Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League -> Lemons & Lollipops - Ice League Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Lemons & Lollipops - Ice League Edition Reply with quote

Lemons: What you didn't like

Lollies: What you liked

Last edited by andros on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemon: One 48 page long forum thread covering league details. Impossible to navigate for all but the dedicated few. A terrible communications strategy and misuse of technology. Some may find it funny; most will just walk away.

Lollipop: Golf in the winter. A big, huge, multi-flavour, swirly-delicious lollipop, that one.
Mr. Fister
Driver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemons: I got stuck on the 417 for over 1 hour with my boots on and my discs taped. Nothing more fustrating.

Lollies: I went and played a night round and it was all packed down for me. Thanks.
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burjwahzeh wrote:
Lemon: One 48 page long forum thread covering league details. Impossible to navigate for all but the dedicated few. A terrible communications strategy and misuse of technology. Some may find it funny; most will just walk away.

Lollipop: Golf in the winter. A big, huge, multi-flavour, swirly-delicious lollipop, that one.

There's also a nice little 2 page "official" ice league information page. The other one is just babble.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollipops: Great courses and people to play with all year. Wide range of partners

Lemons : Syn Cards....these need to go IMO
Ice Putt : There has to be a better way of running this. I liked the keep your own score approach at Syn City. That way no one has to stand around freezing while marking scores and people can do it when they have time
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollipops

- A good replacement for the original Godfather of Ice League, Gorgeous Dandy Don - Nice work Andros. Those are some pretty hefty shoes to fill.
- Good formula; not broken no need to fix
- Good competition week in week out
- Nice spread of courses/layouts
- "Personal" courses used
- Ribboned discs were the norm (actually Twirly was the only one that I encountered that was throwing un-ribboned)
- More snowshoed players
- C-Kyle and his no jacket policy

Lemons

- 48 page "discussion"
- Some events were not "cleaned" up fairly
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Double Participation Points

Double Participation Points should be handed out for playing in conditions like the last two Saturdays--snow falling, good wind, cold temperatures, blizzard--not for just playing in the first snow.

I disagree with the above statement. I think the traditional way we do things is the best. DPP to celebrate the first "real" winter golf day, and to celebrate the last day of the the League, at the Ice Bowl.
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollipops -

1) The Commandant Tyrant. Good job taking this puppy over. I'm not sure what over all attendance was but I think it was great. Communication was great.
2) Hosting an event. Always a pleasure.
3) I must be in the minority but I liked the 45 pages of babble and personally don't see the concern people put into what other people say or think. I'm part of the "other half" of the membership that is not involved in the executive OR the course design commitee's so this was the only thread that kept me interested in the ODGC for the winter months. Almost all the active members posted on it at some point and time. 9000 plus views has to be good for something. When this place stops being a forum then there is a problem.

Lemons -
1) More of an observation, as it didn't happen to me, but the rules appear to require solidification.
2) Syn Cards and Mullie cards. Not that there is anything wrong with them but they appear to require solidification as well. Compromises could be:
- increased base fee that a portion goes to the charity so that the charity doesn't suffer 100% for consideration to changes in format.
- Mullie only event, Syn only event, Both card event, No cards event
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemons
Lack of rules. We definitely need a set of standardized rules written and publicly available.
Getting injured and not being able to play.
Advertising. I think this league could be a good draw in our community. There's only so much to do in the winter, I'm sure there are lots of people who would come out for a day, especially since it's for charity.

Lollies
SYNs and mullies. They add a quirky element to the game and generate money for the food bank. Win win!
41 unique golfers over the season.
Number and rotation of courses. Visited some city parks for the first time, course designs seemed fair and fun.
Johnny Pytel and his tractor.
Pre-league shared snacks and such.
Andros. Big ups to you for keeping things going along pretty smoothly, and for putting up with no small amount of shit throughout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: