Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> The "Enabler" Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I see a cronic foot fowler I will tell the 3rd in our group to watch the feet. While the guy is at his mini and doing the motions of his swing ill poke the 3rd guy and say "watch feet", so there is no questioning with what we both saw. We call it fast, everyone is happy.
st-ACE
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that on my drives in particular, I am following through past my disc.
is this a foot foul?
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth noting that if your mini, or your marker disc moves while you're still holding on to the disc you're about to throw, you've made a foot fault.
This happens quite a lot, so to save yourself, make sure your foot isn't all the way up at your marker disc.

However, your foot should be in line to the basket right through the leading edge or your mini - your foot should not be beside your mini / thrown disc - again I see that quite a lot.
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This speaks to one advantage of not marking your disc in the fairway. Sure you lose the 8 inches over 100 or 200 feet, but the spot that you are aiming to plant your foot is bigger and more visible during a run up.

Will Ferrell

Last edited by Chuck Shick on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
OMR
ODGC Marketing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see SYN cards (Shout at Your Neighbour) cards where for $5 u get to yell at your opponent mid throw. It's ok, it's for charity. (this was actually inspired by my afternoon of yelling at my actual neighbour to get the f-word off my driveway... I think I might b losing it, but that crazy bitch is getting on my nerves big time... Long story.
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

st-ACE wrote:
I have noticed that on my drives in particular, I am following through past my disc.
is this a foot foul?

You CHEAT!!!!! big grin
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMR wrote:
(this was actually inspired by my afternoon of yelling at my actual neighbour to get the f-word off my driveway... I think I might b losing it, but that crazy bitch is getting on my nerves big time... Long story.

ooo please do tell,

laughing
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I wonder is what is the width of the marker if you are leaving your disc as the marker. The entire width of the disc back from the basket 30cm?
Is it a few inches wide? Does just a piece of your foot have to touch this zone?
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the back edge of a disc bigger than the back edge of a mini?
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in 803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.

Definition of Line of Play:
Quote:
Line of Play: The imaginary line on the playing surface extending from the center of the target through the center of the marker disc and beyond. This line has no thickness; therefore one support point must be directly behind the center of the marker.

And I think Kim Scott-Wood is on the front cover of the Rules Manual.
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxie wrote:
Is the back edge of a disc bigger than the back edge of a mini?

No.
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that too. Wonder how he got on there.

My point was that the line drawn through the basket to the back edge of the disc is where your foot should be. No?
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxie wrote:

My point was that the line drawn through the basket to the back edge of the disc is where your foot should be. No?

Confusing question with the "No?" at the end. Your foot should be behind the marker, in direct line with the basket, or mando, in-line with the centre of the marker. Does that answer your question? Yes?
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oui.
OMR
ODGC Marketing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darko, are you reading this?!! laughing
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zing laughing
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back edge isn't any bigger, but the target you're running up to is bigger and easier to see.

Will Ferrell
st-ACE
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMR wrote:
I want to see SYN cards (Shout at Your Neighbour) cards where for $5 u get to yell at your opponent mid throw. It's ok, it's for charity. (this was actually inspired by my afternoon of yelling at my actual neighbour to get the f-word off my driveway... I think I might b losing it, but that crazy bitch is getting on my nerves big time... Long story.

is that the neighbour whom you are suppoed to be playing the drums real loud for?
OMR
ODGC Marketing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i wouldn't ever do that!
Captain Crunch
Trodden Teepad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Captain Crunch wrote:

You might also like to read PDGA Rules 801.01 A

. Players should not throw until they are certain that the thrown disc will not distract another player or potentially injure anyone present. Players should watch the other members of their group throw in order to aid in locating errant throws and to ensure compliance with the rules.

So, it seems if you are seeing them and not calling them you might be up for a courtesy warning.

You seem to pretty gung ho about everyone following the rules and yet are not willing to help others learn the rules. Seems a strange paradox.

You're so right. I should be watching the other players on my card when they throw. In fact, I do. I do a pretty good job at finding "almost-lost" discs when others have thrown one into the muck. I can usually find mine, so I'm watching mine too. I also am ensuring compliance with the rules. If you pull out an Aerobie Pro Ring, I'd be saying something to you. If I think you are cheating, then I'm calling you on itÖwith the exception of a foot fault. I havenít called one in years. I have in the past, but it's never done anything good for me, so I've stopped.

I didn't realize that we had the option to call some rules and not others. All the rules are there to be in play from start to finish. Foot faults are quite possibly the biggest infraction in disc golf and one of the rules that we all should be calling every time we see it. If people don't like having it called then maybe they will get out and practice. I don't have a problem calling any rule infraction and nobody should. The rules are the rules. Until the day that we have a certified official following along with each group on the course the players themselves have to take that upon themselves.

Now, I did a quick read through of the rules--and if I'm wrong I'm sure you'll point it out to me and the others reading this tangent--and I can't see any rules that state that I must call infractions on others.

I think the onus is on every player to make the calls. Whether that is a must or not is of no consequence as far as a I feel. It's to every players advantage to make the correct calls. The player knowing the rules will always have an advantage over the players who do not if they put them into action. This will only make the game better for everyone and give this great sport a more legitimate place among the general public.

There was a few times this past season that I played on a card with a "newbie" (TOSS, The GOAT, Falling Colours) and I think I did a great job explaining the rules of the game as we played our round. Your accusation of "not willing to help others learn the rules" has no backing. It's a lie.

I'm glad that you are doing your part in bringing new players along. I had no doubt that you would be like that but all the rules must be conveyed and the foot fault is extremely important. So if you are neglecting to call this rule infraction, which by your own words you are, then by no means am I lying.

My feeling is that you are an extremely competitive person and take everything to heart. I by no means in my original post meant to say that you were the only one at fault for this. As we can see from this thread, there are many here who feel guilty for calling a rule infraction. Why is that? I'm really not sure but when we don't call them we are condoning them and that is wrong and does no justice to this sport.

Most of my rounds this year took place on cards with players in the HIGHEST division. The highest division of any sport would demand a full understanding of the rules. In disc golf there seems to be a soft spot for those who ďdonít know the rulesĒ, but I still EXPECT disc golfers entered in the highest division available to them to know the rules. And most of them do.

I also play my rounds in the HIGHEST division. I did not see you at any NT Events this year so I assume that we are both talking about playing in the highest division in our local and provincial tournaments. This can hardly compare to the highest divisions in our sport. Even at NT events there are officials on spot to make calls that the elite of our sport mess up on a constant basis. If you follow the rules forum on the PDGA site as I'm sure you do then you will know that there are rules missed at any level of event and that players at the top of this sport still don't make the proper call or any call at all. This again does not help our sport. We all need to keep improving this sport by making the corrections that are needed.

So why should I have to police them? Donít they know the rules? This is my point. The rationale behind this thread was to point out that players donít practice throwing hitting a mark, when the whole point of the game is to do that. Itís mind boggling to me.

We all need to police them because many of the rules are difficult to decipher. We all need to police them because it is difficult to police them ourselves. That is why, as I mentioned before, two people have to call foot faults. If it was easy to police ourselves then this rule would not exist as it is written.

Captain, you like rules. This is the first rule in the PDGA Official Rules of Disc Golf that deals with the fundamentals for ďthe game we loveĒ; Rules of Play

I do enjoy the rules and follow them closely on the PDGA Board on a daily basis. I have frequent contact with the Rules Committee for clarification on rules interpretation when interesting scenarios show up when we play that are not clear in the rules. As you know, many of the rules in our sport could certainly use some clearing up in the language and leave much to interpretation. Many do not! The foot fault is one that is very self explanatory.

Quote:
803.01 General
A. Description of the Game. The game of disc golf consists of throwing a flying disc from the teeing area to a target by a throw or successive throws. Players shall play the course as they find it and play the disc where it lies unless allowed otherwise by the Rules. The competitor who plays the stipulated round or rounds in the fewest throws plus penalty throws is the winner.

Itís the first rule. You. Shall. Play. The. Disc. Where. It. Lies. If you picked up the book and did a 10 second read of the first page of the Rules of Play, youíd KNOW that you have to have your freakin foot behind your disc. I know itís hard. Thatís why I practice doing it. Some players donít run up and have practiced standing drives. I would like players to learn the game within the rules.

As mentioned above I do know the rules and follow them explicitly. I don't have any disagreement with you in the "play it where is lies category". I'm all for it. My one and only disagreement with you from the beginning has been that we need to call rule infractions when we see them. And that means all of them. That is it!

I feel that we both want this game to be the best it can. Maybe you have been around longer than I have and you are through with being frustrated on calling foot faults. I've been called the most stubborn person in the world at times and will continue to call them when I see them. Sooner or later the frustration of the person that continues to break the rules will subside and they will get out and practice foot placement. In the meantime it will be a stroke after the first warning. Onward and upwards to a better sport.

Cheers

Mike

If you think that my not calling foot faults ďmakes you (me) just as wrong asĒ someone who is not following the rules that are laid out on the first page, the first paragraph, of the Rules of Play, we have different values and Iím OK with that.

There has already been a thread dedicated to The Enabler, and funny enough I started it up. If you want to have more discussions at that topic I encourage you keep it going there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: