranteed a spot.

Last year, the Series ran in a 16-player single-elimination format, with a full slate
of ranking games for those losing in the A-flight. This year, I would like to run the event in a similar, but slightly different format, which hopefully will improve the Series.

I plan to increase the number of players to 24, and begin with four pools of six players. Within each pool, a round robin will be played, with the top two placing in A-bracket, the middle two in B bracket in and the last two in C bracket. Using the deck of cards random draw method, the "red" side and the "black" side will then play a single-elimination series of quarters, semis and finals, including consolation ranking matches. In total, this gives every player eight matches, and we'll end up with a fully ranked table of all 24 players. With this revised format, it is possible to lose a match or two and still have a chance of taking first place.

The first matches will take place Sunday, April 28th at Jacques Cartier at 2:00 pm. With an early start to the event, there's no need to put any time line expectations for the series. It will move along as we can schedule it, we can take all season to complete it.

Entry fee will be $40 for these eight matches, broken down as: $5 ODGC fee, $5 ace pool (defaults to club if not claimed, multi-aces will share pool proportionally) and $30 for prize payout.

Looking forward to hearing back from you, and to a good 2002 Match Play Series.

Ken Darcovich
MPS Coordinator. (ken.darcovich@nrc.ca)

[This message has been edited by Ken Darcovich (edited April 12, 2002).]

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

just updating the registration:

so far 10 of 16 players from last year have committed to this year's Series. Deadline for priority status is 5 p.m., Friday, April 19.

7 of the 8 guaranteed new spots have been claimed, and any new entries beyond the 8th spot will be first in line to take spots unclaimed by returning players.

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:26 am    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

There are still a few spots available.

Please contact me soon if you're interested.

It all starts on Sunday.

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

We're going with 20 players, 4 pools of 5 for a round robin, then top 2 per pool into A-flight, mid-2 into B-flight and last into C-flight. A and B flights will play quarters, semis and finals as well as ranking consolation matches, C will have a 4 man round robin. Everyone gets 7 matches.

For Sunday, it stacks up like this:

DIAMONDS POOL
Grignon vs. Kaegi
Penton vs. Holland
(bye Leach)

HEARTS POOL
Lange vs. Ott
McEwan vs. Donovan
(bye Visser)

SPADES POOL
Wormald vs. Meldrum
Lane vs. O'Brien
(bye Thompson)

CLUBS POOL
Seaby vs. Nicholls
Manning vs. Darcovich
(bye McCormick)

good luck to everyone.

Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

So which tees will we be using? pleasesayblue, pleasesayblue...

Andrew

------------------
Master of funk and...EVIL!

Buck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Are we playing in the snow storm ??
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Four players showed up in the blizzard.
No matches got played, some fees got paid and three of us played a round. Very enjoyable.

Will propose another date soon for a general first round meeting, and other organizational details.

Re: tees question. You can agree with your opponent to use whichever tees you like. If you can't agree, then Blues will be the default.

[This message has been edited by Ken Darcovich (edited April 28, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Ken Darcovich (edited April 28, 2002).]

Dog Face Boy
Putter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Outstanding effort by those who showed, I consider myself a hardy 4-season golfer but today was just too much for my good graces. Go Leafs!
DFB
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:12 am    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

We will try again for a general get-together for the first matches on:

Sunday, May 5, 2pm, 1st tee at JC.

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Things got underway this afternoon. Results from Sunday, May 5.

DIAMONDS

Kaegi def. Grignon 2 & 1

HEARTS

Donovan def. McEwan 22 Holes

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Things are going well here in the London area. V.A. Barrie Park, which is their well established 18-hole course in St. Thomas, has some interesting holes on the steep hills, and an unforgiving creek named Kettle that claimed my favorite Tee Bird (Twirly, I need a new one). Just after I birdied Hole #1, I sunk a sinker. Bah!

The locals are friendly and now know about our upcoming tournaments. They want us to come to theirs too!

The Waterworks course in St. Thomas is muddy, poorly marked, and sparsely used. It's best to go with a local, but none where around when I played as much of this course as I could. It has a lot of short, technical holes through thick brush, and a few Swamp Holes, where you expect Yoda or an X-Wing fighter to appear at any moment.

It features changes in elevation, and the chance at a birdie on almost every hole, if your disc is lucky enough to navigate the meteor storm of trees that sway into your throws.

Note - if you go to Water Works, prepare to get muddy. However, it was a nice hike and an interesting layout.

I'll check out the brand new course in downtown London tomorrow. Apparantly, it just got dropped in the ground recently.

I'm stuck here for two more days, and then hopefully I can get a few Match Play games in back in the National Capital.

Peter - if you need me to bring anything back with me from John Mann in St. Thomas, just let me know in here, or by cell: 613-799-8812. I'm here until Tuesday mid-day or Wednesday morning.

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

result from Sunday, May 12:

SPADES

O'Brien def. Lane 3 & 2

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 8:54 pm    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

result from Saturday, May 18:

DIAMONDS

Holland def. Penton 3 & 2

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 3:58 pm    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

result from Saturday, May 25:

CLUBS

Darcovich def. Manning 6 & 5

[This message has been edited by Ken Darcovich (edited May 26, 2002).]

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:41 am    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

result from Tuesday, May 28:

CLUBS

Darcovich def. McCormick 6 & 4

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:09 am    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

result from Wednesday, June 5:

CLUBS

Seaby def. Darcovich 1 Up

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

result from Wednesday, June 12:

CLUBS

Seaby def. Manning 8 & 7

Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:32 am    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Seaby's a machine!

Andrew

------------------

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:34 am    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

B.A.,

You too may be a machine, but at present we lack the data to make that determination.

Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: 2002 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Nope, not a machine this time.

I lost to Big Daddy Penton on June 29 (2 and 1) thanks to some sweet putts by Mr. Penton and my apparent inability to play disc golf.

I also lost last night (July 4) to Mr. Paul Holland (5 and 3) despite 4 birdies for the round. Paul's putting was spot on all night and I just couldn't keep up.

But I'm having fun...whatever...

Andrew

------------------

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: