Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League -> Ice League - Bonus Round - Flat Mountain - Dec. 22nd
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Ice League - Bonus Round - Flat Mountain - Dec. 22nd Reply with quote

The Ice League ranking will compare the top-7 results of all players PLUS the results they've earned at any of the Bonus Events they attend.

This upcoming Saturday, at the Flat Mountain course in Mountain, we'll have the first of two of these Bonus Events for the Ice League.

Points earned at these events are added on top of your Top-7 results, and have often decided who earns extra Ice Bucks at the Ice Auction. Only "Participation Points" are earned at these bonus rounds, but the competition and fun factor will be the same as at our other Ice League events.

Information on where the course is located, and driving instructions are only a click away.

If you'd like a lift, just post in here, or on the Facebook site, or contact me directly, and with sufficient notice, I should be able to set you up with a drive out to Flat Mountain.

If you can drive anyone out there, please let me know.
OMR
ODGC Marketing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran a snowmobile over the course today. Snow is deep but the tracks help. Deep enough for me to suggest we only do 9 to 13 holes tomorrow. I'm thinking of using snowshoes.
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snowmobile tracks really helped us fly along the course, although there ended up only being 2 people at this week's Bonus League event. OMR was called in to work after setting up the ice putt... he had to blow out a circle of snow from around the basket to set up the ice putt. That left Claus and I to play the course.

We see-sawed the lead throughout the game, and Claus ended up tying me on the 19th hole.

There was no wind, and the temperatures were pleasant, so the gloves were left behind. The only problem on the course was the amount of clumped up snow that Abbie started accumulating on her golden retriever fur. For a while, she looked like a snowball making machine!

With two holes left to play, we had a new feature present itself at Flat Mountain. An owl that liked discs. Yup, an owl. A full-grown one at that. So much for the 'wise old owl' fantasy.

After launching my 2nd drive on Hole 18, and having it land a few metres from the fence line, we rounded around the wall of trees to spot the owl... I thought it would be tough to throw with an owl close to my yet unlocated disc. The closer we got to it, the more we realized that the owl was actually standing on top of my disc!

After dismissing the 'injured bird' theory, I approached it cautiously, although I had considered just abandoning the disc for the day since owls can mess you up badly. Claus' dog was cautiously holding her distance, but the closer I approached, the owl seemed to decide that I could have my disc back, and majestically took flight. On our next throws, it swooped in after both discs, only to be spooked by Claus' dog.

The owl continued to chase down our discs all the way back to the 19th hole (OMR's basket where we play the Ice Putt). We thought that maybe the ribbons made the discs look more animated... but the Champion and Elite-Z plastic we threw didn't have any marks on them despite the close inspections by the errant owl.

Bizarre! Has anyone else had a similar experience in disc golf with an owl?

In other news, Claus won the CTP and the Ice Putt, with 23 pts to my 22 to Old Man's score that he would have improved upon the 2nd time had work not dragged him back to the office.

I'm looking for a guest host for next week's bonus round, as I'll be on vacation on PEI. Please either call me or drop me an e-mail, and I'll send you the files you'll need to run it smoothly. The host can run it with the format and location of their choice.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Splash on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
OMR
ODGC Marketing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool!

As an aside, I think you meant Claus won the CTP and Ice Putt...
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'll make that edit in a moment.

In the meantime...

*crickets*

Quote:

I'm looking for a guest host for next week's bonus round, as I'll be on vacation on PEI. Please either call me or drop me an e-mail, and I'll send you the files you'll need to run it smoothly. The host can run it with the format and location of their choice.

I'll be forced to cancel the Ice League Bonus Round today if I don't hear from someone by 10:00 am today who could run it for us. If you can run it, please contact me by phone at 613.286.5233 for details and the Ice League kit. Thanks!!!

Last edited by Splash on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As nobody was available to run today's Bonus round of Ice League, it will be cancelled for this week only.

Ice League returns on the first Saturday in January at The Shire in Carp.

Please note the earlier starting time for next week's event at The Shire.

Full info...

See U in The Shire! Bring your poker chips too!
Schnobble Gobbler
Mudslide Champion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, cool owl story!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: