Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Rule of the Week 9 - 802.01 Discs Used in Play
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Rule of the Week 9 - 802.01 Discs Used in Play Reply with quote

802.01 Discs Used in Play

A. Discs used in play must meet all of the conditions set forth in the Official PDGA Technical Standards Document. See section 805 B for disc technical standards.

B. A disc which is cracked or perforated is illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F. A disc which is cracked during a round may be carried by the player, but not used, for the balance of the tournament. The player must immediately declare his intention to carry the newly cracked or broken disc to the group or be subject to penalty under 802.01 E.

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

D. Discs must be specifically approved by the director if questioned by another player or an official, but in no case shall the disc be approved if it violates any of the above specifications. Any specifically non-approved disc (per the director) shall be considered illegal, and the player shall be penalized in accordance with 802.01 E.

E. A player who carries an illegal disc during play shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. A player who repeatedly throws an illegal disc during the round may be subject to disqualification in accordance with 804.05 A (3).

F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. After the warning has been given, each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rule of the Week 9 - 802.01 Discs Used in Play Reply with quote

BigBrotherPenton wrote:

F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. After the warning has been given, each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...you can be stroked just for having an illegal disc in your bag
OMR
ODGC Marketing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no. only if you throw it.
Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Thumber is correct. It says that if you carry the disc, you run the risk of a 2-stroke penalty. If you repeatedly throw said disc, you run the risk of DQ (and this is NOT Dairy Queen, sadly).

Please correct me if I be wrong.

big grin

Brother
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a disc to be considered "illegal" it must fall into one of these catagories:

A. Discs used in play must meet all of the conditions set forth in the Official PDGA Technical Standards Document. See section 805 B for disc technical standards.

B. A disc which is cracked or perforated is illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F. A disc which is cracked during a round may be carried by the player, but not used, for the balance of the tournament. The player must immediately declare his intention to carry the newly cracked or broken disc to the group or be subject to penalty under 802.01 E.

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

D. Discs must be specifically approved by the director if questioned by another player or an official, but in no case shall the disc be approved if it violates any of the above specifications. Any specifically non-approved disc (per the director) shall be considered illegal, and the player shall be penalized in accordance with 802.01 E.

So, carrying one of these discs in your bag, during a PDGA sanctioned round would get you 2 strokes, and possible DQ.

E. A player who carries an illegal disc during play shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. A player who repeatedly throws an illegal disc during the round may be subject to disqualification in accordance with 804.05 A (3).

In this instance:

You are given the grace if it happens during a round (has happened to me).

All this means is you develop a pre-tournie regime which requires you to take a look, clean (especially if you're crossing the border), and mark all of your discs that you plan to use during your rounds (especially if you've recently played a round at Kanata).

Last edited by BigBrotherPenton on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're carrying some non-reg disc (ie kfc bucket lid) and someone gives you a two stroke penalty, might as well throw down some freestyle moves and make it three strokes. big grin

Will Ferrell
OMR
ODGC Marketing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i stand corrected. Soooo, that jar-jar binks or whatever disc you used to carry, Penton - is that legal?

seems like a stupid rule, you should be able to carry whatever you want as long as you're not throwing it.

also, i'm sure this has been discussed already, but are you allowed to kneel on something to protect your clothing?

Last edited by OMR on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMR wrote:
i stand corrected.

Are you really standing?
OMR
ODGC Marketing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no.
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMR wrote:
i stand corrected. Soooo, that jar-jar binks or whatever disc you used to carry, Penton - is that legal?

It's not a disc.

Quote:

also, i'm sure this has been discussed already, but are you allowed to kneel on something to protect your clothing?

From the PDGA:
Quote:

Question: A player’s shot lands in a spot that has very hard, rocky ground. Can she place a towel or pad down in order to prevent abrasions to her body (or to keep her knee/clothes clean and/or dry)?

Important Note (4/15/0Cool: Previously we had ruled that this was not permitted. This opinion reverses that ruling.

Response: Applicable Rules - 802.04 Artificial Devices, 803.05 (Obstacles and Relief) C, 803.04 (Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off) A.1

802.04 allows the use of items that reduce or control abrasion. Towels or pads may fulfill this purpose. Assuming that the unsafe items on the playing surface are not subject to removal or relief under PDGA rule 803.05.C (which covers relief from obstacles to one's stance), she is allowed to place a towel or small pad under any body part, with the exception of her feet (which should already be covered by protective devices such as shoes).

Note: She may move items under 803.05 C and also use a towel or small pad under her knee.

A "small pad" is defined as being 1 centimeter or less in thickness, when compressed.

Conclusion: One may use a towel or small pad (with a maximum compressed thickness of 1 centimeter) in order to prevent harm/abrasions to the body during competitive play. A towel or pad may be used under one's foot only on the tee box.
Steve Rydell
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to Des Moines to watch Worlds I saw this rule come into play. While I was following a group of the open women playing a round, one of the ladies ended up with a disc pierced by a thorn. She didn't want to toss the disc but the others mentioned the penalty for even carrying the disc. Me being the gallant gentleman that I am offered to carry the disc for her.
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Rydell wrote:
When I went to Des Moines to watch Worlds I saw this rule come into play. While I was following a group of the open women playing a round, one of the ladies ended up with a disc pierced by a thorn. She didn't want to toss the disc but the others mentioned the penalty for even carrying the disc. Me being the gallant gentleman that I am offered to carry the disc for her.

To bad they weren't clear on the rules:

Though, the opportunity to be gallant...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: