Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Course Conversations -> Drummondville - Parc des Voltigeurs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Drummondville - Parc des Voltigeurs Reply with quote

So easy to get to. Get on the Trans Canada (417) and get off at exit 181, in Drummondville. Park is right in front of you. Turn into the park entrance. To go home, just drive out of the parking lot, cross the street onto the on ramp.

It took us 2 hours 45 minutes to get home, and we stopped for snacks and washroom break.

I played it during the Classique Double 2015, and I played it with my 9 year old daughter as my partner. We played one round, from the shorts. The shorts are all ace runs. Saying that, I only shot a 44. There are some crazy greens that cost us our par a couple of times. Fun.

We played it with 11 permanent baskets, and 7 temp holes. The permanent course was installed on Friday, but the City ends their day at 3. So at 3 they had 11 baskets in. The rest will go in on Monday.

The area is a multi-plateaued, sloping towards a river, defunct campground, with all these abandoned parking lots, which become amazing OB in competitive rounds. Some pics are available on the Club Disc Golf Drummondville website, and on their Facebook page, but they do not do it justice. It's a park course, with large trees, and natural trouble (tall grass, weeds, wooded areas). The whole park gets mowed, not just fairways. Roll away!

The baskets are yellow band Innova, with two sets of chains. They have two pin placements for some of their more spectacular holes.

The greens are challenging, as are the fairways. There are lots of opportunities to launch frisbees. Launch frisbees really, really far. Very fun par 3s. Very fun par 4s. These guys get disc golf.

The City has given the Club a very generous amount of money to invest into the disc golf course. The Club has been working hard with the City, over the last 2 years, to convince them that disc golf is a good fit for the park. They got a 10 year agreement. So no cement tee pads. Just the beautiful grass, and they do use the abandoned parking lots for some cements throws. Oh, and they have free reign (within reason, of course) on what needs to stay or go in terms of branches, trees and other foliage. Including building up to 6 extra holes in the woods.

The shorts were short. Great for beginners and families. The longs looked awesome. The ones I threw where really fun. They are challenging but very fair park holes. I think a red, blue, yellow format for teepads at this course would put it down as one of the better courses out there to build players from the very beginner up to a competitive open player. Kinda like a up-to-date JCP (keeping up with the bigger discs).

Two Drummondville 12 year olds where on our card who have dads who golf. They'll be kicking our collective a$$e$ in about 5 years. (Guess which disc golf manufacturer is already feeding them discs.)
Fisher
ODGC Secretary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played this on the way to PEI (and on the way home). Really liked this course. All 18 baskets are in the ground and the city staff are busy making improvements. You will need a map to navigate this course as there is no signage (yet). The longs are great and it seems to be well used as I ran into other players during my mid-day weekday rounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Course Conversations All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: