Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Course Conversations -> Black Falls and Cherry Hill, Montgomery, VT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up Darco at 5:20 and we were on the course at 9:30. Almost 4 hours door to door, and it really is, as the course parking lot is the upper part of Johnny's driveway.

Johnny Betts owns both Black Falls and Cherry Hill. They are within 1 km of each other on the same dirt road.

Darco and I started at Black Falls, as that was what Navi was telling us to do, and Darco likes to follow Navi's instructions. There was no one at home when we got there, so we read the message board for the rules of the course and to drop our $5 into the pay box.

The course signage is done in house, literally, with painted wood and canvas and Sharpies. You won't get lost, which is all I cared about (the courses don't have any score cards or maps...yet) and every tee sign listed the "route" and distance to each of the pins. Black Falls has two tees--Gold and Silver--and two pins--Gold and Silver--so there is a lot of variety for traveling golfers.

All the tee pads were crushed gravel and all at a Penton Approved size. Johnny brought in rocks and boulders to back fill them and level them out. I don't any complaints about the pads. None. Disco would have given his approval. The grass on both courses was lawn quality. He showed us his "$20,000" mower (check that one off for my millions) that he uses for both courses.

There are 55 baskets in the Betts' ground. 36 Innova DISCatcher® Pro Targets, and 19 Innova DISCatcher® Sports (1 practice basket). The Sports were painted silver.

Black Falls also features a nice outhouse with DG mags to peruse.

Our first round was Gold-to-Gold. The course record is a 44 by Steve Brinster. I shot a 55 (2 circle 5s) and Darco was a tad higher. It's mostly a wooded course, but a fair wooded course--no poke-and-hopes. You could tell that Johnny held no attachment to any tree on his property; if it interfered with the shot, it came down. It also featured some nice open holes and some really fun elevation changes. I got to get some big pulls and some nice finesse shots to start of our day.

Gold-Gold has about 75% of the holes being "leftie friendly" which suited my flick just fine. And also features two ponds, on the same hole, for some added excitement. Gold-Gold = ODG Yellow

Cherry Hill was a different story. This is a championship level course and is meant for top pros (not that Darco and I were outclassed on it, it would just separate the 1000s from the 970s pretty cleanly). The front nine were my favourite 9 holes of the day. I loved the feel of them and I really liked the idea behind most of them.

The back 9 of Cherry Hill is across the street and on the side of a Vermont Mountain. It's pure wooded. It's new, so there may be some changes to it, but holy cow do you have to be perfect to do well up there. Needless to say, we had moments of perfection and moments of reality. Hit early and you were fighting to just keep it a 4. I could "see" each shot that I needed to make, it was the doing that shot that sometimes became an issue.

Darco and I shot mid 60s on Cherry Hill with Darco bettering me by one stroke. It's a tough course, both physically and mentally. The Doucette Principle becomes very important.

We finished our day back at Black Falls, Gold-Silver, to play match-play. The Silver baskets are not in leftie friendly positions and if they were, they were 50-100' shorter which didn't give me the flick advantage like I hoped. Darco schooled me on the back 9, taking a 2 hole lead at 11 and then casually finished the round kicking my a$$. Look out Montreal Pelies.

After some iffie advice from Navi, a sketchie crossing back into Canada and some forced site seeing into the back country of Vermont and Quebec, I dropped off Darco at 8:10 (4 hours and 10 minutes) and was home by 8:20.

If you have a free day to do this, I would seriously recommend doing it. The next time I go I’m going to play the Black Falls/Cherry Hill combo then hit another Vermont course in the area. Maybe Smugglers Notch.
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice recap Geoff. I'm not over the high yet of all the fun I had.

That kind of day had me back feeling like a teenager again. I'll gladly do something like this again, circumstances willing.

Black Falls and Cherry Hills are just like Geoff described them, a real treat for a disc golfer looking for a challenge.
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's some pudding for proof...

Geoff, taking note of the local course info and rules.

Black Falls Hole 4, slight downhill 430 ft. annie route. Geoff's great flick drive, leading to stress free birdie.

Ahh, the thoughtful amenities...

An example of the terrain, the woods, the cleared fairways and one of Geoff's numerous piped flicks that got him safely up to the basket all day long.

Me at Cherry Hills No. 12, salvaging a five.

Last edited by Ken Darcovich on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool
deuce
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Very jealous!
beny_boy
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two of my favorite courses!!!

BTW my best round at cherry hill ina tournament was 60 and I still don't understand how I did it!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Course Conversations All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: