Ottawa Disc Golf Club

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. ODGC Forums Forum Index -> ODGC Tournaments and Events -> Plaid 2012 (and 2013) - The Course Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Plaid 2012 (and 2013) - The Course Reply with quote

Welcome to the 2012 (and 2013) Plaid Jacket Course story.

For those new to the idea of our game of disc golf being played on a white ball course, welcome. When you come out to this year's version of The Plaid Jacket, on September 30th, you are in for a treat. Beautifully groomed fairways, exceptional disc golf terrain and a beer cart girl are all a part of the 2012 Plaid experience.

For those who have played the Canadian before, we've listened to your comments about the course and we've responded.

As with all designs that ODGC Course Design Committee members are part of, we have put a lot of time and effort into getting each disc golf hole to work the best for the players in our region. We look at landing zones, obstacles, greens, tee boxes and hole stats to make sure each throw from the pad is one to remember.

The Yellow pads are intended for the best golfers in the Nation's Capital Region who are vying for a Jacket and the Blue tees have been designed to bring the same "hazards" that are in play from the Yellows. Last year's AM Division Champion was under par. thumbsup

We've created this course for you. Enjoy.

Last edited by Jefrey A. Brother on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:40 pm; edited 5 times in total
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We received a lot of praise for the 2011 cart around the Canadian.

Quote:
Lollipops:

That course. Holy crap. Gorgeous. Challenging. Fun. A great mix of shot types.

The pars. Watching the top AM players come in after the first round with scores around par, and the pros coming in around par tells me that the hole designs were perfectly matched to the divisions.

Quote:
Lollipops - The new holes and the removed holes....the layout in general
- Hole 16

Quote:
Great course guys...

Course was Awesome!

Quote:
Lollipops:

That course. the front 1 - 8 and the back 17 and 18. (liked the woods on 17, so short but it could mess you good.)

Quote:
Lollipops:

Seeing the longest-running tournament in Ottawa (next year is 15 years!) gain new traction and carve out new traditions only two years after it lost its home (JCP).

Getting to play a better course (every year) because of player feedback and the fact that constructive criticism and continuous evolution is firmly rooted in our local culture.

Quote:
lollipops

Amazing course and venue. I was not that impressed last year and wasn't keen to go back to canadian. The new design, clarified costs and only 2 rounds made this one of the best tournies of the year.

Really liked the design on 8, 10, 15 and 16....very cool holes

Quote:
Lollipops

I wasn't convinced from last years Plaid that Canadian was the right venue for this venerable tournament. That has changed. Awesome awesome awesome!

The course was a 10 fold improvement on last years. I just wanted to play ONE more round. And then one more... and then...

The blues were plenty of challenge. Great job of providing a very fun, accessible and challenging course for all skills levels.

Quote:

Lollipops: So many. This course and event gets better every year.

And we could've just left it at that, but really, you know us, the course has to be perfect. big grin So we looked at the Lemons for inspiration and we found it!
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
#1 Played too long. Have to keep drive left, then long 2nd shot to peaked green where discs won't stick. Most will get a 4.
I like the green, its just plays too far on 2nd throw.

Still an elevated launch, we've moved the 1's tee pad to the front of the WB pad (2011 it was at the back of the WB pad) shortening the hole from 606' to 560-570'. With well placed drives, players should have a better crack at the crazy green with their second throw.

It seems to me that a tree got a serious trim over the summer and has opened up the fairway a tad.

Holes 2-5 will remain the same with maybe 3 getting a tad shorter to make it a more frustrating par.

Hole 4 got cleaned up over the summer and the way to the green has opened up a bit.

Last edited by Jefrey A. Brother on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
#6 Played too long and boring. Seemed no one on my card was really in a good position after their drive to get a 3. Its a combination of a long 2nd throw with trees guarding the green. Easy 4 for most.

This was brought up, but in the end we decided to leave it as is. Most of the drives I saw off this tee were pretty brutal; flipping and hitting the trees on the right, or being sawed off and ending up behind the trees on the left. The wind last year was a head wind and I saw players make their mistakes on their disc and shot selection.

We won't blame the design this year and I would bet we'll see more birdie 3s being recorded.

6-8 will remain the same.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holes 9 through 11 will remain the same (anyone else humming Zeppelin?).

12 and 13 not so much.

Quote:
#12 Didn't like this one. Can't see the pin, flow issues with next hole. Sort of boring.

Quote:
12 and 13 are weak.

Quote:
Lemons:

Hole 12 + 13...

Quote:
- The tee pad for 18 being too close to the line for 17 especially
when carts are parked and the same goes for 13 tee pad being the
landing zone for 12

Quote:
12 and 13 need to be re-examined as they were a choke point. I have never liked hole 13 much

When we looked over the course last year, we looked at 13 (2010 #8 ) and said, no one complained about it, so we'll leave it as is. Well, the complaints came flying in for 2011, so in 2012 we've overhauled them both!

12 will use an unbelievably beautiful gap that we skirted with on last year's #13. This is a sick, sick DG throw. We apologize for not noticing it earlier.

13 will be all disc golf! The only option not available to you is a straight at'er shot. Hyzer, annie, flick, thumber, roller... It'll be a fun one. Maybe the first ace on the course?
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hole 14 (old 9) will stay the same, with the shared Yellow/Blue tee pad.

Did you notice that 15 was the hardest hole from the Yellows last year? Crazy, eh? That lane provided some frustration for some and then that green was something else. Ignore the wonky flow and it was a great hole. It'll be the same (barring some super tree growth over the year).

Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hole 16. Beautiful start to an amazing hole. Let's stretch the tee back to the point where the upshot is truly a thing of terror. As it was, from the long tees the hole was a massive hyzer drive followed by a sallow aviar putt 'n approach. To be honest, this hole looked way more terrifying than it was. Hole 5 was actually scarier than this one...

Quote:
16 could be longer to make for a very scary and fun approach shot

Yup. We made it longer. It's set up as a short par 5. Three good shots will get you on the green for a birdie 4. A good 370-400' drive and a really brave up-shot will get you a well deserved eagle. Play it super safe and get your par. Mess up on any throw and you are in for a battle.

I wonder if anyone will end up in the pond on their drive.

Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
#17 Good except for flow issue with 18

#18 Good, the only thing I didn't like is that there were tree to the immediate right on a wide open hole. Sort of limited the selection of drives.

Quote:
The tee pad for 18 being too close to the line for 17 especially
when carts are parked...

We listened. The green for last year's #18 has also been cleaned up so much so that we found the green to be boring.

17 stays the same but 18 is going to be battled down the other side of the WB fairway. This hole reminds me of a longer FM7; wide open on the left and a line of trees on the right all the way up to the turn. The basket will sit on a WB green berm for added excitement.

Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That gives us the following pars for the day:

1 - Par 4 (New Tee Yellow)
2 - Par 3
3 - Par 3
4 - Par 4
5 - Par 3
6 - Par 4
7 - Par 4
8 - Par 3
9 - Par 5
10 - Par 3
11 - Par 3
12 - Par 3 (New Hole)
13 - Par 3 (New Hole)
14 - Par 3
15 - Par 3
16 - Par 5 (New Tee)
17 - Par 3
18 - Par 4 (New Hole)

For a par 63 for both Blues and Yellows.

Last edited by Jefrey A. Brother on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Jefrey A. Brother on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go. 3 new holes. 2 tweeked holes. And an added bonus this year; the ponds got sucked up! They'll still be OB, but we'll probably not lose as many discs this time around.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RE/MAX Super 6!

S1 - Let's start things off right; over the water! From just outside of our HQ to a basket on the other side of Plaid5's pond. (Par 3)

S2 - Plaid7 Yellow pad, going to 8 basket. (Par 5)

S3 - Same as last year, from Plaid9 Blue pad to 11's basket. (Par 5)

S4 - The Super Water hole (Par 3)

S5 - Plaid 16. The way it is. (Par 5)

S6 - Along the fairway of Plaid18, shortened and the basket back in Plaid5's green. (Par 4)

Only one hole doesn't have water, but it has an OB green. Mr. Green

Good thing we have carts.
clausr
MOD Champion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Course looks better again this year, I like the trend. Good work Geoff and company.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clausr wrote:
Course looks better again this year, I like the trend. Good work Geoff and company.

It's really Twirly and company. I just tell the story. The company consists of Roxie, Ben-e and I.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
clausr wrote:

It's really Twirly and company. I just tell the story. The company consists of Roxie, Ben-e and I.

Looks exciting. 16 sounds sick

Love the idea of comparable par for pro and am

Last edited by Thumber on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:

Looks exciting. 16 sounds sick

It looks like it might be. I hope we got the "landing zone" right and that the big arms can be rewarded if they pull off the hero second shot. It's about 370-380 to the front of the green circle landing zone. Leaving about 250' to the green. It's very white ballish.

Quote:

Love the idea of comparable par for pro and am

This is Ben's work. We both agree that DG should take the philosophy of white ball when it comes to obstacles and distances. It's not the same game if the trouble is 400' from the tee when players can't throw that far. Move the "AM" up a 100' and then you have to make decisions.

Last edited by Jefrey A. Brother on Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
axelfudge
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything looks great!
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Course Lemons and Lollis?
julz
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love that course!
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012 Course Distances

HoleBlueYellowPar
TOTALS
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> ODGC Tournaments and Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: