Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 11:09 am    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

I take great pleasure in noting an increased groundswell of enthusiasm for disc golf at the start of this 2001 season.

To resume an initiative that never got underway before, I'd like to propose a Match Play series to run this year, which can begin once all 18 holes are installed.

Match Play is a golf format where two players compete against each other, attempting to win holes. Low score on a hole wins the hole, ties are a push. The objective then, is to force your opponent to run out of holes so that it is not possible to catch up. (ie; if you're 3 holes ahead with 2 to play, you've won...) The dynamics of Match Play are different from stroke play, since a disaster somewhere along the way only impacts that particular hole. Also for example, if your opponent parks his drive, there is no penalty for trying to can a 30 m throw, since if you miss you've lost the hole anyway....

It might be too ambitious, but I'd like to see if we can get 16 players to commit to this. This then sets the stage for a 4-match series. If you win, you remain in upper brackets. Win or lose, all 16 players will play 4 rounds, to produce a full ranking table.

By way of proposing this Match Series, I am glad to coordinate it as well. I envision trying to get all 16 players out together for the first round, where pairings and brackets will be determined by random draw. I'd also like to put some money on these matches, proposing perhaps a fee of $25 ($5 per match, and $5 for a Series ace pool, which if not claimed will go to ODGC...)

After the results of the first round are in, (and match-ups determined for the 2nd round), the second and subsequent rounds can be played at the players' convenience, with the idea to play the round within one week's time and report the results to me.

Please contact me if you would be interested in participating. I'll be out at the hole planning walkabout April 29 and will be playing in the Tags event on May 5, so you can catch up with me then to sign up. I will take entries on a first come, first served basis.

I'm hoping that this Match Play Series can be run successfully this year.

Ken Darcovich
993-6848 w / 730-2464 h

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2001 10:22 pm    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Latest update:

11 of the 16 available spots are now taken.
If you wish to enter this event, please contact me soon.

Some club members assembled this afternoon to plan the 6 new holes to bring the course up to a total of 18. Peter (our president) stated that work on installing all the new baskets and tees should be finished a couple weeks from now. Conceivably, this means that the Match Play Series could be underway by about the Victoria Day long weekend. Will keep all participants posted.

There were some questions about the fees involved. The fees are intended just for payout. If you finish 1st, you get your $20
stake back, plus $20 more as a prize. If you finish last, you lose your $20 stake. It's a linear scale for all ranks inbetween.

Other concerns about committing had to do with being available time-wise. Since I realize that a lot of people have busy schedules, a feature of this series is that it will be possible to draw the pairings in advance and let people know who their opponent will be. Then all you have to do is get in contact with your opponent and agree to a time to play your match within one week's time. It can be at any time during the week. Hopefully this extra flexability will enable most interested players to participate.

Naked Flamingo
Driver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2001 9:38 pm    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Ken,
Is it too early to start the smack talk?

Anyways, to help out, I won't bother sending in my $25 and you can send the hole-in-one money plus the $20 in prizes to me when it is all collected. Alternatively you can just get people to send me their registration money directly.

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2001 10:34 am    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Aside from moving this topic back to the top of the page, I wanted to let people who have yet to decide if they want to participate, that as of today, 13 of the 16 available spots are taken.

For what it's worth, here's the sign-up list to this point:

Ken Lange Carl Visser
Claus R. Peter McKinnon
Steve Seabrook Don Lane
Paul Holland Steve Penny
Andy Morrisey Gavin Thompson
Tom O'Brien Ken Darcovich
Simon Kaegi

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2001 11:07 am    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

news flash:

Rob Wormald and Mike Hall-Jones have just come on board, so we're now at 15 sign-ups.
One spot left.

Thanks for all the support.

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2001 4:13 pm    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Today's update No. 3:

We have filled all 16 spots and beyond.

Numbers 17 and up will be the first alternates.

This opens a further option that if for whatever crazy reason, the list grows to 32, we simply make it a 5 round event...

Keep `em comin'

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 10:11 am    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Thanks for your patience!

the Match Play Series begins tomorrow (Thursday) evening. I want to remind everyone involved to plan to arrive by 6 pm,
we'll meet by the 1st tee, so please use the lower parking lot. Reminder as well to have your $25 fee, preferably in the exact amount.

At the moment, there are 5 guys who can't make it (Paul, Tom, Claus, Gavin and Carl).
If this is correct, we could use a volunteer to join the absentee pool, if someone else won't be able to make it, please advise me asap. Otherwise there will be an odd man out when we draw our games. I will have a contingency king can available for someone ending up with this sorry lot.

Also, I am proposing that people pencil in some time for a pub session after the matches. DGHQ will be Aux Quatre Jeudis, 79 Laval St. in Hull. Stay on Laurier (the street that you enter the lower parking lot from...) and head back west. You pass the first bridge, the museum, the Portage Bridge
then take the first right up the hill. You will then cross a wide 4-way stop intersection and make a slight jog to continue along Laval. Another block or so, the bar is on the right, a nice patio if the weather cooperates. Excellent draft selection whatever the weather. Good luck to all.

chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 9:55 am    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Darc,
Since there is an extra person, I may have to bow out tonight because Curse is playing Mystery Meat tonight and I feel that I should be there. If this is a problem let me know, and I'll deal with it. thx
andy
chowder@hotmail.com
Big Joe Mufferaw
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 1:35 pm    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Hey Chowdah,

Wouldn't you be throwing away your chance for a King Can if you did that? Don't they kick people out of Sanchez for even spilling a beer?

Besides, all ulty games are *OFF* for today, but DG is still on... at least for the adventurous, unless we hear otherwise from K'Darco.

[This message has been edited by Big Joe Mufferaw (edited May 24, 2001).]

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 2:02 pm    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

The disc golf scheduled for tonight is still ON! Rain or shine, only an electrical storm would be grounds for cancellation.

Yes they've cancelled Ulty, but that's not us... Be there!

chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 2:12 pm    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

I posted before the city wide ban on Thursday Ulty!!!!

I couldn't be happier. I'm quite tired (physically) from ultimate. But I'm fired up to take your money boyzzzzz!!!

Rock and Roll.
See y'all out there.
Chowderific.

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 2:50 pm    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Andy IN, Peter OUT.

This works out well, there will be 10 present so that everyone gets a match and we'll draw the absentee matches. Game on!

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 11:43 pm    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Hello.

5 of the 8 first round matches were played this evening.
Pairings for the remaining 3 matches were also drawn.
Below are the details:

a1: Morrisey def. Hall-Jones 2 Up
a2: Penny def. Lange 2 Up
a3: Reitlingshoefer vs. O'Brien (to be played)
a4: Wormald def. Darcovich 2 Up
a5: Meldrum def. Seabrook 1 Up
a6: Visser vs. McKinnon (to be played)
a7: Holland vs. Thompson (to be played)
a8: Kaegi def. Lane 7 & 5

Those of you who have yet to play your 1st round match,
please arrange with your opponent to do so as soon as
possible. Please report your match scores to me when done.
All participants and their e-mails are listed at: http://www.geocities.com/ottawadiscgolf/matchplay.html
also on that webpage, you can find a link to the Series
bracket chart in .pdf format: http://www.geocities.com/ottawadiscgolf/matchplaybrackets.pdf

This sets the stage for the second round:

A Bracket
w1: Morrisey vs. Penny
w2: Wormald vs. winner Reitlingshoefer/O'Brien
w3: Meldrum vs. winner Visser/McKinnon
w4: Kaegi vs. winner Holland/Thompson

B Bracket

b1: Hall-Jones vs. Lange
b2: Darcovich vs. loser Reitlingshoefer/O'Brien
b3: Seabrook vs. loser Visser/McKinnon
b4: Lane vs. loser Holland/Thompson

Ken Darcovich (Match Play Series Coordinator)

Tel: (613) 730-2464 (h)
Tel: (613) 993-6848 (w)
E: kdarc@sg1.chem.nrc.ca

chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 9:38 am    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Thanks for organizing Ken.
Me and MHJ had a fantastic time last night. One of the most exciting games we'd ever played. Nice work.
Game on.
chowder
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 10:13 am    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

I too had a thrilling ride with Mr. Wormald. Overall he was a bit sharper on the evening, so I must now enjoy the view from the B-bracket. Good luck to Rob.

I was quite pleased with the format and all the feedback seemed positive.

Mike Hall Jones
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 8:36 am    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

I agree with Chowder, excellent match. I believe only 3 of 18 holes were pushes.

Overall I think match play will improve my game. I had to try shots that I would not have attempted in stroke play. It was fun to go birdie hunting without having to worry about double bogeys and the like.

Seabrook
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 11:31 am    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Kudos to Drako for putting together a new and refreshing spin on our favourite game.

Looking forward to the my next match-up...whenever Visser and McKinnon get around to playing it!!!

Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 10:24 am    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

How about the last of you first rounders? Are the second round matchups all set now?

Looking forward to my upcoming cage match with Bones...

Cheers!

Ken

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 10:48 am    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

As far as I know, here is the present scoop.

Claus and Tom are playing next Tuesday. (June 5)

Peter and Carl are playing next Thursday. (June 7)

Paul Holland gets home from a business trip
tomorrow, at which point Gavin will no doubt pounce on the troublemaker and shake a date out of him.

Ken L, if you are itching to go, there's no official rule stopping you two. Play your 2nd round match whenever you want and then sit back and wait like the rest of us for the next green light.

Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 10:51 am    Post subject: 2001 ODGC Match Play Series Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Ken... and I know that MHJ and I can go ahead... but as it is, we can't really mesh our schedules until next weekend. Besides, it's more fun to savour the heckling before moving on to the next round...

Cheers!

Ken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: