Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> Basket update.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 3:44 pm    Post subject: Basket update. Reply with quote

Gentlemen,
I am happy to announce that the basket part of hole number 3 has been located by our dear friends, Seabass and Wheelio..... They found it in the water and will be going in tomorrow with masks to see if they can find the rest of it.

Furthermore, they installed the new one from OCUA so the course is complete again. On behalf of all of us, thanks boys.

One a personal note, I would like to question the mindset of the idiot or idiots who took the time to dismantle the basket with tools, then throw it into the water. Some degree of thought or planning must have gone into it (maybe I'm assuming too much....)

What kind of stupid person would do that. Some people amaze me.

andy

[This message has been edited by chowder (edited July 25, 2001).]

Shaggy
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 3:57 pm    Post subject: Basket update. Reply with quote

That's the best news I've heard all day!

Nuthin beats Roc
Mike Harley
Driver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 4:06 pm    Post subject: Basket update. Reply with quote

<ot>

The older I get the less amazed I am at stupid people and stupid actions. I think this is a defense mechanism.

If you think the lack of common sense is par for the course you don't get annoyed in the normal course of actions.

If someone actually does something reasonable, it's a bonus and cause for celebration.

</ot>

chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 7:42 am    Post subject: Basket update. Reply with quote

Michael,
you are wise beyond your years....
Mike Harley
Driver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 8:46 am    Post subject: Basket update. Reply with quote

No. I'm just old.
johnyk
Taco Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:15 am    Post subject: Basket update. Reply with quote

I was looking at Hole number 4 last night and I was thinking that it would be a good iead for the basket down in Perv Central (2 and 3) be locked like number 4. I have a feeling that this will happen again in the near future if it is not Locked down. You simply need a wrench to remove these things unless they are pad-locked into the cement.
chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:30 am    Post subject: Basket update. Reply with quote

Johnyk... first off, I have your Comet and will be giving it to Hags soon (hopefully at practice tonight...)

second, some of the baskets come with those locks and some don't... the one that was stolen was one without.... we currently are scheeming as to how we could lock these particular baskets down.... any ideas are welcome.

andy

Mike Harley
Driver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:36 am    Post subject: Basket update. Reply with quote

Can we weld something to the metal in the concrete base and also to the pole to allow us to lock them together? (I can't remember how it looks).

I have access to a welding torch if need be.

johnyk
Taco Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 12:34 pm    Post subject: Basket update. Reply with quote

What about after installing the basket.... if it is not to move ever, wreck the bolt so the nut will not come off it. Perhaps with a hammer or you might be able to get some type of security screw for it.

I also noticed that Hole 11 the basket was loose but we tightened as much as we could without proper equipment.

Peter McK
Putter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 8:41 am    Post subject: Basket update. Reply with quote

Just back from ten days in the east to learn about the saga of basket #3. It's always disappointing to be the target of vandals. Perhaps we should have expected this, given that the sign for #3 disappeared two years ago, and that last year, someone attacked the same basket but didn't manage to wrestle it out of the ground.

The Discatcher baskets (yellow band) do have locking collars; unfortunately they are also quite expensive ($500 landed versus $300 landed for the others) given that they are made in the States. They also have a different sleeve (the pole that's mounted into concrete) with a tab for a lock.

Obviously, we need to do something, as this particular corner of the park attracts both the happy set and those of the fishing persuasion. Perhaps the latter got a little upset when he felt something on his rod? Something nibbling on his worm? I'll stop now with the double-entendres.

I plan on playing a round this afternoon and will have a look at basket #3. Unfortunately, I'm heading out of town tomorrow for five or six days, and will be unable to do much about it anytime soon. If someone wants to tackle the project, please contact me at p-mckinnon@home.com, and I'll try to co-ordinate. Welding a tab onto the sleeve that's in the ground would be great, but that would mean dragging the welding gear down to the water. Failing that, it might be best to put a more robust locking nut on it.

OG
Tree Pruner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 12:39 pm    Post subject: Basket update. Reply with quote

I believe I found the pole for the previously vandalized #3. It was about 20 feet offshore, about 50 feet along the pathway past the basket. It's now sitting against the trunk of the big tree, left of the mowed fairway on #3 (if your drive fades left, this is the tree that you have to deal with).

On a totally separate topic ... if anybody finds a yellow Stratus, ODGC version, in the water or by the trees let me know. My name was on it once, with red, dry-erase marker so now it's just a smudge.

hags
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 12:48 pm    Post subject: Basket update. Reply with quote

OG, Didn't realize you were back from NB. Nice day for a swim though...although I don't think the Ottawa river would be my first choice of locations...

But if anyone else happens to be in the water, I lost my hawk (white) a while back...

[This message has been edited by hags (edited August 09, 2001).]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: