Ottawa Disc Golf Club

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Team Play League -> [05] - Thursday, June 7, 2007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: [05] - Thursday, June 7, 2007 Reply with quote

As previously announced, this week we will be running with the locally created "Coup d'État" format, as presented below.

Players will be grouped into cards of 4, according to ability. If a multiple of 4 players per card isn't possible, we'll adjust accordingly.

Sign-in from 6:15 pm, tee-off at 6:30 pm.

“Coup d’État”

A round of 20 holes will be played by cards of 4 players. Players will cycle through turns being the DICTATOR, for a total of 5 turns each.

The Dictator is always the first to throw. Other players (Colonels) must then land “outside” the Dictator (further from the basket) in order to stay alive; or if they happen to land “inside”, (closer to the basket), they openly become enemies of the state (death sentence is given, pending arrest), and they can only survive by staging a successful coup, that is, defeating the Dictator on the particular hole. A Colonel pending arrest cannot score points if he ends up pushing the hole with the Dictator.

Also: Dictators can never incur penalty strokes. If a Dictator goes OB or misses a mando, the disc is put back into play at the appropriate spot and the others must follow from that spot as if it were only one throw from the Dictator.

Penalty strokes incurred by Colonels eliminate them from further play on that hole. Life isn’t fair under a dictatorship.

Three points will be awarded for each hole. The scoring works as follows:

The Dictator wins the skin. 3 points to the Dictator.
The Dictator and one Colonel push the hole. 2 points Dictator, 1 point Colonel.
The Dictator and two Colonels push the hole. 1 point Dictator, 1 point each Colonel.
The Dictator and three Colonels push the hole. 0 points Dictator, 1 point each Colonel.

A PUSH from a Colonel who has gone INSIDE the Dictator does NOT COUNT.

i.e. The Dictator scores 3, Col. A, who has gone inside the Dictator scores 3, Cols. B and C score 4. The Dictator wins the skin and gets 3 points, since Col A. is “dead” by going inside but not staging a coup.

1 Successful Coup = 3 points to the Colonel.
2 Successful Coups = 2 points to the further Colonel, 1 point closer Colonel. *see note
3 Successful Coups = 1 point to each Colonel.

Note: For example, if the Dictator scores 4, Colonel A scores 2 and Colonel B scores 3, only Colonel A scores a Coup. If both A and B score two, the “2 Successful Coups” condition applies. A Coup score is the skin score or push score. Where the Colonels shot the same score in a "2 Successfull Coup" situation , the extra point goes to the Colonel who made the longest putt.

If numbers require a card of 5 players, we add one Colonel, and make it 4 points per hole using the same rationale as above.

Special scorecards will be in use which also summarize these rules.
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be away, but I want to urge some of the Tuesday players to try to make it out for Coup d'État, it really is a good format.
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conditions were perfect at JCP tonight for a round of golf. The sun was shining, a light breeze was blowing, and rain was nowhere to be seen.

Speaking of nowhere to be seen, the players were invisible tonight, as only a threesome of golfers were there by starting time, including a travelling am from Michigan, who now lives in Ohio. Maybe the regulars were off greeting the Sens at the airport (kudos to you if you did), or discouraged by the rain that fell earlier in the day.

JCP seems to be a bit of a microclimate, as is Camp Fortune. When it's nasty across town, it's often beautiful out at the disc golf parks, so take a chance next time and come on over. You'll often be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think anyone had ever tried the Coup d'état format with a threesome, but we noticed that with only two points available per hole, that it took something away from the power of being a dictator. Perhaps the next time we have a three player card in this format, we can try it with 3 pts per hole instead of 2.

After 17 holes, the score was tied at 12 pts each for Kurt and myself, with Eric 2 pts back. It was Kurt's time as dictator, and he choose the red tees at #18. He got it within 8 metres up the slope, so Eric and I decided to try to go for it. Disco Rico needed a Coup all to himself, but shot it long into the rapidly growing raspberry bushes (his purple disc is still there...). I chose to be disloyal, and placed it only 2-3 metres from the basket. Kurt sunk the downhill putt for the win, and it was over.

All players had the lead at some point in the format, which made things interesting. We had also discussed at the beginning that we would play another 3 holes should the score be tied on the last hole, which I think was a good idea given the fact that there were no other cards of players that would have had to wait for us.

1 - Kurt Zielinski, 14 Coup d'etat points, 3 pts, $9
2 - Don Lane, 12 Coup d'etat points, 2 pts
3 - Eric Vinet, 10 Coup d'etat points, 1 pt

The more holes we played, the better we got at the format. There is a lot of decision making and strategy that goes in to this sort of round, which is hard to appreciate until you play the format.

Next week we will use a variation of the Stableford Scoring System, which rewards aggressive play. We hope to see more of the Thursday League Night regulars, along with new players of all levels.
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The League Night ranking was a lot easier to update with such few players, so here it is now:

Thursday League Night Ranking
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Team Play League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: