Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> tin medal in San Antonio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2001 10:39 am    Post subject: tin medal in San Antonio Reply with quote

Hi.

Here to report that I was able to get out twice for disc golf during our holiday visit to San Antonio, Texas, where kind of like us, they have one (22 hole) disc golf course. I played the course on the Friday (Dec 22) in preparation for the Saturday Club Christmas Tournament, a "pro-am" doubles best disc.

They weren't sure how to place me, so I reported that I shot an even par in my practice round. I got put down as a pro. There were 18 players out, so the TD shuffled cards, Ace through 9, one set for the pros, one for the ams. Wouldn't you know it, but my 4 of clubs matched me with the GUY WITH THE BROKEN HAND. Jeff was a nice guy, knew the sport well, but had a big cast on his right (throwing) hand, that he'd cut away in order to be able to (kind of) grip a disc.

Weather was so-so, around 10C and a steady light drizzle the whole time. They played a 25 hole layout, making up three extra tee placements to 3 repeat baskets. We did the best we could under the circumstances, ending up with a total of 74, at 1-under. Our card had 4 birdies and 3 bogies. This got us fourth place out of nine teams, one shot out the medals, behind a 73, 70 and a 12-under 63 by a team that drew a lot of groans and dispair tinged whining when the top pro and apparent top am drew the same cards. The course is much shorter and much tighter than JC. We used Jeff's drives twice, when I threw missiles into up-close trees from the tee pad. Jeff's putts and approaches given the hand in cast, were very decent.

Did manage to represent for ODGC by winning the long drive prize on the very last hole with a good half of the players already finished their rounds, Lone Star in hand, gathered under a hilltop gazebo watching and heckling the incoming discs. Used the 360 release, and threw an XL, got all of it on a great line and sailed by the until-then longest by a good 5 m. The crowd was appreciative briefly, but then got on me for my putt, which I managed to can from about 10 m to get to 1-under. I won a 175 gm Innova "JLS" with a map of Texas on it. Not familiar with this model, but by first impression, it seems similar to the Discraft Xtra.

TOEJAM
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2001 2:51 pm    Post subject: tin medal in San Antonio Reply with quote

Ken, why you have so much fun?
Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2001 11:41 am    Post subject: tin medal in San Antonio Reply with quote

Great little recap, Ken! Glad to hear that you were able to get out a bit, and represent the ODGC so well! I should have taken my discs to Calgary - it was 12C the day before I left! Not much snow, either. Would have been great for a round... Oh well.

Cheers!

Ken

chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2001 4:00 pm    Post subject: tin medal in San Antonio Reply with quote

Well done Darcovich.
Great job, puttin it up for the ODGC.
Love the JLS.
Congrats
Chowder (Andy Sanchez)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: