Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> kicking your marker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: kicking your marker Reply with quote

Suppose you are putting outside of 30 feet. If you make a jump put, but you pivot foot moves your marker as you leave the ground, is that a foot fault?

I have started to use a jump putt for those long ones, but must confess that I am pretty sure I hit the marker with my toe when I jump. No one has called me on it yet, but someone will sooner or later. Right?
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foul

Assuming the disc is in hand when kicking the marker..

Easy solution is move your foot back so toes are20cm from the mark, this should keep your safe.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in 803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds

burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: kicking your marker Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Suppose you are putting outside of 30 feet. If you make a jump put, but you pivot foot moves your marker as you leave the ground, is that a foot fault?

I have started to use a jump putt for those long ones, but must confess that I am pretty sure I hit the marker with my toe when I jump. No one has called me on it yet, but someone will sooner or later. Right?

It's a foot fault.

Don't get so close to your marker. An inch or two isn't that hard to give up when you have 30 centimeters to use.
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: kicking your marker Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
... No one has called me on it yet...

Don't let that keep you from correcting your footing.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: kicking your marker Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
... No one has called me on it yet...

It may stem from the fact that when someone does call you, they get called a "Rule Nazi".

The person calling the rule infraction usually comes off as being the bad guy.
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

being evil Well, when it's at the Shire and OMR is involved one has to be a little suspicious.

Last edited by Roxie on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bourgie, you have to dig out that blank-out head jump putt pic.
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know who was in the pic. laughing

Will Ferrell

Last edited by Chuck Shick on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Bourgie, you have to dig out that blank-out head jump putt pic.

Imageshack has removed it.

What's a better place to dump images?
Andrew
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks... I figured it was a fault. I could have looked it up myself, but I can tell you guys enjoy reading the rule book more than I do.

You really need people to call you on the rules whenever you are seen breaking them! I suspect my foot is hitting the marker on jump putts, but how would I know for sure? I am a little busy looking at the basket when it's happening.

Last edited by Andrew on Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
C-Kyle
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole thing about being labeled a rule nazi makes people not wanna play with you or makes people mad at you. People don't wanna know they r breaking the rules or they r in denial about it. It gets tiresome I am sure when you have to call people shot after shot just to hear them whine about it forever. I am sure OMR has frustrated the hell out of people and I am sure at times it has made it more awkward of a round. I remember when I was new to DG and he would call me on falling puts from 5 ft away and I remember how frustrating it was but I also now realize that had he not called me then I would still likely be doing it because nobody else would have. On another note, I called one of my competitors for stepping thru a putt of 10 ft at the plaid. I explained why it was a fault and let him have his free shot. He then proceeded to do the exact same thing the second time and once again I called it. He had made the first one but proceeded to miss the second 2 and ended up with a 5 instead of a 2. I mentioned that I had called it after the round to people and I was told that I shouldn't have called it I should have made sure he didn't do it the second time and showed him specifically what he did wrong. So I was made to feel like a dink because I know the rules and it seemed like I did the wrong thing. People need to know the rules or not play....SIMPLE!
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems playing with a rules nazi BTW. Just a little friendly bantering. And I sure as hell wouldn't call OMR one. He breaks most the rules sly wink
Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that we're talking about this even in the limited experience that is the Open Forum.

Since we are talking about knowing and applying rules, those of us who play "regularly" (yes, I am including myself here...sue me.) will not be surprised when someone calls us on something while we play.

The off-shoot of that is that if we all understand that we're all helping each other in this way, anyone else who plays with us who is not a denizen of OF will accept and appreciate that this is how we play in Ottawa. We play with respect for the rules and for each other.

I have made it an annual thing to re-read the rules for Ultimate as there is a premium put on the sport being self-officiated. Well, DG is self-officiated, too, so I will be making the effort to read, know, follow and enforce the rules better this season.

big grin

Brother
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxie wrote:
I have no problems playing with a rules nazi BTW. Just a little friendly bantering. And I sure as hell wouldn't call OMR one. He breaks most the rules sly wink

Rox knows I'm digging.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:

Easy solution is move your foot back so toes are20cm from the mark, this should keep your safe.

This is a great tip for those who may be hitting their marker, or worried about hitting it. thumbsup thumbsup
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Shick wrote:
We all know who was in the pic. laughing

Andrew, make sure you aren't doing this as you jump putt.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a discussion on the not-to-call or to-call awhile back here.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest problem is that people don't READ the rules. They expect others to tell them when they've done something wrong. Or even worse, they rely on the "rules" they've heard around the course.

For a while there were players in Ottawa thinking that a disc on top of the basket COUNTED! Or that you could back into a bush to get to your lie. Or that throwing your mini/water bottle was a practice throw, or that an Ultrastar was OK to throw for fun (during a round) and didn't count as a practice throw.

You need to know the rules. I know I sound like a broken record, but not knowing the rules have cost some a championship here in Ottawa.

Don't rely on others, because most are going from what they've heard or maybe even an older rule book.

These discussions about the rules are great though. Most of us already know, but on the PDGA site there's a Rules Question and Answers section, were some of the weird happenings are discussed. As well, the rule committee guys are quick to answer a question, or discuss a rule.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: