Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Marking a disc Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clausr
MOD Champion

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:

In ball golf you would never have an alternate lie based on if you marked the ball or not. That was my only point. Its kind of silly.

Lets not compare with ball golf, thats dumb.
To prove my point I'm going to get silly now.

In ball golf you can stand anywhere you want, you could be in front, behind, close or far from the ball. Therefor in disc golf you should pick a place to stand within reach of your disc, pick it up and throw it. Seems fair right. Silly though.

Also ball golf has casual water rules, take it strait back and play it. Also if your ball lands in a divot, you can take it out and strait back. very civilized. So enough with the ball golf comparisons.
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marking creates a lot of superfluous activity -- four people picking up and putting down an extra object 30+ times each round.

What's the point of gaining 20 cms over 100, 200 feet? Getting closer when in putting range is not always an advantage (ever ding it off the top?). The gain is all mental.

Only mark when you can't fit your foot behind the disc otherwise and you play faster, bend down fewer times and it makes it easier to be consistent from tourney to casual play.

Play it where it lies.

Will Ferrell
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been sitting here trying to come up with someway to tie in a superfulous third nipple joke

ha ha....you said superfulous
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clausr wrote:
Thumber wrote:

In ball golf you would never have an alternate lie based on if you marked the ball or not. That was my only point. Its kind of silly.

Lets not compare with ball golf, thats dumb.
To prove my point I'm going to get silly now.

In ball golf you can stand anywhere you want, you could be in front, behind, close or far from the ball. Therefor in disc golf you should pick a place to stand within reach of your disc, pick it up and throw it. Seems fair right. Silly though.

Also ball golf has casual water rules, take it strait back and play it. Also if your ball lands in a divot, you can take it out and strait back. very civilized. So enough with the ball golf comparisons.

Actually you can't pick your ball out of a divot. Play it where it lies in that case. Do you cheat at all sports Claus? sly wink
Paul Bourgeois
ODGC Tuesday Night Coordinator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:

Oh, no. In ball golf you would never have an alternate lie.

It would be like saying, "you're allowed to use a quarter to mark your putt, and you're allowed to mark the front of the ball and replace it at the rear, but only once."

Oh, how silly.

But remember, apply this rule with every shot. It played into my game about six times tonight. I was grateful for the option, and I took advantage of it.
Paul Bourgeois
ODGC Tuesday Night Coordinator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clausr wrote:
Lets not compare with ball golf, thats dumb. ... So enough with the ball golf comparisons.
Oh, clausr... so cranky sounding. Hundreds for years of history sits there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: