Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Other Events -> ODSA Sanctioning and Liability Insurance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lissyssil
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: ODSA Sanctioning and Liability Insurance Reply with quote

Spoke with the parental units about the "Throwdown in Cowtown" tournament that I hope to run this year.

They don't have the liability insurance to cover something like that on their property, or aren't willing to put up their insurance, or something like that. How does ODGC deal with liability insurances for tournaments on private property? I know there was a brief discussion about this at the AGM involving Johhny P, but I'm not sure what the end result was.

Does an ODSA sanctioned event carry ODSA liability insurance? Does an ODGC sanctioned event carry liability insurance? How can I go about getting a waiver to cover a single day tournament on private property?

Cheers,
Mark
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.odgc.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7931

(Credit due: Andros pointed out the link)

Last edited by Holly D on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike McCormick
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will use this as one of the examples when I contact the ODSA to discuss exactly what is covered and what is not. I am in the process of creating the list, it will be a week or so.
Mike McCormick
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has specific insurance scenarios they would like answered, please pm them to me and I will get them addressed with the rest of my queries.
lissyssil
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
B - Open to all interested disc golfers provided:
The ODGC receive $3 per current ODGC Member and $8 for any player that is not a current ODGC Member;
Where the tournament is not otherwise insured, the ODGC provides insurance through its membership in the ODSA which requires players that are not already insured members of the ODSA purchase an ODSA membership for $8, which fee is payable to the ODSA through the ODGC;
Where the tournament is a PDGA tournament, the tournament director is responsible for ensuring compliance with PDGA regulations and for collecting and paying PDGA sanctioning fees; and
Where a park permit fee may be payable to the course land holder, the tournament director agrees to pay this fee.

So, if I were to do a "no fee" tournament, sanctioned by ODGC, it would cost $3 for ODGC members (who are by default ODSA members), $8 for ODSA non ODGC members, and $16 for non ODSA/non ODGC members?
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike McCormick wrote:
If anyone has specific insurance scenarios they would like answered, please pm them to me and I will get them addressed with the rest of my queries.

Mike I do and have been asking. Problem is the liability in putting it in writing the answer or interpretation to a question. I think in your enquiries you'll get the confirmation for what you ARE not covered for when people like me are interested in knowing what we ARE covered for.

I do know the ODSA provides a link to the underwriter and you can contact them directly.

There's also been changes. I used to be asked to participate as a course. Now I'm no longer asked. I'm directed to a commercial club flat fee with a membership # driven rate or directed to particpate as a member of ODGC where I used to be able to select Ettyville as my course.

Mark. To me the best solution is to talk to the ODSA underwriter and talk to your own insurance underwriter.

Commercial entities that are putting baskets on their properties are not relying on the ODSA insurance.

I'm not slaming the ODSA insurance but just that I don't seem to fit into it anymore and have been asking but not getting answers. I do take comfort with ODGC events at my place having that in place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Other Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: