Ottawa Disc Golf Club

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Tuesday Stroke Play League -> TOSS 2009 Season Finals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Bourgeois
ODGC Tuesday Night Coordinator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: TOSS 2009 Season Finals Reply with quote

ODGC Tuesday regulars, take note:
Current members of the ODGC that have participated in at least six (6) regular TOSS 2008 events have something else to look forward to.

What is it?
Think League Night Finals.
Your regular appearance on Tuesdays has allowed us to gather a large enough sample of results which characterize your game over the course of the season. We'll be recognizing performance in three categories. In two of these categories, only the results of your TOSS season will be considered. The third category will utilize your current player handicap. Here's some advice for everyone: Shoot well in week 18!

I don't need six Tuesday night appearances to play in League Night finals, right?
That is correct. League Night Finals 2008 will not require that you have made an appearance to any Tuesday night event over the course of the season. League Night Finals details will be made available in the coming weeks on this forum. As with League Night Finals events every season, you don’t want to miss this event under any circumstances.

What is League Night Finals?
League Night Finals is a special event open only to ODGC members. Ask anyone that has played in this tournament what it is all about, and you'll get one answer: Don't miss it!

Why do I need to play in six TOSS events to be eligible for this "season extra"?
If you made it out to six events, you helped to make Tuesday nights a "League" this season. It also provides us with a sample of scores that is large enough to meaningfully characterize your game over the course of the season. Six events is just one appearance for every three weeks of the season.

Do I have a chance to win anything?
In golf, seldom does one "win" something; you have to earn it. In handicap-adjusted golf, measures are taken to level the playing field with the result that players performing ahead of their historical norms receive the recognition that they have earned. In this spirit, every eligible player (someone with at least six 2007 TOSS scores) that comes to League Night Finals will have a chance to win something. If you want to win, though, you'll have to earn it.

There is going to be a handicapped score format at League Night Finals. But doesn't the course play a big role in this sort of thing?
The course plays a role all right. You have to beat it. Your handicap determines how many mistakes you can make relative to the other handicapped players in order to turn in the best adjusted round, or better put, it tells you how many times you can lay-up a shot for a good score rather than "going for it" to try and get a great score. On a short course (JCP Blue, for instance), players with higher handicaps may have a slight advantage over lower handicapped players, because the opportunities to make errors are fewer, and they tend to have less consequence. On longer courses, the lower handicapped players will tend to shine, especially if one errant shot can lead to the requirement to throw recovery shots just to get back into play. The course layout at LNF is excellent. There are a good mix of par 3 and par 4 runs, and a couple of genuine par 5's thrown in the mix to keep you thinking about your next shot. The design is almost unparalleled in terms of risk / reward, and if you show-up ready to play golf (and not hero golf), you will find that there isn't a hole that will hurt you, provided you play it according to your ability. Remember, you can use your handicap to your advantage. This course will allow you to do it and to squeeze every stroke out of your round. Everyone plays the same course. On this course, the player that recognizes their limitations and knows when to play smart is the one that will win the adjusted round.

I have a player handicap, so why am I not eligible for an adjusted-score format unless I’ve played six rounds?
This end of season bonus is a thank you for those players that participated regularly in TOSS events over the fair-weather season. We appreciate your participation on Tuesdays and at other ODGC events, but to be eligible for this award, you had to make it to just one in three Tuesday night events. Players that did so made this a league. It can be difficult to make room in one’s schedule for this sort of thing, but those that did deserve this special recognition. We hope that you can make it out more often next season, and we look forward to an even broader field of Tuesday (and Thursday) night regulars. We also look forward to seeing you at League Night Finals, since this really is one of the most rewarding disc golf experiences of the season, all bonuses aside. Even though you may not be eligible for the TOSS bonus, you will enjoy the course, and the tournament in general.

So how will these LNF adjusted rounds work?
LNF is a two-round event and it will feature some excellent disc golf. Players eligible for the TOSS extra will play the LNF course normally, but each of their rounds will be adjusted by their current player handicap. When the tournament is over, your adjusted score for each round is then added together, and the player with the lowest cumulative adjusted score after both rounds will be declared the winner.

What if there is a tie for first place?
If there is a tie for low adjusted score after both rounds, the final round adjusted score will be used as the tie-breaker, with the player scoring the lowest second-round adjusted score being declared the winner. Barring that, the player having made more TOSS 2008 appearances will be declared the winner. In the exceedingly unlikely event that two players remain tied after this, a coin toss will be used to determine the winner.

Okay, now that I understand what is going on, what exactly am I going to be able to win?
You’ll have to come to League Night Finals and see for yourself.

Questions about any of this? PM me and I'll include appropriate clarification in this thread as a FAQ.

[Edited by burjwahzeh on 2010 Jan 19 11:52]

Last edited by Paul Bourgeois on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Paul Bourgeois
ODGC Tuesday Night Coordinator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The season is now over.

The following players have qualified:

Bourgeois Paul
Kilpatrick Shane
Lariviere Jeff
McLeod David
Meldrum Jeff
Penton Geoff
Reitlingshoefer Claus
Rowland Geoff
Schnobb Gavin
Seguin Serge
Sivyer Stacie
Svetkoff Ben
Vallee Andrew
Visser Carl
Wormald Rob

Good luck at League Night Finals!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Tuesday Stroke Play League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: