Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> Friggin' Vandals Series II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 12:31 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

Dean Manning and I played our final round of Match Play early this morning (Sunday) and found that the chains for numbers 3, 8, 9, 11, 13 and 14 are gone. The tops for three of the holes were found around the course (one in the trees beside the tee box for #10 with a hypodermic needle next to it). Dean now has these tops in his car. The tops for the other holes are still there.

As for the chains...we found none.

It certainly makes putting more interesting...

Andrew

------------------
Master of funk and...EVIL!

Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 2:13 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

This incident is serious enough that it should be reported to the police. At that time, we can also detail the other vandalism that has occurred. There's nothing they can really do about the stuff that has happened, but if they are aware that it is an ongoing problem, then they might watch a little more carefully whenever they drive by...

Glad you found the tops though... Harley and I played this morning as well, and assumed they had vanished. Obviously you guys had just beat us to the punch.

Cheers!
Ken

Peter McK
Putter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 10:13 am    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

I'm angry about this, but also confused. A set of chains is worth perhaps $10, yet someone (or two) probably spent an hour or more wandering around the park, choosing which ones to steal. All for 60 or 100 bucks worth of chains. Am I naive, or are people really this desperate? The answer's yes on both counts, and there's little we can do about either one.

Why did they only take the newest chains? There are also double chains on other baskets that were not disturbed. Would these have been more difficult to steal? Why were none of the Discatcher chains (yellow baskets) disturbed?
Finally, how can we reduce the likelyhood of future chain theft?

Your opinions are welcome.

I've consulted with the membership and we'll decide soon on what action we should take in the short term. I'm against replacing the chains now, although I do intend to remove the signs for the winter.

Seabrook
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 11:26 am    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

The chains were galvanized steel, the other chains were not galvanized. Why someone would want galvanized chain is beyond me.
NICK
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:01 am    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

Maybe they're setting up a scuba course?
Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:28 am    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

I have heard through people who played yesterday (Monday the 12) that #3 is now only a pole. The basket is missing, too.

Andrew

------------------
Master of funk and...EVIL!

woodsyowl
Trodden Teepad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 11:29 am    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

I took the top part and the basket for #3 since the bolts were either missing or lose. However, chain is missing.

Should we take all the baskets out this winter?

Peter McK
Putter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 2:44 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

John Mann, the St. Thomas supplier of all things disc golf, came out to the park Tues morning, along with several others.
We put a new top on #14, and took down the signs for winter. John also sold us enough replacement chain to bring the course back up to snuff. Rob W. has the chains; which need to be pried off the new top rings John loaned us.

Is it worth repairing the baskets now?

Personally, I'd rather wait 'til spring. The course is still playable, although putting on five of the holes is now a markedly different challenge. Few people golf in the winter, and the thieves might take advantage of an empty park. And I don't want to give the thieves the signal that we're made of money.

Aggy
Tree Pruner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 4:30 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

that's a good idea...why give away more chain that is necessary? have the police been notifed? a basket here, chains there...next thing we know, we'll have to golf at trees again (though there's one on 5 that has a deep hole in it that's perfect, what's more, I've already aced it )
are these just bored kids, or is there someone out there that really doesn't like us playing in the park?

Nick

Mike Harley
Driver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 4:06 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

Thanks to who ever installed another basket top and chains on #14. I saw this today and thought all the recent vandalism was cleaned up.

Unfortunately this wasn't to be true.

I played the back 8 and noticed that the most of the signs are gone. I thought that they had been removed for the winter but then noticed that the sign on #9 (I think) was still there.

hags
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 4:17 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

I think they just forgot about that one Mike, because it's tucked down in by the trees.
Peter McK
Putter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 2:38 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

The sign for #9 is still up because I didn't have a hacksaw with me last week when I took down signs. The combination of overly long bolts, locking nuts, and an enthusiastic tightener make this sign particularly difficult to remove.

Next year, we plan to install shorter bolts with locking collars (or double nuts). We will put a long bolt on each post below the sign as a hanger for golf bags.

The club bought enough chain to replace the ones that were stolen, but it is unlikely that these will be up anytime soon. John Mann, the St Thomas manufacturer, loaned us six tops; the chains need to be removed from these and mounted on our tops, then re-installed. The top you see on #14 is John's latest version; the new model basket features the same yellow powder coating.

chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 10:42 am    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

I have said chains in my possession. I took off one set (40 minutes!) and will hopefully be doing the rest soon...It is no easy task. Fortunately, I am professionally challenged. So I got time.
Peter McK
Putter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 4:19 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

Sounds like a party waiting to happen. Chain gang bang. Bring your own vice grips.

I've got some tops in need of chain.

Aggy
Tree Pruner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 5:04 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

if you gentlemen need an extra set of hands to work on baskets, I'm available

Nick

redline
Spin Doctor

Location: My canoe has run out of pancakes and the skidoo needs more woodchips.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 9:48 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

I found the post for #3 ripped out of the ground today (Sunday). We found it in the river and dragged it back to its home for something to putt at. The concrete footing is still attached, but it is currently "moveable" (much like #6 was earlier this year). Even though it is only a post, it might be a good idea if someone gave it a home for the winter before it disappears for good...
-Paul
chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:07 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

Has this been taken care of Peter? I've got time to go get it, all i need is vehicular transportation. chowder 797 1177
chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2001 6:50 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals Series II Reply with quote

It's been taken care of. Bass' got it in the trunk of his honda.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: