Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> New Fall Tournament Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodsyowl
Trodden Teepad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:21 am    Post subject: New Fall Tournament Series Reply with quote

Since several club members have their own portable baskets and our club has a lot of “memory” golfers, I thought we should have a fall “Scramble Series”. What I am looking for here are suggestions and or commitment level of all ya disc golf geeks.

What is the format?
- Three, ½ day tourneys (18-27 holes) spread over the fall months at 3 different parks and or vacant lands within Ottawa/Hull. (Exact dates and first park pending on interest)
- Woodsyowl will select the first park and setup the course.
- After the first day of the tournament, the winner chooses a new park location. The idea behind this is threefold: 1) to have all golfers keeping their eyes open for new potential DG courses 2) promotes the game and 3) allows the winner to play on their “home turf’. The person who has the highest score has to setup the course for the next tournament. In other words, this individual spends a couple hours before tourney day picking holes that meets “scramble series” course setup requirements. More on these requirements to follow.

What is required:
- 18 cones (supplied by golfers that are ulty team captins or other)
- Commitments from club members willing to donate baskets for all 3 tourney dates.
- Course design requirements – 25% of holes 100m or longer, 50% holes 65-99 m and 25% 40-64m long. (all values are apprx when building the course).
- Enough interested players to make this worthwhile.

Prizes/Cost:
- $45 for all three tourneys, upfront. Individuals wanting just to play selected courses are discouraged but will be accommodated. Playing just a selected course will be a reduced prize payout (example 1st $30, 2nd $25 and 3rd $20).
- 50% of revenue goes to prizes by ranking and MIP for the series.
- 25% ODGC for JC maintenance or whatever.
- 25% towards a portable basket for next years tourney
- Food not provided.

Did I miss anything? Sound good? Comments please.

Self.

PikAchU
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: New Fall Tournament Series Reply with quote

Just one question. If the holes are portable, can't they be stolen easily. Two hours might be too long a time.
woodsyowl
Trodden Teepad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: New Fall Tournament Series Reply with quote

A valid concern but the two hours I was refering to would be approximately how long it would take to scout-out potential holes before the day of the tourney. The actual instalation of the baskets would not occur until people who own the baskets show up.
Dog Face Boy
Putter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:59 pm    Post subject: New Fall Tournament Series Reply with quote

I've got a basket and I've got my course picked out too! Put me down.
DFB
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: New Fall Tournament Series Reply with quote

I'm in....and I too have a basket....
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: New Fall Tournament Series Reply with quote

I was thinking that we might get this started the weekend of the 12th and 13th of October. I have an area in mind that is on NCC Property that we could set up and maybe have a NCC Guy or Gal out to see what we might have in mind. I am going out this weekend (September 21) and doing a walk over if anybody is interested in seeing the location. A couple of eyes would be great to stop me from making 18 good flick holes.

If you have a hole "we" would like to borrow it if you can't make it out for the 13th of October. I think WoodsyOwl had a Saturday planning and a Sunday playing planned when he came up with this great fall tourney.

Geoff
bigdaddypenton@hotmail.com
737-4217

LeppyR64
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:15 am    Post subject: New Fall Tournament Series Reply with quote

Flick's are good, if you're right-handed!

Around what time do you intend to do this walkaround Geoff?

------------------
Jason Lepack
leppyr64@hotmail.com
Left-Handed Sandbagger

woodsyowl
Trodden Teepad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: New Fall Tournament Series Reply with quote

Older Penton, still need a hand? I dropped the ball on this idea since the response seemed less then enthusiastic. Regardless, I would be more than happy to walk around sept 21st.

what time? place? (McCarthy Vacent)?

BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: New Fall Tournament Series Reply with quote

I have two places in mind...the "Utopian Disc Golf Course", behind the Hunt Club Community Centre on MacCarthy (the large field between MacCarthy and Riverside Dr), or the land at Walkley and the Airport Parkway. That one stretches out quite a ways as well.
The "Utopian" field has been up for sale for awhile apparently, and big house developers have their eyes on it so it might only be available for a limited time. The other one is untouchable by developers, but could be open for more recreational uses ie Disc Golf.
I was thinking that the second one would be neat to look at because if we had an NCC guy come out we might actually get something for the long haul.
I was thinking about maybe meeting around 9:30 or 10 am this Saturday (the 21st) at the Linton "entrance" http://www.mapquest.ca/maps/map.adp?location=%2fjoZo%2fGWKsYMwMtMkZ62dbDNZqQ%2fqFAImNoOZ%2b0sciVwWVi%2bGLlLtQyGxFTf8vRXvWZ3zJa8AUlE%2fHgFTthsOYcok5mn6ecX&address=southmore&city=Ott awa&state=ON&zipcode=&country=CA&addtohistory=
You can see by the map that it's a pretty good size. The entrance is where Thorndale meets up with Linton.
The other one, "Utopia" is here.. http://www.mapquest.ca/maps/map.adp?pan=w&mapdata=%2bDurgsgaQPuEiaQI9XMVr7rxdMROBL8Wi8opbZvuAwzYLRS4MstBvqvS%2fEX7Dc3D%2fgtYkplXpCu%2b8EdMvaS%2bkBOceILuwMbOXeIhHmuCj8%2btj930OOYX82 G4j4GXF2Y%2fgZXG5AnISr7QYeL17rZRTfaNp7jg4S%2fCtAVBduI2PqBJQYPl5%2fd%2fVNxcGUvVzr9YoHk7dbvUovzv%2fYCaC85WpnhtMojoqwlZpGdB29sTZCb5sZF6qd%2f1fU%2bFYlzjeXHVOeCiO0ftyJI76MZu1Fcx3ErDENU5 tvNkjgemLaS4lBeJNKVEqFeCJayqvkUA9qu%2fTWTrSZ9swS6nErjmT2E8i%2fo7FjLEGeoh
And it's the Grey area from the Train Tracks to the the Green area. It's freakin huge.

We could check out both since they're tres close to each other. But we could meet at 9:30 at the Linton entrance....sound good?

Geoff

BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: New Fall Tournament Series Reply with quote

One of the links won't work....do a search on Mapquest for Paul Anka in Ottawa, and you'll see Macarthy field. The Utopia is the grey area behind it and around it...

[This message has been edited by BigBrotherPenton (edited September 19, 2002).]

Seabrook
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: New Fall Tournament Series Reply with quote

Unfortunately I must work this Saturday. I strongly suggest people come and check out this possible site. It has some very nice tight and technical areas under a 100' forest conopy then opens up into some big wide open terrain with elevation changes.

Good luck this weekend!

BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: New Fall Tournament Series Reply with quote

It might rain on Saturday morning....if it's pouring at 9:30 Saturday then we can meet Sunday at 9:30. Is that good with others?

We're meeting were Linton meets Thorndale. There's a path that leads into the back fields between two houses.
Check out the maps.

Bring your discs and we can get a good "camp" game going.

Geoff

[This message has been edited by BigBrotherPenton (edited September 20, 2002).]

Big Joe Mufferaw
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: New Fall Tournament Series Reply with quote

I'll bring my discs and my game. Oh yeah, and a really big hat. Umbrellas are for wimps and are mother nature's way of zooming in on those she is about to zap out of the gene pool.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: