Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Rule of the Week 4.1 - 803.01 General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Rule of the Week 4.1 - 803.01 General Reply with quote

{It would probably help to have covered this first, as it supports most the other rules. Oh well.}

803.01 General

A. Description of the Game. The game of disc golf consists of throwing a flying disc from the teeing area to a target by a throw or successive throws. Players shall play the course as they find it and play the disc where it lies unless allowed otherwise by the Rules. The competitor who plays the stipulated round or rounds in the fewest throws plus penalty throws is the winner.

B. Practice Throws. A player who throws a practice throw or an extra throw with any disc any time after the start of his or her round and prior to his or her finishing the last hole of the round (except for throws that must be re-thrown in accordance with the rules, provisional throws made pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3), or throws during a suspension or postponement of play) shall receive one penalty throw. The practice throw or extra throw must be observed by any two players or an official.

C. Provisional Throws. Provisional throws are extra throws that are not added to a player's score if they are not ultimately used in completion of the hole. The use of provisional throws is encouraged in all situations where there is a question regarding a thrower's lie and a provisional would speed play or when the thrower questions the group's or official's ruling. The unused throws shall not be added to the thrower's score nor treated as practice throws if the player announces that such additional throws are made as provisional throws prior to taking them. Provisional throws are appropriate in the following circumstances:

(1) To save time: A player may declare a provisional throw any time (a) the status of a disc cannot immediately be determined, and (b) the majority of the group agrees that playing a provisional throw may save time, and (c) the original throw may be out of bounds, lost, or have missed a mandatory. When proceeding under this type of provisional the thrower shall complete the hole from whichever of the two throws is deemed by the group or an official as the appropriate lie according to the rules.

(2) To appeal the group's or an official's ruling: A set of provisional throws may be taken to complete a hole pursuant to 803.01 D(3) when the player disagrees with the majority group decision and an official is not readily available, or if the player wishes to appeal the decision of an official. The scores from both sets of throws shall be recorded. The proper ruling and score are then determined by the director at the end of the round.

D. Appeals:

(1) When a group cannot reach a majority decision regarding a ruling, the benefit of the doubt shall be given to the thrower. However, any player may seek the ruling of an official, and the official's ruling shall supersede the group's ruling. Any player desiring an appeal of the group's decision shall promptly and clearly express that desire to the group.

(2) If an official is readily available, the group shall stand aside to seek the official's ruling, allowing other groups to play through.

(3) If an official is not readily available, the group shall proceed in one of two ways. The group may reach a majority decision with the benefit of the doubt going to the thrower, and continue play. Alternatively, if the thrower does not wish to continue play under the group's majority decision, the thrower may declare a provisional per 803.01 C. The use of provisional throws is encouraged in all situations where the thrower questions the group's or official's ruling.

(4) A player may seek an appeal of an official's ruling to the director.
If the director is readily available, the appeal shall be heard directly. The group shall stand aside awaiting the ruling on appeal. If the director is not readily available, the group shall continue playing under the official's ruling. The appeal shall be made as soon as practical. The decision of the director shall be final.

(5) Where a group's or official's decision is overturned on appeal, the official or director may, in the interest of fairness, allow the thrower's score to remain the same or adjust the thrower's score to reflect the correct interpretation of the rules. Only in a case where a replay is the most fair solution, at the discretion of the director , shall a hole or holes be replayed.

E . Warnings. A player shall not receive a warning for a rules violation unless the rule specifically provides for a warning. Warnings do not carry over from one round to the next round or to a playoff.

F . Rule of Fairness. If any point in dispute is not covered by the rules, the decision shall be made in accordance with fairness. Often a logical extension of the closest existing rule or the principles embodied in these rules will provide guidance for determining fairness.
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we're a week ahead, but the provisional thing comes up. Nice!

Here you go, Shane.

You throw a shot on CF#5 and it lands beside the basket and we can all see it from the tee.

You will never be allowed to throw another. There's no way that doing so will speed up the game.

You throw a shot into the bush beside it and say "I'd like to throw a science shot." No way. I won't let you do it. But, if you say "I'm not sure I'll find that one, I'd like to throw a provisional shot," I'd let you do it. The other guy on the card may just let it happen as well.

Last edited by burjwahzeh on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burjwahzeh wrote:
So, we're a week ahead, but the provisional thing comes up. Nice!

Here you go, Shame.

You throw a shot on CF#5 and it lands beside the basket and we can all see it from the tee.

You will never be allowed to throw another. There's no way that doing so will speed up the game.

You throw a shot into the bush beside it and say "I'd like to throw a science shot." No way. I won't let you do it. But, if you say "I'm not sure I'll find that one, I'd like to throw a provisional shot," I'd let you do it. The other guy on the card may just let it happen as well.

I've played courses where "beside the basket" may need a provisional.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: