Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> When do we pull 'em out? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter McK
Putter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 7:33 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

Sorry to say that the season is quickly drawing to a close. I haven't picked a date yet, but I'm guessing it's not more than a couple weeks away. I really don't want to slog around pulling out pole holes in the snow. What do you think-pull 'em out the 24th/25th of November?

On a more personal note, it cost me five bucks to shoot my p.b. on Sunday. Played par, (1 bird, 1 bogey, 10 pars) but unfortunately for me, it was in a skins format with Ken, Claus and Don (talk about a tough crowd). Didn't win a skin, although I did manage to force Ken into a third playoff hole before bowing out.
It's all a bit confusing, feeling prouder but poorer like...(fill in your favorite analogy)

Peter

------------------

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 9:21 am    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

Well, just making this public since I obviously was able to speak to Peter on Sunday. Hoping to drum up support for my take on the subject...

My wish is to play it by ear, keeping tabs on
the weather and if there is indeed some kind of obligation to remove the baskets, do so when the weather turns positively wintry. I can recall playing early December disc golf in past years. I'm happy to play in just about any weather, so I'd be willing to be part of an on-call last-minute basket removal crew.

We could play a ceremonial last round. Play the hole, then remove the basket.

chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 3:22 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

I'm with Darcovich.
lets play it by ear.
All of us new schoolers will be there to help you take those baskets out Peter.
i like the idea of the last round as well....

chowder

(Peter, if its any consolation there was a skins game on saturday as well and Twirly took us for about 40 dollars, lucky bastard.)

[This message has been edited by chowder (edited November 14, 2000).]

Peter McK
Putter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 4:07 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

I'll check with the NCC to see just how long we can keep 'em in. In the meantime, play on.

I'm still hoping for an analogy about feeling good, but poorer, as I did after the five dollar p.b. I'm not complaining-it's cheaper than buying a new disc or throwing one into the river.

How about "I felt like a sixteen year old who just lost his virginity along with a week's wages to a hooker."
-or-
"I felt like the guy who, after clocking his fastest quarter-mile ever, looks in the rear view to see the cops closing on him."

Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 4:43 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

Feeling prouder but poorer like a booky who's son wins against 4 to 1 odds.

or

a CEO who quits his job to become the Hawain tropic bikini team's oil boy.

Will Ferrell

Shaggy
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 4:48 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

Twirly took who for 40 bones? Anyway leave'em in for as long as we can I say. Chowder is correct we will all help you take them out Peter. It will be one last trash talking blowout for the season.

Oh ya, you feel like Seabass after a night of hot passionate love, only to wake up to see it was Jean guy snow pants from JCP!

Sorry Seabass couldn't resist.

Nuthin beats Roc

Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 5:08 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

Let's make taking the baskets/nets out a game as well. Worst drive for each hole has to do the grunt work.

Will Ferrell
Dilborg
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 5:54 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

Great, I'll be so damn tired from pulling baskets out of the ground I wont be able to pull and just get worse and worse . . .

I've never played in the snow. I bet it might make it easier to detect where the disc went (just the first powder).

Give me a shout and I'll volunteer for this as well.

Thank you,

------------------
The truth is out there . .

Peter McK
Putter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 1:59 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

Did you hear that? Those weren't chains rattling in the distance, it was the NCC returning one of my (43) phone calls. With good news. We do NOT have to pull out the pole holes this winter! (pause for applause)

Somebody organize an Ice Bowl event! To the uninitiated, this is a multi-site event held in deep winter to raise money for food banks, and features the slogan "no wimps, no whiners."

Anyway...I think it would be wise to pull out the signs, 'cos they're more likely to get damaged in the winter sleet/freeze-thaw/yech conditions. And we will hopefully have to re-number the signs anyway, when and if the NCC gives us permission to expand to 18.

Prouder but poorer like the guy who finally sleeps with a gorgeous woman he's lusted after for years, only to find out he's caught some disease from her.

Dilborg
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 2:12 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

WOOHOO!!!

We can even have our very own Canadian throw called "Luc's Skim & Swig". Taking the disc in hand as if to throw a regular backhand, you flip the disc upside down. Throw it nice and straight, not to high to allow the disc to skim the top of any fresh powder. Put your mitten back on, take the flask out and PULL ! ! !

(Snowshoes and deep snow disc locator sold seperatly)

Big Joe Mufferaw
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 3:04 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

Good work with the persistence Peter, 43 calls to one return. Gee, the NCC is a pretty efficient place.

Backhand? Hey Luc, since when do you throw anything on the course except forehand?

Mittens are for wussies.

Prouder but poorer like the ice sculptor who has just finished his masterpiece only to realize that he made it downwind from the Eternal Flame and that it would look like crap the next day.

Dilborg
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 3:49 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

I simply prefer forehand.

The disc tends to go straighter and if it curves its usually just slightly to the right. This comes in handy for obstacles such as trees because I can always switch to backhand if I want the disc to go left.

But I dont think I could throw an-upside down disc on forehand, no ridge!

Thanks Peter, maybe we can play that final round to pull out the signs.

This weekend too early? Saturday?
What about next Saturday?

SeaBass
Putter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2000 3:50 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

Just a quick hello I'm back and well tanned. To catch up on the past week

Shaggy...got to get those slags in while I'm out of the country...slag like a man upfront and personal!

Peter...congrads on the permanent course...aces for you!

BMJ...what's wrong with mittens, I've even got a pair with the string through the arms! (okay I'm waiting for the lost disc slags...)

Shaggy
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2000 5:36 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

Maybe you should tie a string to your disc Seabass. That way when you throw them in the river you could just pull them out(or pretend your fishing).

Nuthin beats Roc
Big Joe Mufferaw
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 9:52 am    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

Hey tanned man, you should put your mighty mitten string through the disc and invent TOW guided discs. Then maybe you'll get that elusive ace... or at least keep your discs out of your favorite love grotto.
chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 1:34 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

hey bass
good to have you back.
fun in the sun??

the dream is over, the kid has a job.
i'm getting paid to post now. sweet.
bring on the padding.

As for the above comments...

Dilborg,"Luc's Skim and Swig"
Two words. Swill and Mouliack.

Bass, don't let'em make fun of your mittens or your string. to hell with Shaggy.

Seek the chains.
Chowds

LittleWheels
Putter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 2:31 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

Well, that Chowder fella has so much more wit once you dust him off and drag him out of the basement.

LW

SeaBass
Putter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 2:48 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

Holy crap this is Book of Revelations shit!!! Beginning of the apocalypse, fifth horsemen and raising Liberace from the dead!

Who hired ya Chowd? I guess being a frequent customer at Barbras finally paid off. Are they letting you work the BBQ?

Dilborg
Driver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 2:57 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

Mouliack???

LittleWheels
Putter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 3:15 pm    Post subject: When do we pull 'em out? Reply with quote

Yes, Mouliack!

Not my first choice of descriptors, but fitting nonetheless.

Although you won't find it in any dictionary you'll have to trust me that it's fitting.

LW.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: