Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League -> Ice League Rules and Regs - debate
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUESTION

If a person uses their Godfather card on a SYN does it count as a SYNing? Can that person have a SYN card used on them again that day? I think they should. It'll cost a lot to do it.

Another one.

Has it always been a rule that a person can only use one SYN card a day? We're selling them in bulk. Shouldn't this allow a person to use as many SYN cards as they want?
Steve Rydell
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you play your Godfather card it negates that SYN card and no other SYN card from anybody can be played on you for that shot. You should be able to get SYNed again by that person later.

I think you should be able to get SYNed once from each player on the course and in turn SYN every player once.

Also:

I don't think you should be able to get SYNed by your partner or play one on yourself. Only you(or your teammate) can play Mulligans on your team.
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I had envisioned it was that SYN cards should be pretty powerful, but somewhat rare. They proved to be too expensive last year, so the price was lowered this season. Last season they were $5 each. This year they are $3/each or 4/$10. Mulligans continue to be available for $2 or 3/$5.

Yes, we sell SYN cards in reduced fees when you buy 4 / $10, so perhaps we can relax the rule during the final few weeks of Ice League, thus allowing multiple uses of SYN cards (both ways) during the final run-up to the Ice Bowl, and also, not curtailing any sales during that final stretch, through fear of being unable to use them in the final few weeks. Call it the Year of SYN, or something like that.

We've always had SYN cards used no more than once per Ice League event on any one person, and similarly, only one to be used per day. The Godfather Card is new this year, and was designed to keep a player free of SYN for a week. However, to my knowledge, nobody who has a Godfather Card has been given a SYN since they obtained their GF (except for me, and I forgot to use my GF card on Rolly the Synner). Thus, gaining a Godfather Card has been perhaps too powerful, as it's kept the Godfathers (Kiwi, Don, Euro, and Claus) syn-free for much more than a week.

So, I've given it some thought, and I concur with your opinions, and given the reality of play so far this season....

THUS... If a player uses a Godfather Card when getting synned to negate the SYN Card, that SYN Card is effectively negated itself as if it never existed, thus allowing the giver of the SYN Card to do so again to any player he sees, and for the former Godfather Card owner to be synned by any player who sees his throw.

That adjustment still makes the maximum of 1 SYN Card given and received rule to be in effect. Starting in the new year, we cah have a SYN Card frenzy, just to boost the flavour of season's end.

I think that's a pretty good compromise. Cool? Cool

Last edited by Splash on Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Rydell
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With those rules could a player double SYN a shot to negate the use of a Godfather card?
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure... you could put it that way.

One SYN Card negates the GF. The next one negates the shot.

People can still SYN for good... in other words, you can SYN your partner... but you can also give him one of your extra Mulligan cards too, which is cheaper for the same action.

That way, the people who are left with SYN cards at the end of a day, or at the end of a season, or for whatever other reason, can still use their SYN cards to negate whatever bad/good shot they can see.
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. Donnie perhaps a overview of all the ice league rules should be posted somewhere. Maybe there is already. It's just a little hard to keep track of things in multiple postings.
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the name of a SYN card defines what it's allowed to do. Screw Your NEIGHBOUR. Your neighbour is not you, nor is your partner. It should only be used to screw another team. Mullies are for yourself, and maybe your partner - though I could easily be convinced that they are not transferable, or that they are.

On the Godfather thingy, I think that if Player A is SYN'd and chooses to use their Godfather card, that annuls the SYN, and is therefore open to be SYN'd again. I do think they should be allowed amnesty on that hole though. Does that mean that Person B SYNing didn't happen? Can they SYN again, or SYN for the first time, as the other one didn't happen.
Steve Rydell
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Godfather cards should protect the shot so that no further SYN cards can be played to negate the throw.

To add another wrinkle I also think that a Godfather card should be playable on another team to not allow mulligans to be played on a team's throws.

To make it more powerful you could also play that not only do you disallow mulligans you get to choose which of the throws the other team must use.

Also Godfather cards cannot be used to cancel a Godfather card.
peachgrinder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBrotherPenton wrote:
On the Godfather thingy, I think that if Player A is SYN'd and chooses to use their Godfather card, that annuls the SYN, and is therefore open to be SYN'd again. I do think they should be allowed amnesty on that hole though. Does that mean that Person B SYNing didn't happen? Can they SYN again, or SYN for the first time, as the other one didn't happen.

I agree with this... the whole purpose of the Godfather is to be powerful and give you that power over ONE shot. There is a strategy... some people who have SYN cards must think about using it to FORCE people to play their Godfather card. Otherwise, we are left at status quo and it is not necessarily a great situation.

P
OMR
ODGC Marketing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't we just play golf?
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here Here
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we can. But the prupose of IL and the IB is to raise money. If you can come up with other ways to raise the $$ then put them forward.
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't make me sell myself eek

Last edited by Roxie on Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
OMR
ODGC Marketing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Again...
Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooo...we'd make a mint there... sarcastic eye roll

puking

Brother
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off yo momma alone Razz
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I asked don this the other day also:
my 2c
I think if I used a GF card, that i should still be eligable to be sinned, as I still have not been sinned that day. The GF card is still alive until my next shot, so in other words if I get syned, I GF card it, no one can syn me again until my next shot,

Being able to be syned more then once a day??hmm, thats a good one, tough call,
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At what distance if you are syned or muli can you use/not use the same disc? putting circle??
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your disc is in the basket you can reuse that disc. If it isn't you must use another disc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Ice League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: