Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League -> Ottawa Ice Bowl XVII - February 10, 2018 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StephC
Tonal Pole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Ottawa Ice Bowl XVII - February 10, 2018 Reply with quote

17th Annual Ice Bowl

2018 ICE BOWL DETAILS

Where: Larrimac Golf Course
Address:1148 Route 105, Chelsea, QC
When: Saturday, February 10, 2018
Why: On behalf of the Ottawa Food Bank
Who: Everyone at all skill levels is welcome to join!

The 17th annual Ottawa Ice Bowl disc golf tournament will be held at Larrimac Golf Course on Saturday, February 10, 2018. Save the date!

As in previous years, this event is a charitable fundraiser for the Ottawa Food Bank. Last year, we were able to make a donation of $2,480 thanks to the combined totals of Ice League and the Ice Bowl.

The format of the tournament will consist of 2 rounds of the Larrimac layout with a break for a potluck lunch in between.

Come play in the snow with us!

Schedule:

8:30am - Course Setup
9:00am - Registration Begins
9:45am - Players Meeting
10:00am - Round 1
12:00pm - Potluck Lunch
1:00pm - Round 2
After Round 2 - Awards and Prizes

Cost:

$30 for ODGC members, $35 for non-members.
Cash payment encouraged. You can pay onsite the day of the tournament, or see Steph Clavel at Ice League. If you need to make alternate payment arrangements, talk to Steph.

2018 ODGC Memberships will be available for purchase/renewal onsite.
For memberships, you can send your payment via e-transfer to odgctransactions@gmail.com.

Donations:

Players are asked to bring a cash donation* in support of the Ottawa Food Bank.
The Ottawa Food Bank is able to turn $1 into $5 of food, so cash donations are the most effective way to help out.
http://www.ottawafoodbank.ca/how-we-help/

*Food donations, while appreciated, are no longer necessary as we have transitioned to cash only donations.

Other Ways to Donate:

Sponsor a Hole

Provide a donation of $20 to sponsor one of the holes on the course. You will have a custom tee sign and feel great for donating to such a worthy cause. First come, first serve!

Closest to the Pin Donations

If you would like to donate a disc or disc golf paraphernalia for Closest to the Pin prizes, let Steph know!

Potluck Lunch:

In the spirit of donations, lunch this year will be potluck format. We will have access to plugs for crockpots, but check with Steph for availability. We will need a variety of snacks/appetizers, main dishes, and desserts. A list of items will be maintained on this post as well as the Facebook post. Let us know if you have any allergies!

The bar will be open at Larrimac, so bring some cash to help support our hosts! Only alcohol purchased on site will be permitted.

Please bring another pair of shoes to wear indoors so we can keep the club house dry/clean.

Mulligans:

All attending players will receive 6 mulligans that can be used at any time during the 2 rounds* of Ice Bowl (*this includes any playoffs that may occur).

Tournament Directors:
Steph Clavel - Ice Bowl Registrations, Potluck Planning, Web Presence TD
Ben Svetkoff - Tournament Play TD
Geoff Penton and Andrew Vall�e - Players Meeting TDs, ODGC Memberships, Awards Ceremony

How to Register:

Reply to the post on this page or on the Ottawa Disc Golf Club Facebook Page, reply to the twitter feed under Ottawa Disc Golf Club, or contact Steph Clavel directly at stephclavel@hotmail.com.

Provide the following information:
1. Name, division of play
2. Potluck item
3. Allergies to food, if any
4. Hole you would like to sponsor, if any
5. CTP prize donation, if any

First 20 players registered will receive a Daredevil Disc!!

Ping Pong!

The club house is set up with ping pong tables. If you have spare equipment, bring it with you... and challenge Don to a match!

Registration List

Sub-Zero (Open)

1. Andrew Vall�e
2. Geoff Penton
3. Chris Beaudoin
4. Mario Houle
5. Chris Bourne
6. OMR
7. Rico
8. Kyle Fisher
9. Gavin S
10. Andrew Kauffmann
11. Mike Adams

Warm Blooded (Master)

1. Don Lane
2. Paul Bourgeois
3. Mike McCormick
4. Rick Goguen

Above Freezing (Amateur)

1. Ben Svetkoff
2. Rob Hale
3. Chris Landry
4. Justin C
5. Kevin Loukes
6. Matt Huhta
7. Alan Shaw

Ice Queens (Women)

1. Steph Clavel
2. Brenda Cox
3. Steph Laraby
4. Stacy S

BOLD = $PAID$

Potluck List

Appetizers and Snacks

1. Chris Beaudoin - Slow Cooker Spinach and Artichoke Dip
2. Don - Nuts & Bolts
3. Kevin L - Munchies
4. Steph C - Veggies and Dip
5. Chris Bourne - Chips and Salsa
6. OMR - Prosciutto wrapped chicken roulade w goat cheese & roasted red peppers.

Main Dishes

1. Brenda - Meatballs
2. Don - Mulligandonsky Soup
3. Steph L and Chris L - Ceasar Salad
4. Penton, Ben, Dros - Pulled Pork Sandwiches
5. Matt H - Pasta Salad
6. Mike A - Quinoa Salad (or something like that)

Desserts

1. Brenda - surprise!
2. Rico - fruit and something yummy
3. Alan Shaw - another surprise!
4. Rick - dessert tray and hot chocolate

Hole Sponsorship - FULL

1. Ottawa Disc Golf Club
2. Lone Pine Disc Golf
3. bbp
4. Jaycee Pea
5. Daredevil Discs
6. Chris Beaudoin
7. Disco Rico
8. Andrew V
9. Brenda & Chris (Baby)
10. Steph C
11. Rick Goguen
12. Mike McCormick

For those registering for hole sponsorship, you will have the opportunity to request a specific hole once we've figured out the layout at league next week.

[Edited by Steve Rydell on 25 Oct 2018 21:10]

Last edited by StephC on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:37 pm; edited 24 times in total
StephC
Tonal Pole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First 20 players registered will receive a Daredevil Disc!!

Last edited by StephC on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
StephC
Tonal Pole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice League on Saturday will be held at Larrimac Golf Course!
Play a preview of the Ice Bowl XVII course!!
Registration 11:30
Tee-Off 12:00
$15 gets you registered and 6 mullies
1148 Quebec Route 105, Chelsea, QC J9B 1P4
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Course is set.

We played it at the last IL of 2017/18.

12 holes, geared towards winter play.

Hole 1 is a little downhill throw. Had several players question the distance of this hole. Then I saw them throw it, and we are good with the distance.

Hole 2 is the first PAR 4 on the course. A lovely elevated tee and a dreamy pin placement on the other side of the road. Road will be IB. The gully is wonderful and the woods on the sides coming into the green are perfect.

Hole 3 is an Winter American PAR 3. It's a big toss, and it's uphill. Makes for the need of a big pull. Saw some fantastic 2s. Killer plateau green.

Hole 4 is from the original Larrimac IL course; Hole 1. A big toss, but a very elevated tee helps us all get our discs down to the green. A wonderful HUGE lefty flick it there.

Hole 5 was supposed to be a gap-filler, but it plays well. A nice uphill throw, and nice uphill throws are few. Road is IB.

(All roads are IB. The only time you'll be given an added stroke is if you leave Larrimac. Land on the highway for instance. Think it'll only happen on 1 and maybe 2. Don't think it'll happen, but you have proven me wrong before.)

Hole 6 is an original Larrimac hole. Beautiful treed green. Elevated tee. Saw a couple of discs enter the green area through precarious routes. Fun stuff.

Hole 7 is a tricky uphiller. Protected really well by a HUGE spruce. A couple of putts where made from the base.

Hole 8 is our shot to infinity. No more than 200' away, there is a serious chance of flying off into the abyss and visit the fairway of 9.

Hole 9 is our second PAR 4 of the day. A big pull around the hill is needed. The creek helps mark the way. There's a great cart path toboggan run on this hole.

Hole 10 is the BEST WAY back up the mountain so we are using it. Lovely mound green. Lots of ways to not stick.

Hole 11 will test the skippiness of the day, though Super thinks the BIG HYZER is there. I'm going under the branches.

Hole 12 takes us back the parking lot. Lovely mini-hill green. Roads and parking lot are IB.

12 holes.

Par 38.

6 mullies.

0 partners.
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need ribbons.

I have a theory that the Sunday snow, and then the quick freeze, have fixed the slippery walking conditions that we experienced on Saturday. So footwear is still up in the air. Bring what you got and make a morning decision.

We will make sure all the teepads are in working order; 3 is a good example of a destroyed pad. This might mean a slight alteration to the Tee placement (move forward or to the left).
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting some comments regarding OB, or the lack of it.

"...the road on, i think hole 2, is a great place OB..." "Noooo, the road out of bounds is great on 2..." "...even the parking lot on 12 is not going to be OB?"*

All great concerns and comments. In fact, hole 2 was designed to have the road OB mess with you - lay-up or go for it - and hole 12 has a lovely feature of flying past and getting punished.

But as we saw out there last Saturday, the "OB road" is wonky to define. Where does road start and plow hill end? Does my ribbon count as part of my disc, so it's still IB? I'm just going to run up there and see if I should mullie...I'll be right back.

So instead of making cardmates have to make decisions that might ruin the vibe of ICE BOWL, we are playing Play Where It Lies Disc Golf** on Ice Bowl Saturday.

* no one actually wrote these, or verbally relayed them to me, but I know that's what you're thinking

** Play Where It Lies unless it's on the highway, cause that's silly, stupid and dangerous
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the PWILDG rule. Especially on this layout. thumbsup
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbp wrote:

Hole 9 is our second PAR 4 of the day. A big pull around the hill is needed. The creek helps mark the way. There's a great cart path toboggan run on this hole.

You stand at the top of that escarpment and all you want to do is throw it. And we kind of do.

Hole 9; Sponsored by Brenda and Baby. It's not a throw into the abyss, but the teepad it's just so beautifully framed. The way the hill rounds out in front of you (kinda reminds me of Hole 15 at MB) taking the left side of the Air-way away.

And then the vast emptiness of the right side.

The creek defines the fairway, and in the summer I would totally make it OB-on-and-over-creek.

I saw a disc quickly hyzer out and plant itself on the hill side. I don't think they want to be there. The hill side won't be as slippy, but not a great place for a stance.

I hope there's some wind on Saturday to take up the excitement levels to 11.
StephC
Tonal Pole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of our beautiful holes have been sponsored! Thank you for the support!!
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's Lone Pine Disc Golf? Besides an unattended Facebook page.

I'm going to assume this is a Chris and Steph thing. Would like to know more.
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the snow on the way I just want to re-up this conversation: http://www.odgc.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7946

Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs!

Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs!

Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs! Ribbon your discs!
Hasty
Tonal Pole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbp wrote:
What's Lone Pine Disc Golf? Besides an unattended Facebook page.

I'm going to assume this is a Chris and Steph thing. Would like to know more.

Its the disc golf apparel company that Steph and myself have started. Launching in March. Apparel for on and off the course. I was wearing one of our sweatshirts at ice league. Feel free to ask any questions you have when you see us at Ice Bowl. You can add us on facebook as well if you like.

Last edited by Hasty on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would it take for me to be wearing a sweatshirt at the Ice Bowl?
Hasty
Tonal Pole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbp wrote:
What would it take for me to be wearing a sweatshirt at the Ice Bowl?

Unfortunately we're not quite ready yet. Finalizing designs and waiting for our stock orders to be filled. We should be ready for March, you'll be able to order off the website. We will also be at league and many tournaments this year if you want to take a look at some of our apparel. Also find me during Ice Bowl for a sneak peek at one of our hoodies.
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want no "sneak peak"! I want "before it's in the store"!
disco rico
Falling Colours Champion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody object to me sending my annual ICE BOWL text to TSN 1200 on Friday morning ?

Hope they read it for a 3rd year in a row !
Hasty
Tonal Pole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For membership fees, is it $20 for the year than $20 in dues?
andros

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasty wrote:
For membership fees, is it $20 for the year than $20 in dues?

Yes, just sent you a PM
andros

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disco rico wrote:
Anybody object to me sending my annual ICE BOWL text to TSN 1200 on Friday morning ?

Hope they read it for a 3rd year in a row !

thumbsup
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to set the record straight on membership costs:

the ODGC has two types of membership: Lifetime for $120, or annual for $20

additionally, there are $20 annual dues. For families, annual dues are
capped at $40, so for 3 or more people, there is a benefit.

so, paying your way year by year, would be $40 payments.

If you go the lifetime route, it's $140 the first year, $20 each subsequent year
to maintain active member status.

These proceeds are used essentially to provide disc golf to the Ottawa area, there are maintenance costs for operating Kanata and Camp Fortune. The club also uses its funds to support events and disc golf related activities for the community and/or club members. Also, your ODGC membership also provides you with ODSA membership which provides liability insurance for you for tournaments, and for ODSA series events, is a registration requirement.

Last edited by Ken Darcovich on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: