Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> Equipment @ JC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NICK
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 9:53 am    Post subject: Equipment @ JC Reply with quote

I have begun to "double nut" all of the DG signs at JC so we can avoid anymore being easily removed. I think we should standardize the hardware on the signs and the baskets so that they are all 3/8 ST carriage bolts.

This will mean drilling out the holes on the baskets and chain supports and retro fitting the larger bolts. These should be "double nutted" as well. I can take care of this if you give me the OK. Does this sound reasonable fellow members?

Seabrook
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 8:12 am    Post subject: Equipment @ JC Reply with quote

About half the baskets have one-way nuts fastened at the basket and chains. These nuts can't be removed without a serious effort and some power tools. I'd suggest we get these bolts fastened to the rest of the poleholes.

There is also a special attachment which will allow us to padlock the baskets at the base. These allow for easy removal but stops theft by using a wrench.

[This message has been edited by Seabrook (edited July 30, 2001).]

NICK
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 7:14 am    Post subject: Equipment @ JC Reply with quote

Steve,
What is a one way nut? I am not familiar with this device. Does the lack of any response from other DG members mean that I should not bother with this?
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 9:39 am    Post subject: Equipment @ JC Reply with quote

Go for it Nick. You've got a good idea, so run with it. Kudos!
chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:32 am    Post subject: Equipment @ JC Reply with quote

Agreed, great idea Nick, we'd greatly appreciate it. thanks Andy
Dog Face Boy
Putter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:49 am    Post subject: Equipment @ JC Reply with quote

I too agree - when shall it be done? We'll round up the support crew.
DFB
Peter McK
Putter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 8:23 pm    Post subject: Equipment @ JC Reply with quote

Nick et al., I commend your initiative. Kudos to Steve for offering up the OCUA basket, and for whoever was in the installation crew.

Nick, doubling up the nuts, or putting on a locking nut would certainly reduce the risk of vandalism. I'd be reluctant to support the idea of re-drilling all our baskets though, because of the work involved and because I think it'd be a bit of overkill. I don't think a larger nut would dissuade someone bent on destruction.

Unless we always kept a nut nearby who was larger than the nut bent on said destruction.

As for the half-nut Steve was referring to, it is actually a bolt with an unusual head that is found on the seven Discatcher (yellow band) baskets. The bolt is not square - it is missing one (or is it two?) of the sides, thus making it easy to tighten, but quite difficult to loosen. Sounds wierd, but consider that the inventors were disc golfer types bent on originality. Call it the scoober of bolts.

That said, I was pleased to be able to play a full round today. I noticed a few things missing, such as a basket bolt on #11, and my putting ability. While I managed to birdie 11, I finished at +1.

Should anyone wish to purchase and install hardware, keep in mind that we do have money for these incidentals, so receipt me for a refund. I've often thought of getting new numbers for the ones that need them (18, 17, 12 and a few others), but never seem to get around to it. If you're keen, go for it. But post first to avoid wasted effort.

Cheers.

So where is the old #3, and what shape is it in?

Cheers.

Seabrook
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 9:19 pm    Post subject: Equipment @ JC Reply with quote

I have the basket for #3 however we never found the pole or chain rack. As for repairing #11, I'll head over with some extra bolts and fix it tomorrow.

Steve

chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 9:01 am    Post subject: Equipment @ JC Reply with quote

Hey Bass,
I've got tomorrow off, I'll head over with you and do some swimming....

Second thought, apparently, there is a large dead (and smelly carp) on the shore near #3. Twirly suggested to me this morning that we should pick it up, and throw it into the bushes off #3 for the
'boys' to enjoy.... a little repayment for obstructing our birdy bids on #3.

Stick it to 'em.

chowder
ps. will also be available for more constructive course business tomorrow as well!!!

NICK
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 1:38 pm    Post subject: Equipment @ JC Reply with quote

Slow down big fellas! I suggested that we increase the size of the bolts in the baskets not to make them harder to undo but to standardize our hardware. Makes it easier to fix/change things in the future. Ask Henry Ford if you want more details. Anyway I bought thirty bolts and 100 washers and nuts. The work involved Peter, is just drilling out a 1/4" hole to a 3/8" hole, I should be able to do a basket on a charge with my cordless.
As for the wierd nuts; I will not touch them, I don't understand things designed by discers!
NICK
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 8:07 am    Post subject: Equipment @ JC Reply with quote

OK yesterday I went out and fastened to two chain racks on 17 and 18. I drilled new holes and then filed one side square to take a standard carriage bolt. It worked like a charm. So the course standard hardware should be 3/8 X 3" carriage bolts. Agreed?

I replaced a couple of the 1/4" bolts on the signs and double nutted them. Steve the funny thing you were talking about is just a "one-way" bolt. We can add them to all the baskets and chain racks with a cordless drill and a tap. They can be removed with a pair of vise grips.

Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:01 am    Post subject: Equipment @ JC Reply with quote

Hey All,

I was out for an early round this morning before the mercury climbed above 30 degrees and I found that the basket at number 6 was doing a fine impression of The Leaning Tower of Pisa. I tried to move it and found that it is VERY loose in the ground. It didn't prevent me from par but it may be a concern later.

Andrew

------------------
Master of funk and...EVIL!

[This message has been edited by Brother Andre (edited August 08, 2001).]

johnyk
Taco Chef

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:23 am    Post subject: Equipment @ JC Reply with quote

Some people...... and some people's Children....... Holy CRAP!
Peter McK
Putter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 3:24 pm    Post subject: Equipment @ JC Reply with quote

What is the nature of the problem with basket #6? Last year we had to re-pour concrete after the Millenium Future Trek trekked over the old sleeve with a tractor. Is the concrete broken up? Perhaps we'll need to augur a new hole and pour again.
Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 4:03 pm    Post subject: Equipment @ JC Reply with quote

Hey,

I don't know the exact cause of the problem on #6 but the base feels very loose like the foundation is broken or the ground around it is loose.

If anyone wants to try to fix, I'll help, too.

Andrew

------------------
Master of funk and...EVIL!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: