Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> Matchplay Series #2 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 6:58 am    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

Yeah, Chowder!

I agree whole-heartedly. Lets see if we can't drum up a few other poor souls for this fine event. Right on! Dig it!

Andrew

------------------
Master of funk and...EVIL!
...and I STILL can't birdie "The Orchard"...crap!

Dog Face Boy
Putter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 9:21 am    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

There must be 5 more out there - I don't see Claus or Darkovich on that list yet, get a hold of them Don and it's only 3 more to go.
DFB
Dog Face Boy
Putter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 9:22 am    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

sorry connection problems caused the same messages to be sent twice, but I stand by the above...that is all.
DFB

[This message has been edited by Dog Face Boy (edited August 30, 2001).]

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 3:26 pm    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

I agree for many reasons. We'll keep it open until we hit 32.

I've worked on a number of formats for 24 people and for even numbers of people < 32, but they all rely on some rather shaky stats, like how well you did vs your random opponent vs. how well someone else did against their randomly generated opponent.

Without getting into details, a 32-player tournament is a lot smoother to operate and will cause fewer problems overall.

Right now we are at 29 people. Ken Darcovich is not available, and despite sending Claus a few e-mails, I havn't heard back from him yet.

The current participant list is :

MATCH PLAY SERIES II Particpants:

Nicholas Aghajanian – Kevin Grignon – Simon Kaegi – Greg Herage – John Kean – Don Lane – Ken Lange – Luc Langelier – Andrew Leach – Dean Manning – Derek Manning – Mike McCormick – Joel McEwen – Peter McKinnon – Jeff Meldrum – Andy Morrisey – Rod Nicholls – Steve Ott – Nick Roberts – Steve Seabrook – Mike Seaby – Gavin Thompson – Carl Visser – Rob Wormald

#25 — #32

Jamie Russell – Tom O'Brien – Wah-Phung Lu – Justin Calow – Steve Penny

Ask around and we'll get the final three, and then we can start driving!

[This message has been edited by Don Lane (edited August 30, 2001).]

Mike Harley
Driver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 3:30 pm    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

Damn it count me in. I'm going to occupy the bottom ladder though.
hags
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 4:00 pm    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

Okay fine...I'll do it. But leave that last place spot open for me.
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 4:32 pm    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

Steve "Little Wheels" Selkirk is in. That's 32. Now it's a party!

[This message has been edited by Chuck Shick (edited August 30, 2001).]

Will Ferrell

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 8:40 am    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

The par-tee is ON!

Congrats all - we made it to 32.

Now lets pick a starting time. I'll be sending a similar message out by e-mail to all of you shortly.

CHUCK - Could you please send me Little Wheel's current e-mail address?

MIKE - As for the battle for DFL, I think it will be hotly contested. I may actually get a trophy for it, since MHJ and SeaBass have shown that without an incentive, the DFL matchup might take some time to complete.

I would like everyone to send me their availability for an initial start date for Match Play Series II. After that, all matches will be up to the individual participants to arrange, but it would be best if we could launch this puppy with a bang.

It would be great if we could start during this upcoming long weekend, but it is rather short notice.

Possible Launch Times:

a) Sunday, Sept. 2nd, 2:00 p.m.
b) Sunday, Sept. 2nd, 6:00 p.m.
c) Monday, Sept. 3rd, 2:00 p.m.
d) Monday, Sept. 3rd, 6:00 p.m.
e) Tuesday, Sept. 4th, 6:00 p.m.
f) Wednesday, Sept. 5th, 6:00 p.m.
g) Thursday, Sept. 6th, 6:00 p.m.

Please let me know which of these time slots you can make, and which ONE of them is your favorite. If all of them suck, suggest an alternative start time/date.

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 11:45 am    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

I've now heard from about half of you. It doesn't look like the long weekend is good enough to be anything but a few practice rounds.

a) 10 votes against, 5 votes for
b) 10 votes against, 5 votes for
c) 7 votes against, 8 votes for
d) 6 votes against, 9 votes for
e) 4 votes against, 11 votes for
f) 1 vote against, 14 votes for
g) 3 votes against, 12 votes for

So far, f), which is Wednesday, Sept. 6th @ 18:00 is winning... Hopefully Steph Suys or the web team won't shut this post down. Wink

Seabrook
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 12:38 pm    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

Why not make it every Thursday night. A regular league night.
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 10:11 am    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've now heard back from 24 of the 32 registered participants, and at least 20 of you are available to start on Wednesday at 6:00pm, so that is when we will launch the tournament. Hopefully, some of the others who have yet to get back to me will also be able to make that starting time (don't forget to include your contact phone numbers and best result over 18 holes).

Given that the sun is setting earlier these days, it would be great if all of you could be at Jacques Cartier Park, warmed up and ready to go by 6:00pm. We'll need to make the random draw for all those who show up, and for all those who weren't able to make it for the launch.

As pioneered by Ken Darcovich, I'll have a King Can ready for the "odd man out" in case we have an uneven number of people show up for the launch on Wednesday evening.

We'll meet by Hole #1 for the random draw, after which we'll spread out on the course to start at different holes so that we can finish the round before the sun goes down.

Please find attached the tournament format, http://www.geocities.com/ottawadiscgolf/de32-mps2.xls complete with a dummy-data tournament and payoff grid. Your comments would be appreciated.

~Don Lane~
Match Play Series II TD

hags
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 10:48 am    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

I was looking at the sample data that you included, along with the payout amounts and personally I'd like to see more money distributed to the top 4 or 8 players. Give a little more incentive for finishing well. If you don't give out anything for finishing below 20th then you have an extra $131 to pay with, and if you lower the amount given out for 17-20th then you have a bit more.

Of course this is just my opinion and there is a pretty good chance I'll be rounding out the bottom 5 or so, so if you want to allocate more money for the bottom finishers that'd be cool too!

Hags

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 11:29 am    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

While working on the payout sheet, it was a trade off between giving people _something_ for completing all five rounds and giving the winners some $.

Don't forget though, that the top money earner could earn up to $200 for both winning the tournament and landing the first tournament ace.

Everyone is contributing $25 towards the purse and $5 towards the Ace Pool. I wanted those who finished in the middle (16th / 17th) to come out even, and those on either side to come out with something better or worse.

It's tough coming up with something balanced and rewarding. Specific examples would be appreciated...

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 10:55 am    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

Tonight we launch Match Play Series II into action.

Confirmed for tonight's startup, we have:

Nicholas Aghajanian – Justin Calow – Kevin Grignon – Kevin Haggerty – Mike Harley – Greg Herage – Simon Kaegi – John Kean – Don Lane – Luc Langelier – Andrew Leach – Mike McCormick – Joel McEwen – Jeff Meldrum – Tom O'Brien – Steve Ott – Nick Roberts – Jamie Russell – Steve Seabrook – Mike Seaby – Carl Visser – Rob Wormald

Unable to attend this evening:

Dean Manning – Derek Manning – Peter McKinnon –

Havn't yet confirmed their availability for this evening:

Ken Lange – Andy Morrisey – Rod Nicholls – Steve Penny – Wah Phung-Lu – Steve Selkirk – Gavin Thompson –

chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 10:58 am    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

Andy and Little Wheels will be in attendance. Gavin as well but I'm not sure. chowder
Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 12:29 pm    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

Moi aussi!
Seabrook
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 12:51 pm    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

If I get the ditch dug in time at UPInc, I will definitely be there.

Steve

hags
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 12:53 pm    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

I know this really isn't the place for this but...ditch dug at UP Inc?
Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 3:40 pm    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

I can personally vouch for my roomie. Gavin said he would be there tonight. Though, I wonder, is it fair to let him start #2 without having finished #1?

Andrew

------------------
Master of funk and...EVIL!
...and I STILL can't birdie "The Orchard"...crap!

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 9:22 am    Post subject: Matchplay Series #2 Reply with quote

Match Play Series II - Update

The launch of Series II was held at Jacques Cartier Park last night and the turnout was tremendous, with 25 golfers showing up. Many thanks go out to all who were able to attend. I was hoping for one more person to show up since we had an odd number of participants, but that is what the King Can was for, which eventually went to El Presidente.

We were able to finish 75% of the first round matches and complete the draw for those unable to attend.

Here is a summary of the Round "A" matchups held last night:

Carl Visser vs. Nick Roberts (Visser 10/9)
Joel McEwen vs. Tom O'Brien (O'Brien 4/2)
Andrew Leach vs. Wah Phung-Lu (Phung-Lu 4/3)
Andy Morrisey vs. Jamie Russell (Morrisey 4/3)
Mike Seaby vs. Kevin Haggerty (Seaby 4/3)
John Kean vs. Rob Wormald (Wormald 6/4)
Gavin Thompson vs. Rod Nicholls (Thompson 6/5)
Steve Ott vs. Mike McCormick (Ott 5/4)
Kevin Grignon vs. Mike Harley (Harley 1 up, 19 holes)
Greg Herage vs. Simon Kaegi (Kaegi 9/Cool
Luc Langelier vs. Jeff Meldrum (Meldrum 7/6)
Don Lane vs. Nick Aghajanian (Lane 6/4)

Remaining Round "A" Matchups:

Ken Lange vs. Dean Manning
Steve Penny vs. Steve Seabrook
Justin Calow vs. Peter McKinnon
Derek Manning vs. Steve Selkirk

Round "B" Matchups:

Visser vs. O'Brien
Phung-Lu vs. Morrisey
Seaby vs. Wormald
Thompson vs. Ott
Harley vs. Kaegi
Meldrum vs. Lane
------------------------
Roberts vs. McEwen
Leach vs. Russell
Haggerty vs. Kean
Nicholls vs. McCormick
Grignon vs. Herage
Langelier vs. Aghajanian

Please arrange with your opponents to play your Round "A" matches as soon as possible and your Round "B" matches no later than one week from our Launch date of September 5th. Every player is guaranteed five matches against five different opponents.

Those people in the remaining round "A" matches and the two of you who were short-in-the-wallet last night, please contact me directly to let me know when I can expect your entry fees. For those playing an "A" round match, I suggest that one of you collect it from the other, based on which of you runs into me on a more regular basis. If informed of the time/date of your match, I will try to attend to pickup the entry fees, but I can't guarantee that my schedule will be able to match up with yours.

Note to Justin: Peter McKinnon is on vacation until very late Saturday evening. Try to get a hold of him on Sunday to possibly setup a match that day or early next week.

The Ace Pool was not won last night, and so we await the first tournament ace. $5 from everyone's entry fee goes to this fund, so $160 will be awarded to the winner of this pool, which unclaimed will be donated to the Ottawa Disc Golf Club. In case of simultaneous aces, the first person who contacts me about their witnessed Ace will win the pool.

Aces are golden. Just sink it.

Don Lane
Match Play Series II T.D.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: