Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Ottawa Disc Golf Ettiquette
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Ottawa Disc Golf Ettiquette Reply with quote

- After making your putt, clear the basket and chains. Try to avoid hitting the chains and making them move for the next player.

- Stay still and out of the sight-line of a player about to throw. Especially when putting.

- Shake hands (give props) at the beginning of the round. Shake hands at the last teepad, before throwing, and shake hands again after the round is done.

- Positive comments only. And don't tell me it was close one. I know it was close, but it's STILL IN THE BASKET! So shut the frick up. wink

- Minimize the "if only"s.

- Carry a $5 bill for paying out any Aces that may happen on your card.

- Watch your throw. Watch your card mates' throws. Find your own disc first, then go help find other players' discs.

- Don't pollute the pad. Fart off the pad.

Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ottawa Disc Golf Ettiquette Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

- Don't pollute the pad. Fart off the pad.

Does this include sh1ting the bed? Cause sometimes it's involuntary.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ottawa Disc Golf Ettiquette Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

- Shake hands at the last teepad, before throwing, and shake hands again after the round is done.

i always found this odd
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ottawa Disc Golf Ettiquette Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

- Shake hands at the last teepad, before throwing, and shake hands again after the round is done.

i always found this odd

Which part? The shake before and the shake at the last tee seems to be the norm across disc golf. I guess it allows a player to take off right at the end. Usually there's score counting to do at the end, and initialing that takes place. If the card was a good one, there's usually the end of the round shake. Happens more in Ottawa.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ottawa Disc Golf Ettiquette Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

i always found this odd

Which part? The shake before and the shake at the last tee seems to be the norm across disc golf. I guess it allows a player to take off right at the end. Usually there's score counting to do at the end, and initialing that takes place. If the card was a good one, there's usually the end of the round shake. Happens more in Ottawa.

I find the shaking before the last tee off odd....this is the only place I have experienced it. Not saying its bad, just not sure why we don't wit til the end of the round...I like the handshake at the last basket
Steve Rydell
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't played many PDGA tournaments outside of Ottawa. I have found it very common playing in the U.S. At away tournaments you usually end up shaking hands 4 times. 1) Intro 2)Start of round 3)last hole and 4) end of round after counting scores.

I'm a big fan of all the hand shakes. What I would like is a consensus of the hand shake/fist bump/ high five. Nothing is more awkward than when two people do different things.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Rydell wrote:

I'm a big fan of all the hand shakes. What I would like is a consensus of the hand shake/fist bump/ high five. Nothing is more awkward than when two people do different things.

So true. Going in with the hand open only to meet the fist, to try to change in mid reach...nope, awkward.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Steve Rydell wrote:

So true. Going in with the hand open only to meet the fist, to try to change in mid reach...nope, awkward.

LOL...Nothing more awkward than open hand shaking a fist...other than an outright miss
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any more?
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when playing random double never ever complain about who you got paired with. It makes you look like an arse
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
when playing random double never ever complain about who you got paired with. It makes you look like an arse

That's just rude. That's a lesson for life. Good thing marriages aren't like random doubles.
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Thumber wrote:

That's just rude. That's a lesson for life. Good thing marriages aren't like random doubles.

laughing Imagine the pairings.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"K, now Andrew you're paired up with...ahhh, guess you're going the same sex couple route..."
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
"K, now Andrew you're paired up with...ahhh, guess you're going the same sex couple route..."

Dammit....not again
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ottawa Disc Golf Ettiquette Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

We're talking ettiquette here, right?
Ettiquette relates to how you interact with those in your "group", that group being other disc golfers in this case.

I'd make hazy the definition and add:
- Dress in a manner that suggests you are approachable by those not necessarily aware of the sport.

Now, more in line with ettiquette towards disc golfers:
- Avoid walking between another player and the target, especially when in putting range.
- Move away from the target, preferably towards the next tee pad, before recording scores when the group has finished.

There are so many more I could write out.

- In congested areas of a course, yield to the group that is playing a hole that you have not yet played (you'd think this was common sense, but people don't realize that they're slowing everyone down if they do it any other way).
st-ACE
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ottawa Disc Golf Ettiquette Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

i always found this odd

Any reason to hold your hand even briefly unibrow unibrow unibrow
clausr
MOD Champion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA, I got this secret handshake thing going with Dave now. You approach with the fist and open your hand in the last 4 inches doing the hand slap. Then you laugh.

HAHA

Thumber wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Steve Rydell wrote:

LOL...Nothing more awkward than open hand shaking a fist...other than an outright miss
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People sexting during a round.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: