Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Taking the Officials Test
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 10042
Location: First tee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Taking the Officials Test Reply with quote

And how would you answer this question?

Question 18: Disc Moved

Player A is parked under the basket, and player B putts out, and picks up player Aís disc saying 'Thatís a gimme' and hands the disc to player A. How should player A proceed?

A) Player A moves to the next hole and counts the gimme on his score.
B) Player A puts the disc back to its approximate location and throws their next shot with no penalty.
C) Player A puts the disc back to its approximate location and throws their next shot. Both Player A and Player B receive a one throw penalty.
D) Player A puts the disc back to its approximate location and throws their next shot with no penalty. However player B gets a one throw penalty.
E) Player A puts the disc back to its approximate location and throws their next shot with no penalty. Player B is disqualified for intentional interference.
_________________
Boyle says BOOM!


Last edited by Jefrey A. Brother on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 10042
Location: First tee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the answer is there. Oh well, we'll soon find out...

The PDGA Officials test is found: http://www.pdga.com/officials-exam-ready
_________________
Boyle says BOOM!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 10042
Location: First tee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results in:

Quote:
OFFICIALS EXAM DETAILS
=========================================
Answered 25 | Missed 0 | Correct 25
Passed? Yes

You have successfully passed the PDGA Official's Exam.


I know the answer!
_________________
Boyle says BOOM!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion


Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Posts: 8362
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
B) Player A puts the disc back to its approximate location and throws their next shot with no penalty.


I say B.
_________________
Hyzer enthusiast
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
C-Kyle
Spin Doctor


Joined: 07 May 2009
Posts: 1217

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say E
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Holly D
Overflow Overlord


Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 4302
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say I'd like to read the official rules twice before making a call.
_________________
1020 rated lunch preparationist
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
surge
Champion of Chains


Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Posts: 2962
Location: With my discs!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say "hey thanks buddy" big grin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Thumber
LNF Champion


Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 8270

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a PDGA event?

I think the answer is B but if you wanted to be a prick you could likely penalize player B for intentionally movin your disc....Answer D. PLayer A would never be penalized
_________________
meh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion


Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Posts: 8362
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Is this a PDGA event?


I just assumed it was because it is a "PDGA officials test".
_________________
Hyzer enthusiast
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 10042
Location: First tee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is B. The penalty for intentional interference a disc is 2 stroke penalty. That isn't offered, so I went with B. I was right.
_________________
Boyle says BOOM!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 4460
Location: Somewhere where my mind is not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
The answer is B. The penalty for intentional interference a disc is 2 stroke penalty. That isn't offered, so I went with B. I was right.
This means that player "B" didn't intend to move the disc.

Another example of wink-wink-nudge-nudge lax attitudes in the rules. In a tourney, if you do something like this to someone else's disc, you should be penalized.

Think about it. The guy intentionally tried to circumvent the rules, and was looking for your cooperation in doing so. Gimmes are for frolfers, and to be given only in match play.
_________________
Privacy is a means to democracy, not an end in itself. - unknown
Sabotage the system. Provoke more questions! - unknown
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 10042
Location: First tee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burjwahzeh wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
The answer is B. The penalty for intentional interference a disc is 2 stroke penalty. That isn't offered, so I went with B. I was right.
This means that player "B" didn't intend to move the disc.

Another example of wink-wink-nudge-nudge lax attitudes in the rules. In a tourney, if you do something like this to someone else's disc, you should be penalized.

Think about it. The guy intentionally tried to circumvent the rules, and was looking for your cooperation in doing so. Gimmes are for frolfers, and to be given only in match play.


That's what I thought too. But the option of a 2 stroke penalty wasn't given. I went with the no penalty.

Do I think the gimmie is OK to do? Yes. At LNF I do it all the time. For a gimmie/drop in. But for a PDGA tournament it should be following the rules to the word of the book.

Other than that, the test was pretty straight forward.
_________________
Boyle says BOOM!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 4460
Location: Somewhere where my mind is not.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
...Do I think the gimmie is OK to do? Yes. At LNF I do it all the time. For a gimmie/drop in. But for a PDGA tournament it should be following the rules to the word of the book.

Other than that, the test was pretty straight forward.

You hit it spot-on: A PROFESSIONAL tournament needs to hold its pros to account.

{Aside: when I read the question, without even looking at the answers I thought, "2 strokes! They're equating willful interference with misguided sportsmanship; nice!", then I noticed 2 strokes wasn't given.}

Why does the PDGA insist that their professionals deserve to be treated with the kid gloves that they'd want amateurs to be treated with?

Here's an answer for you: Because they aren't willing to separate the two!
I call it greed. They'll lose their revenue, paltry as it is, by doing this. Too bad that it needs to be done...
_________________
Privacy is a means to democracy, not an end in itself. - unknown
Sabotage the system. Provoke more questions! - unknown
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 10042
Location: First tee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burjwahzeh wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
...Do I think the gimmie is OK to do? Yes. At LNF I do it all the time. For a gimmie/drop in. But for a PDGA tournament it should be following the rules to the word of the book.

Other than that, the test was pretty straight forward.

You hit it spot-on: A PROFESSIONAL tournament needs to hold its pros to account.

{Aside: when I read the question, without even looking at the answers I thought, "2 strokes! They're equating willful interference with misguided sportsmanship; nice!", then I noticed 2 strokes wasn't given.}

Why does the PDGA insist that their professionals deserve to be treated with the kid gloves that they'd want amateurs to be treated with?

Here's an answer for you: Because they aren't willing to separate the two!
I call it greed. They'll lose their revenue, paltry as it is, by doing this. Too bad that it needs to be done...


Probably goes with the fact they aren't only dealing with "professional" DGers. Maybe the two need to seperate. Maybe it's about time to "earn" your pro card.
_________________
Boyle says BOOM!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
RSS Feed for Latest Posts