Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Do you practice hitting your mark in run up throws? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you practice hitting your mark (30 cm directly behind your lie)?
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
No
71%
 71%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 14

Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Do you practice hitting your mark in run up throws? Reply with quote

Do you make a conscious effort to practice hitting your mark (30 cm directly behind your lie)?
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of a dumb poll BBP. You may be the only person I know who practices hitting their mark. That doesn't change anything with respect to my conjecture that players in Ottawa are conscientious of trying to hit their mark. Most of us just aren't as obsessive when it comes to our play as you. The results certainly showed this year and good on ya, but a better poll would have been "Do you worry about hitting your mark"
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
This is kind of a dumb poll BBP. You may be the only person I know who practices hitting their mark. That doesn't change anything with respect to my conjecture that players in Ottawa are conscientious of trying to hit their mark. Most of us just aren't as obsessive when it comes to our play as you. The results certainly showed this year and good on ya, but a better poll would have been "Do you worry about hitting your mark"

Then I'm the only one you know who is worried about playing within the rules of the game.

And I don't consider it obsessive that if the rule states; "When the disc is released, a player must: (1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc."

This is a rule of the game. And I'm practicing to play within the rules. And freakin right "good on" me. I ignored others' foot faults from the fairway all year and worked on hitting mine and still found success.

This speaks volumes to the amount of respect players have of the rules and playing within them. You're right, nobody cares. This attitude is the bain of our sport.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you misunderstand what i am saying.

Good on you yes for practicing hard to make sure you are always playing within the rules. But just because I don't practice hitting my mark doesn't mean I take missing the mark any less seriously than you do. Its just i don't practice it.

The result is I could end up getting warned and possibly penalized, and that is on me. But to say people not practicing don't respect the rules or care about them is a jump and a touch insulting.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
No you misunderstand what i am saying.

Good on you yes for practicing hard to make sure you are always playing within the rules. But just because I don't practice hitting my mark doesn't mean I take missing the mark any less seriously than you do. Its just i don't practice it.

The result is I could end up getting warned and possibly penalized, and that is on me. But to say people not practicing don't respect the rules or care about them is a jump and a touch insulting.

I'm not the only one:

Dr Rick Voakes wrote:
I know this proposal sounds a bit radical, but we are definitely going to have to make a major change in order to solve the stance issue. As we now play, a very large percentage of even the top pros foot-fault on almost every shot. If we were to drop the warning for foot-fault, it would be a disaster. If we do nothing, the sport will start to lose credibility in the sports world, as more media and photo coverage will
illustrate the laxity of our rules.

I find it insulting that some people would like to see the mark jump to a 60 cm cirlce because players don't care enough to work on their fairway game and are missing their marks most of the time. I find it insulting that I take away from my power on the fairway to hit my mark and still make a good shot while others who don't practice hitting their mark, don't know how to do it, so therefore don't. I find it insulting that the onus is on other players to watch other players feet. Frankly, I find it insulting that most players worry about getting an extra 30 feet added to their throw but take a chance on hitting their mark.
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say I practice this part of my game at least not like I would practice putting. But I am definetly conscious of where I will be planting. It's all part of your pre-throw routine.
deuce
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I practice hitting my mark. I don't run drills or anything that is specific to this, but I do make a conscious effort when practicing to hit my mark.

I'd also like to add that this lack of knowledge and/or respect for the rules is just as bad if not worse in ball golf. I have played plenty of rounds with people who honestly believe moving their ball a few inches to get a better lie is not cheating. Or that wet conditions were to blame for chunking a ball into the woods and it's OK to hit another one without counting that stroke. I've seen countless violations in sand traps. I'd bet most of these players know the rules. For some reason however, they don't feel like adhering to them when they play.
lissyssil
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxie wrote:
I wouldn't say I practice this part of my game at least not like I would practice putting. But I am definetly conscious of where I will be planting. It's all part of your pre-throw routine.

Agreed. And thence why I voted No. But it's really sort of a yes, as every throw outside of competition is a practice attempt at hitting my mark.
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing by the rules makes you better!!! smile

Personally I wish the rule was a bit more liberal in size for the mark. I'd like the mark to be bigger.

It's pretty hard to focus on the mark and the shot. I see the shot more important than a few inches or feet with respect to the mark.

I appreciate the difficulty and skill in focusing on both BUT I don't see "missing you mark" as akin to "modifying ones lie" in white ball where big advantage can be gained.

It's interesting and so specific to this sport.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also disagree with both you BBP and DR Strange up there that most people are missing their marks almost every time...once or twice a round maybe, but not 100% of the time. That is simply false.
disco rico
Falling Colours Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally practice hitting my mark , but I'm conscious of it when I'm walking up to my disc...

Course is in TOP SHAPE !!
deuce
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Pytel wrote:

I appreciate the difficulty and skill in focusing on both BUT I don't see "missing you mark" as akin to "modifying ones lie" in white ball where big advantage can be gained.

It's interesting and so specific to this sport.

I would agree that in almost all cases, moving your ball creates more of an advantage than missing your mark by a few inches. My analogy was more about following rules in general. As you've mentioned, this is so specific to DG that I can't come up with a direct comparison in another established sport.
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was learning disc golf, I was under the incorrect impression that fairway drives were done as if a new tee box was placed just behind your disc. This resulted in a lot of bad habits that I have slowly been unlearning.

Recently, I worked on hitting my mark by putting a 30 cm long wide orange ribbon on the ground behind the middle of my disc, and then trying to step on the ribbon when I throw. I find I do much better with the ribbon than without it. My understanding of the rules is that such a ribbon would not be legal in competition.

But would it??
lissyssil
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deuce wrote:
As you've mentioned, this is so specific to DG that I can't come up with a direct comparison in another established sport.

The closest I can get is to sports like Long Jump, Javelin, etc. in Track and Field competition, or foot faulting in Tennis or Badminton. Both are bad examples because of the flat surface of the playing field.

Maybe beach volleyball?
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In bowling players' toes cross the foul line a lot, it's called electronically.
Lanes shut off this feature for non-league play.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Darcovich wrote:
In bowling players' toes cross the foul line a lot, it's called electronically.
Lanes shut off this feature for non-league play.

The Dude: Walter, ya know, it's Smokey, so his toe slipped over the line a little, big deal. It's just a game, man.
Walter Sobchak: Dude, this is a league game, this determines who enters the next round robin. Am I wrong? Am I wrong?
Smokey: Yeah, but I wasn't over. Gimme the marker Dude, I'm marking it 8.
Walter Sobchak: [pulls out a gun] Smokey, my friend, you are entering a world of pain.
The Dude: Walter...
Walter Sobchak: You mark that frame an 8, and you're entering a world of pain.
Smokey: I'm not...
Walter Sobchak: A world of pain.
Smokey: Dude, he's your partner...
Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a shit about the rules? Mark it zero!
The Dude: They're calling the cops, put the piece away.
Walter Sobchak: Mark it zero!
[points gun in Smokey's face]
The Dude: Walter...
Walter Sobchak: [shouting] You think I'm fucking around here? Mark it zero!
Smokey: All right, it's fucking zero. Are you happy, you crazy fuck?
Walter Sobchak: ...It's a league game, Smokey.
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, so that's where this thread is heading. Straight to Thumber's new avatar...

Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Darcovich wrote:
Ahh, so that's where this thread is heading. Straight to Thumber's new avatar...

and done
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Ken Darcovich wrote:

and done

and doner. Thanks Thumber.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughing laughing laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: