Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Tuesday Stroke Play League -> FAQ: Why Handicaps Can Move Up Even After a Good Round
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Bourgeois
ODGC Tuesday Night Coordinator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: FAQ: Why Handicaps Can Move Up Even After a Good Round Reply with quote

The TOSS week 4 results appear to contain an anomaly that I was recently asked to explain.

Week 4 results saw Ben's handicap increase after his well played round, while Gavin's handicap decreased even though he recorded a higher score.

This phenomenon has to do with the extensive player histories that both Gavin and Ben have. Recall that only the 20 most recent rounds count towards you handicap, and only the best 50% of those rounds are used in the handicap calculation.

Ben's round saw him score a 13.1 differential.
Gavin's round saw him score a 14.2 differential.

Ben's 21st round on record was a 12.0 (from World's Biggest 2006 2nd Round), a round that was keeping Ben's handicap low (it was his 3rd best score). Because his new round was higher than the old one, Ben's handicap went up, if only slightly. Had his round not been so hot, his new tenth-lowest score would have been 15.4 (from League Night Finals, Round 2), and his handicap would have changed by increasing as many as four points as a result.

Gavin's 21st round on record had a differential of 25.1 (from League Night in June, 2005). This round didn't count in calculating his handicap, so his handicap did not change due to the dropping of his oldest round. The 14.2 that Gavin scored was his 8th best round on record, though. His previous 10th best (which no longer counts) was a 16.2 (from TOSS 2006 week 7). Dropping 2 full strokes is enough to bring a handicap down by 2 points, and this reflects Gavin's result.

One of the limitations of the current handicap system is that it is not an online system, and it is appreciated that it is difficult to interpret how a your own handicap changes, and what data your own history holds if you haven't been keeping track. It is my desire to create an online system that can be browsed by members so that the mystery can be taken out of the handicap system. Until that time, though, I'll continue to entertain specific questions.

TOSS results posted each week are a database report, and reflect the actual scores and values stored in (and calculated by) the database. If anyone notices an error in the results, please let me know so that I can fix it. If you see something that you don't understand, don't be afraid to ask. It serves to clarify how the system works, and your inquiry may actually lead to the discovery of a bug that needs to be worked out.

The TOSS handicap system is the property of the ODGC, and its use has already been licensed to a third party with all benefits to the ODGC membership. Getting it right will be to the benefit of the ODGC for years to come.

Cheers!

Last edited by Paul Bourgeois on Thu May 31, 2007 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! That just saved me an email. thumbsup

Thanks again for all the work you've put in on this, Paul.

big grin

Brother
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Tuesday Stroke Play League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: