Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> Vancouver / Vancouver Island courses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
briggs
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Vancouver / Vancouver Island courses Reply with quote

I'm headed that way next week for ten days. I've been to Pender Island before and am hoping to check out some other courses out that way.

Anyone got any recommendations?

I'll probably hit Bowen Park in Nanaimo, and something up in Cortenay. Then the one in Vancouver later on.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to play Queen E. (Little Mountain) and the octagon pads. Watch out for the dude that sells "used" discs he fishes from the pond. He'll give you a discount if your name is on it. laughing

It's a fun park course. Nothing to complicated, but it's a fixture of Vancouver DG.
wierdsma
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The course on salt spring is pretty fun. Ive got a few buddies there that could show you around
Alessandro
Trodden Teepad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard VERY good things about the course on Grouse Mountain but I've never played it. It might be worth looking into.
briggs
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wierdsma wrote:
The course on salt spring is pretty fun. Ive got a few buddies there that could show you around

Ya I was hoping to get out there but there is no ferry that goes from schwartz bay to salt spring on the weekends and I don't get in until late friday night.
briggs
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alessandro wrote:
I've heard VERY good things about the course on Grouse Mountain but I've never played it. It might be worth looking into.

Looks sweet for sure. I don't know if I will have a rental car for the time in vancouver, but looks like public transit goes up there. I also don't even know if I will have enough time with work etc., to get out there before dusk.
briggs
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
You have to play Queen E. (Little Mountain) and the octagon pads. Watch out for the dude that sells "used" discs he fishes from the pond. He'll give you a discount if your name is on it. laughing

It's a fun park course. Nothing to complicated, but it's a fixture of Vancouver DG.

This one I'll definitely be able to get in. 20 minutes on the bus from the hotel. Are the tee pads actually shaped like octagons?

Last edited by briggs on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
briggs
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

briggs wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

This one I'll definitely be able to get in. 20 minutes on the bus from the hotel. Are the tee pads actually shaped like octagons?

So it took an extra year but I finally made it to Queen E. Penton is right, this is a must stop if you are out there.

It is only a nine hole course but the variation in terrain on this small piece of land is awesome. It really is a "little mountain".

I played the regular layout, a layout the locals called the "old-back" and a layout the locals called "reverse".

From downtwon it's a solid 30 minute bike ride, which is pretty much entirely uphill. Great warmup. The nice part is at the end of the round it's a nice down hill coast back.

I played with a guy named Rob who said he knew penton and that he had been out here playing a course with you recently (possibly Ettyville?).

There were also a number of people who asked how Peter Lizotte was doing. All in all a great afternoon.
C.T.PETE
Tonal Pole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to here you enjoyed Little Mountain disc golf park AKA Queen-E. The course went in in 1983 and although not the 1st in the area, it served to spawn the sport all around the province. In 2003 I felt I had a chance to approach the city ( parks board) for some upgrades ( new front pads and baskets) . I used the 20th anniversary to help move the project forward. There are over 25 recognized alternate course lay-outs and that's the reason for the large octagonal tee-pads. 9' by 4' in 8 directions. ( front pads ). It was an idea...and it worked out well. The original Mach 3 baskets were sent up to Cranbrook where they were refurbished and installed. QE now has the made in Canada' Dan Walker ' baskets. The upgrade also included a 2nd practice basket...suspiciously placed 250 away ....creating added cool shots to the many lay-out options.
Continual reports are that this course gets 1000+ visits a week in the nice weather months and about 1/2 of that during the winter. One would think that the fairway grass would be quite beaten or brown....no my friends....the secret is goose shit ! Really !!!
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome park. It was the first basket course I had ever seen/played!

Will Ferrell
briggs
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to mention is that this course is located on MIDLOTHIAN AVENUE

Last edited by briggs on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: