Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Course hardware question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the impressive clergyman
Taco Chef

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Course hardware question Reply with quote

I finally got to JCP the other day (crappy weather!) at least to check it out. I have a question for those who installed it.
The tee signs are wrapped somehow in some kind of plastic. I am interested in copying this process for Dryden. What are the materials? How do you do it? Has it worked out long term or do you have to redo the signs every year?
Thanks.
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current tee signs are not lasting as long as our last ones did (they are starting to buckle a bit from water damage), so I'll go over the previous process, which lasted several seasons until we changed the course layout.

Print 11 x 17 colour maps, and laminate it with as good a process as you can afford. "Staples" or places like it should be able to do this for you.

They are adhered to white-painted plywood, and kept in place with cut pieces of vinyl sign plastic, that you can purchase in a roll from a graphics supply place. (If you're still in Ottawa, just PM me and I'll tell you where you can buy it here).

You can usually get a discount when laminating more pages. We made 2 of every teesign, so that should our signs get vandalized, it would be an easy process to reapply a new sign over the old one.

The plastic that holds the laminated sign to the board is pretty permanent, and hard to mess with, so it should hold up for several seasons. It's a bit time consuming to pre-cut and apply the very-sticky adhesive, but if you get a chain-gang work crew in your basement / kitchen / whatever, it can go fairly quickly.
the impressive clergyman
Taco Chef

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the plastic only covers the already laminated pictures or it folds and wraps around the whole piece of wood backing? I take it you mean the latter.
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plastic covers the outer edges of the laminated sign, both weather proofing the edges of the laminate, and adhering it to the board.

We wrap around the edges of the wood, and tape it to the rear of the board, which looks quite natural on the painted white wood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: